Batch File Help

I'm trying to write a batch file to delete the contents of a directory on
the c drive and the subfolders with in it. In the old days I used DELTREE,
but I guess it isn't in XP/2000.

Can someone tell me how do delete the Folder1 and all it's contents:

C:\Folder1\pictures\open issue\*.jpg

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about batch file help

    I too am trying to write a batch file so I can delete the files and sub
    directories under the temp folder (C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local
    Settings\Temp) so I would really like to see how this is done.

    All help is greatly appreciated.

    ~Olam

    "FJ" wrote:

    > I'm trying to write a batch file to delete the contents of a directory on
    > the c drive and the subfolders with in it. In the old days I used DELTREE,
    > but I guess it isn't in XP/2000.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how do delete the Folder1 and all it's contents:
    >
    > C:\Folder1\pictures\open issue\*.jpg
    >
    > Thanks.

    Figured it out:
    Use the rmdir command
    rmdir folder1 /S /Q

    "Olam" <Olam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I too am trying to write a batch file so I can delete the files and sub
    > directories under the temp folder (C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local
    > Settings\Temp) so I would really like to see how this is done.
    >
    > All help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > ~Olam
    >

    > "FJ" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to write a batch file to delete the contents of a directory on
    >> the c drive and the subfolders with in it. In the old days I used
    >> DELTREE,
    >> but I guess it isn't in XP/2000.
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me how do delete the Folder1 and all it's contents:
    >>
    >> C:\Folder1\pictures\open issue\*.jpg
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    I still cannot get mine to work. This is what I have in my bat/cmd file
    rmdir /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\Jeremy Johnston\Local
    Settings\Temp\*.*"
    I get the following error at the cmd prompt
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

    At first I had it deleting all the files in the temp but it left all of the
    sub directories. ???

    Olam wrote:

    > I still cannot get mine to work. This is what I have in my bat/cmd file
    > rmdir /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\Jeremy Johnston\Local
    > Settings\Temp\*.*"
    > I get the following error at the cmd prompt
    > The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
    >
    > At first I had it deleting all the files in the temp but it left all of the
    > sub directories. ???

    Hi,

    See tip 617 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com/reghack.htm

    DELTREE.BAT "c:\My Test Folder"

    To delete files and sub directories under the temp folder:

    DELTREE.BAT "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp"

    Deltree.bat contains:

    @echo off
    pushd %1
    del /q *.*
    for /f "Tokens=*" %%i in ('dir /B') do rd /s /q "%%i"
    popd

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Microsoft Windows