1. I'm going to buy NWN and try it out, but I'm thinking of waiting on
the two expansions. So I was wondering if someone could list all the
things that the expansions add to the single-player, original NWN
campaign that I might miss out on. What prestige classes, spells, items,
etc.? Is it a big deal not to have these in the game?

2. I just installed the demo, and I've noticed two problems: the in-game
cursor (the hand) always flashes rapidly, so that I can hardly see it.
It's more or less like a blur. The other problem is that every time I
click in the game, the click leaves a black square on the screen that
blocks out whatever is there, the graphics, text, etc. This could just
be the demo, but how can I fix this?

"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 1. I'm going to buy NWN and try it out, but I'm thinking of waiting on
> the two expansions. So I was wondering if someone could list all the
> things that the expansions add to the single-player, original NWN
> campaign that I might miss out on. What prestige classes, spells, items,
> etc.? Is it a big deal not to have these in the game?
>
> 2. I just installed the demo, and I've noticed two problems: the in-game
> cursor (the hand) always flashes rapidly, so that I can hardly see it.
> It's more or less like a blur. The other problem is that every time I
> click in the game, the click leaves a black square on the screen that
> blocks out whatever is there, the graphics, text, etc. This could just
> be the demo, but how can I fix this?

First question: Too much to type. Check the bioware website.

Second question: What are your system specs? Have you downloaded the latest
drivers for you video card?

You might also try searching the groups on google.com for answers to your
questions.

Windigo

David

The issue is that many of the user modules require the 2 official
expansions. They need to sell the entire package on a DVD!

The Underdark expansion is fun, the 2nd one is OK

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:47:00 -0400, John Salerno
<johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>1. I'm going to buy NWN and try it out, but I'm thinking of waiting on
>the two expansions. So I was wondering if someone could list all the
>things that the expansions add to the single-player, original NWN
>campaign that I might miss out on. What prestige classes, spells, items,
>etc.? Is it a big deal not to have these in the game?
>
>2. I just installed the demo, and I've noticed two problems: the in-game
>cursor (the hand) always flashes rapidly, so that I can hardly see it.
>It's more or less like a blur. The other problem is that every time I
>click in the game, the click leaves a black square on the screen that
>blocks out whatever is there, the graphics, text, etc. This could just
>be the demo, but how can I fix this?

"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 1. I'm going to buy NWN and try it out, but I'm thinking of waiting on
> the two expansions. So I was wondering if someone could list all the
> things that the expansions add to the single-player, original NWN
> campaign that I might miss out on. What prestige classes, spells, items,
> etc.? Is it a big deal not to have these in the game?
>
> 2. I just installed the demo, and I've noticed two problems: the in-game
> cursor (the hand) always flashes rapidly, so that I can hardly see it.
> It's more or less like a blur. The other problem is that every time I
> click in the game, the click leaves a black square on the screen that
> blocks out whatever is there, the graphics, text, etc. This could just
> be the demo, but how can I fix this?

This is three questions

David wrote:

> The issue is that many of the user modules require the 2 official
> expansions. They need to sell the entire package on a DVD!

I plan to get them if I want to keep playing the game, I just mean as
far as playing the original campaign, should I have them.

NIB

John Salerno wrote:

> 1. I'm going to buy NWN and try it out, but I'm thinking of waiting on
> the two expansions. So I was wondering if someone could list all the
> things that the expansions add to the single-player, original NWN
> campaign that I might miss out on. What prestige classes, spells, items,
> etc.? Is it a big deal not to have these in the game?
>
> 2. I just installed the demo, and I've noticed two problems: the in-game
> cursor (the hand) always flashes rapidly, so that I can hardly see it.
> It's more or less like a blur. The other problem is that every time I
> click in the game, the click leaves a black square on the screen that
> blocks out whatever is there, the graphics, text, etc. This could just
> be the demo, but how can I fix this?

1) There is more than enough content and classes in the original game so
that there really isn't a need to get the expansions right off the bat.
Plus, you play the first expansion at level 1 anyway so you can worry
about prestige classes then.

2) I've never had this problem but realize there are many updates to the
retail version so likely this problem was fixed somewhere in one of
those updates.

nib

Windigo wrote:

> Second question: What are your system specs? Have you downloaded the latest
> drivers for you video card?

How do I do that?

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:47:00 -0400, John Salerno <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>1. I'm going to buy NWN and try it out, but I'm thinking of waiting on
>the two expansions. So I was wondering if someone could list all the
>things that the expansions add to the single-player, original NWN
>campaign that I might miss out on. What prestige classes, spells, items,
>etc.? Is it a big deal not to have these in the game?

IMO, NWN is not worth the money. Slow pace of the game, inconsistent
implementation of D&D 3.x rules, and sheer cost are factors
(50NWN+30SOU+30HOTU).

Don't get me wrong -- it's a fun game, but the ROI is on the low side.

eudas
Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:47:00 -0400, John Salerno wrote:
> 1. I'm going to buy NWN and try it out, but I'm thinking of waiting
> on the two expansions. So I was wondering if someone could list all
> the things that the expansions add to the single-player, original NWN
> campaign that I might miss out on. What prestige classes, spells,
> items, etc.? Is it a big deal not to have these in the game?

If you're going to buy NWN, buy NWN Gold. It comes with the first
expansion and is much cheaper than buying the two separately.

> 2. I just installed the demo, and I've noticed two problems: the
> in-game cursor (the hand) always flashes rapidly, so that I can
> hardly see it. It's more or less like a blur. The other problem is
> that every time I click in the game, the click leaves a black square
> on the screen that blocks out whatever is there, the graphics, text,
> etc. This could just be the demo, but how can I fix this?

I can't speak specifically to NWN, but demos are usually released when
(or before) the game itself and are rarely patched. NWN has a number of
updates that you can download when you install the game. They may (or
may not) fix your problems. Check the Bioware website and ensure your
system meets the minimum requirements. You can also check to see if any
of the updates fixes issues like you're seeing on your machine.

- W. Citoan
--
What signature?

John Salerno wrote:
> Windigo wrote:
>
>> Second question: What are your system specs? Have you downloaded the
>> latest drivers for you video card?
>
> How do I do that?

Find out what videocard you have (what the chip is called and who made the
card). Log onto the manufacturers website, and find the download section,
click drivers and choose your card. Once downloaded it should be easy
enough.

Devast8or

Devast8or wrote:

> Find out what videocard you have (what the chip is called and who made the
> card). Log onto the manufacturers website, and find the download section,
> click drivers and choose your card. Once downloaded it should be easy
> enough.

Well, I have a Mobility Radeon 7500, and I went there and looked for
drivers, but it came up with something for XP Media Center Edition or
something like that, it didn't look right. But there's no automatic kind
of update for this?

John Salerno wrote:
> Devast8or wrote:
>

>> Find out what videocard you have (what the chip is called and who
>> made the card). Log onto the manufacturers website, and find the
>> download section, click drivers and choose your card. Once
>> downloaded it should be easy enough.
>
> Well, I have a Mobility Radeon 7500, and I went there and looked for
> drivers, but it came up with something for XP Media Center Edition or
> something like that, it didn't look right.

Is this the place
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=
graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=6&submit.y=10 ?

It looks like the right place to me (provided you use Windows XP), but it
looks like you need something else besides the driver. I don't much about
WinXP so I can' help you with that.

> But there's no automatic
> kind
> of update for this?

Not that I know of.

Devast8or

Devast8or wrote:

> Is this the place
> http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=
> graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=6&submit.y=10 ?
>
> It looks like the right place to me (provided you use Windows XP), but it
> looks like you need something else besides the driver. I don't much about
> WinXP so I can' help you with that.

Yeah, that looks like where I was, but it seems to be for a different
version of Windows than I have, even though I chose the normal XP on the
screen before.

> Devast8or wrote:
>
> > Is this the place

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=
> > graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=6&submit.y=10 ?
> >
> > It looks like the right place to me (provided you use Windows XP), but
it
> > looks like you need something else besides the driver. I don't much
about
> > WinXP so I can' help you with that.
>
> Yeah, that looks like where I was, but it seems to be for a different
> version of Windows than I have, even though I chose the normal XP on the
> screen before.

First, is your computer a laptop? If so you probably need to download the
drivers from the computer manufacturer. Take a look at this url
http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/laptops/index.html

Second, what is the speed of your processor and how much RAM do you have?

Windigo

John Salerno wrote:

> 1. I'm going to buy NWN and try it out, but I'm thinking of waiting on
> the two expansions. So I was wondering if someone could list all the
> things that the expansions add to the single-player, original NWN
> campaign that I might miss out on. What prestige classes, spells, items,
> etc.? Is it a big deal not to have these in the game?

IMO, yes. The numerous additional feats and spells help beef up some of
the core classes and make them far more enjoyable. (I can't imagine
playing a paladin without Divine Might/Shield [added in SoU]. Also, Holy
Weapons [spell added in HotU] gives you an automatic Holy Avenger with
whatever you're wielding.)

Also, you'll get into the mid-to-upper teens in levels, more than enough
to give the prestige classes a whirl. Of course, in the OC, you won't
get to experience the improved henchmen AI and inventory control,
additional tilesets and creatures, etc.; but, the added feats, spells,
skills and PrCs are worth having for the OC.

Not to mention, the real fun of NWN is all the user-made modules; and
all the newer ones are requiring SoU + HotU.

> 2. I just installed the demo, and I've noticed two problems: the in-game
> cursor (the hand) always flashes rapidly, so that I can hardly see it.

Sounds like a hardware mouse issue. Check this setting under your Video
options and change it and see if that helps.

> The other problem is that every time I
> click in the game, the click leaves a black square on the screen that
> blocks out whatever is there, the graphics, text, etc. This could just
> be the demo, but how can I fix this?

Probably just the demo, which is a very early version. The official
patch is up to version 1.62, which means about 42 actual patches have
been released. (They skipped 20 numbers going from the last SoU patch to
the initial HotU patch.)
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

If you insist on emailing me, remove all the **JUNK** first

Windigo wrote:

> First, is your computer a laptop? If so you probably need to download the
> drivers from the computer manufacturer. Take a look at this url
> http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/laptops/index.html

Yeah, it's a laptop. Sometimes I forget how those are treated
differently, especially for games. I'll give that link a look.

> Second, what is the speed of your processor and how much RAM do you have?

1.7 ghz, 512 mb RAM, and 32 mb video memory

I'm pretty sure my computer is more than capable of running the game,
it's just the fact that it's a laptop that could be trouble. I remember
I had some minor graphical issues with Morrowind that I *think* was
because I used a laptop.

Barry Scott Will wrote:

> to give the prestige classes a whirl. Of course, in the OC, you won't
> get to experience the improved henchmen AI and inventory control,

Why won't you be able to do that? Is that just for the modules that come
with those features?

> Windigo wrote:
>
> > First, is your computer a laptop? If so you probably need to download
the
> > drivers from the computer manufacturer. Take a look at this url
> > http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/laptops/index.html
>
> Yeah, it's a laptop. Sometimes I forget how those are treated
> differently, especially for games. I'll give that link a look.
>
> > Second, what is the speed of your processor and how much RAM do you
have?

> 1.7 ghz, 512 mb RAM, and 32 mb video memory
>
> I'm pretty sure my computer is more than capable of running the game,
> it's just the fact that it's a laptop that could be trouble. I remember
> I had some minor graphical issues with Morrowind that I *think* was
> because I used a laptop.

Make sure you have the newest drivers available for your computer. 32MB is
going to be marginal but with all the eye candy turned off, it should be
playable I have a 2.4 GHz laptop with 512MB and Radeon video that uses
shared memory. With the share maxed out to 128MB I get a good playing
experience. With anything less in shared memory game play degrades rapidly
unless I turn off all the extras.

Windigo

"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 2. I just installed the demo, and I've noticed two problems: the in-game
> cursor (the hand) always flashes rapidly, so that I can hardly see it.
> It's more or less like a blur. The other problem is that every time I
> click in the game, the click leaves a black square on the screen that
> blocks out whatever is there, the graphics, text, etc. This could just
> be the demo, but how can I fix this?
Hey John,
I had this same problem when I first bought the Original NWN, with the
flashing hand cursur. An update to my video driver seemed to fix the
problem, or it could have been a combo of video driver and game patch. Im
running an ATI radeon, and I would guess you are running an ATI as well?
becuase a buddy of mine running an Nvidia didnt have this problem, but thats
just a weird guess. bottom line is the Demo is old now so if you decide to
purchase the game you should be fine once you patch it up...

Cheers

QUINN R PAYNE wrote:

> Hey John,
> I had this same problem when I first bought the Original NWN, with the
> flashing hand cursur. An update to my video driver seemed to fix the
> problem, or it could have been a combo of video driver and game patch. Im
> running an ATI radeon, and I would guess you are running an ATI as well?

Funny thing is, the problem with the black square that appears doesn't
just happen in the demo. Whenever certain screensavers come on (the ones
that came with Plus for XP), wherever my cursor was on the screen when
the screensaver comes on becomes a black square too. So given that, it
seems to me my problem and not the demo. I'm just trying to find the
right way to update my drivers.

John Salerno wrote:
> Barry Scott Will wrote:
>
>> to give the prestige classes a whirl. Of course, in the OC, you won't
>> get to experience the improved henchmen AI and inventory control,
>

> Why won't you be able to do that? Is that just for the modules that come
> with those features?

Yes. The module has to have been built with the SoU/HotU henchmen
scripts. The NWN OC still uses the original scripts. However, there is a
mod for the game that allows SoU/HotU style henchman control in the OC,
so even that is not completely lost.
--

Windigo wrote:

> Make sure you have the newest drivers available for your computer.

Still working on that. I want to make sure I'm installing the right
thing, and not screw anything up. How big of a deal is video memory? I
got my computer in May of '02, so was NWN even out yet? I can't imagine
my computer is behind in any of the system recommendations.

John Salerno wrote:

> Windigo wrote:
>
>> Make sure you have the newest drivers available for your computer.
>

> Still working on that.

Doesn't look like there are any updates. I guess I'll have to wait and
see how NWN works before I do anything else.

David

No. And there are alot of modules that are NWN only. Note sure how
high a level you can go with NWN only. I guess I would get the Gold
BOX with the first 2 and then get the third if you enjoy the game.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:30:06 -0400, John Salerno

eudas wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:47:00 -0400, John Salerno <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>1. I'm going to buy NWN and try it out, but I'm thinking of waiting on
>>the two expansions. So I was wondering if someone could list all the
>>things that the expansions add to the single-player, original NWN
>>campaign that I might miss out on. What prestige classes, spells, items,
>>etc.? Is it a big deal not to have these in the game?
>

> IMO, NWN is not worth the money. Slow pace of the game, inconsistent
> implementation of D&D 3.x rules, and sheer cost are factors
> (50NWN+30SOU+30HOTU).
>
> Don't get me wrong -- it's a fun game, but the ROI is on the low side.
>
> eudas
> Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.

Just buy the gold edition and HotU - much cheaper.

Kharsis