Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811233006
proc: E6400 2.13 core 2 duo
power:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817190007
cd:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106048
vid:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130056
ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590

my old mobo booted up fine the first two times, the second time i went into the bios and the cd drive was labeled as slave, not master, so i turned it off and it wouldnt display on the monitor anymore, mobo said a vga error, but whenever the ide cable was plugged in, it shorted the cd drive, which no longer got power unless the ide cable was unplugged. Gonna test my vid card later today, but im pretty sure i need a new mobo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138037

Im thinking of getting a different mobo that will not fail me, maybe a little more expensive than that one. ANY suggestions?

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I have the MSI 975x Platinum Power up OEM New, that was the Editors choice here on Toms last month.

Yours for $110, shipped to the lower 48.

Got the evga 680i while I was waiting on it to arrive.

Try clearing the CMOS and see if that corrects the issue. Next try updating to the latest BIOS version.

If the CD-ROM was showing up as Slave and not Master in the BIOS, why did you disable it? Are the CD-ROM jumpers set to the proper MASTER/SLAVE position? Is the CD-ROM the 1st or 2nd device on the IDE ribbon cable? If the CD-ROM is supposed to be the MASTER and it is in the 2nd position on the ribbon cable, the BIOS may not know how to identify it. Ideally, if the CD-ROM is jumpered to MASTER then is should be the 1st device on the ribbon cable, that is to say the device plugged in at the opposite end of the ribbon cable from where it is plugged into the mobo. The SLAVE device attaches to the ribbon cable in the middle, whether it is a hard drive or CD-ROM; again, just be sure the device is jumpered properly. And, if you have two devices on the ribbon cable, set one to be the MASTER and the other to either SLAVE or CABLE SELECT.

If it would not show on the monitor anymore, how did you know that it was a vga error? Beep codes?

Why changing the BIOS setting for the ROM caused a vga error and why it would stop the ROM from getting power unless the IDE ribbon cable was unplugged baffles me. One should not be related to the other unless you inadvertently changed some BIOS settings other than the IDE CD-ROM settings. Anything "shorting" out to anything else is an electrical or power supply issue, whether is be a bad ground, bad wires, or bad PSU, not a BIOS issue.

Like I said, reset the BIOS and/or update to the latest version, either way it will set the BIOS to defaults and should remove any device conflicts.

atles

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
ill try to be more clear, i started it again this afternoon, and it booted up again, but when i put the mobo bios cd in, 10 seconds later i lost display. then like usual everything would power up besides the cd drive, and there would be no display although my video card is on (judging by the fan). the mobo has 2 leds, which display that its a vga error. I changed the jumpers to master on the cdrom, and I cleared the Cmos, no difference. Im thinking i just need to get a new motherboard....Whats my best bet.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Is there onboard video? It's possible that your MB isn't detecting you video properly and jumping to the onboard instead (possible reason for the VGA error). Might try reseating your video card and see what happens along with plugging the monitor into the onboard slot to see if the onboard video is coming up.

Ok...you hit the power button, it POST'ed, and attempted to boot off the mobo BIOS CD or boot into the OS? Why were you putting in the BIOS CD, trying to update the BIOS? I checked out Biostar's site for this mobo and there are no updated BIOS's to be had, so it should have come from the factory with the "latest" BIOS already installed. Have you installed an OS/Windows? Does it boot into the OS/Windows when you don't use the BIOS CD?

atles

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
alright, im new at this, but i had a friend build it with me. Though ive tried to boot it in as many different ways possible, trying to find the problem, i have the same biostar tseries coming in the mail, because im pretty sure its the mobo, oh and now for some reason it says there is a memory error on teh board. Is that because my memory is 1.9v and the requirement is 1.8? All i really want to know is whether my system is compatible and whether im just wasting my time with an incompatible system. So basically i have maybe 3 ongoing problems with the cd drive, vga, and memory, or its my broken mobo that came NEW retail from newegg, in an opened package.

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I suspect RAM.

RAM compatibility can be a pain. Sometimes you need another brand to boot to update the bios. If the other posters info about no new bios updates is true, then you might have to just wait or find different RAM. A friend with some RAM can come in handy. I wonder if your new board will have the same rev bios.

Also, the PSU can be the last place we look sometimes, but it should be the first. Does your friend have one you can swap in to test?

-M

atles

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
wow it seems like every morning i can get it to boot up for about 10 seconds one time. Today it said in the boot up screen before the bios cmos checksum error due to cpu change, then told me to boot up in cmos and change the settings. Well i figured the cpu was overheating or the fan wasnt mounted correctly so i twinked around with that stuff, but it still wont boot up. The power is on with all the fans running, im just not sure the components themselves are getting power? Since this posed so much more of a problem than i ever imagined it would, im gettnig a new mobo tommorow and if that doesnt solve it, im taking her in to a pro.