XP Registry

Does any one knows where Windows XP stores it's registry (in W9x it was
used to be the registry file) in a partitioned HD ???

The partitions are (or should be) Part1 = work; Part2 = games & fun; Part3
= Data. Note that Part1 & Part2 are both NTFS and Primary partitions and
Part3 is FAT32 Extended partition.

In the current schema, Part1 & Part2 seems to be sharing their registry,
which is incompatible with the idea of having a partition for the serious
work and other just for fun!

Thanks every body!

One NTUSER.DAT for each user on the machine, some templates and repair.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\NTUSER.DAT
C:\WINDOWS\repair

All hives are stored in %systemroot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG. Except
HKEY_CURRENT_USER. That's stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Name Here.

The major hives and their files are as follows:

Hive File Backup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE.LOG
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY SECURITY SECURITY.LOG
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM SYSTEM SYSTEM.LOG
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM SAM SAM.LOG
HKEY_CURRENT_USER NTUSER.DAT ntuser.dat.LOG
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT DEFAULT DEFAULT.LOG

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:pan.2005.01.31.00.11.27.953898@realizanet.com.br,
Marcelo Mazini <marcelo.mazini@realizanet.com.br> hunted and pecked:
> Does any one knows where Windows XP stores it's registry (in W9x it
> was used to be the registry file) in a partitioned HD ???
>
> The partitions are (or should be) Part1 = work; Part2 = games & fun;
> Part3 = Data. Note that Part1 & Part2 are both NTFS and Primary
> partitions and Part3 is FAT32 Extended partition.
>
> In the current schema, Part1 & Part2 seems to be sharing their
> registry, which is incompatible with the idea of having a partition
> for the serious work and other just for fun!
>
> Thanks every body!

I appreciate all help I receive, but I don't think it works:

What have happened is that for the configuration described, each new
program added to Part1, has the same entry copied to Part2, and the same
occurs when writting to Part2, despite both partitions where placed in a
different region, having in common just Part3, with "C:\Documents and
Settings\..." stored in C: (in Partx), which in instance is HIDED by the
boot manager (I have two C: drives, Part1 & Part2, one at a time).

In other means: when 1 is active, 2 is hiden. When 2 is active, 1 is
hiden! In no circunstances they should see each other: fun and work
should never meet one another! But they do!

That's the face of my trouble!

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:22:41 -0700, Wesley Vogel
wrote:

> One NTUSER.DAT for each user on the machine, some templates and repair.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator C:\Documents and Settings\Default
> User C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService C:\Documents and
> Settings\NetworkService C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name
> Here\NTUSER.DAT C:\WINDOWS\repair
>
> All hives are stored in %systemroot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG. Except
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER. That's stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Name Here.
>
> The major hives and their files are as follows:
>
> Hive File
> Backup
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE.LOG
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY SECURITY SECURITY.LOG
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM SYSTEM SYSTEM.LOG
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM SAM SAM.LOG
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER NTUSER.DAT ntuser.dat.LOG
> HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT DEFAULT DEFAULT.LOG

You're better off setting up user accounts and controlling things that way.

Marcelo Mazini wrote:

>Does any one knows where Windows XP stores it's registry (in W9x it was
>used to be the registry file) in a partitioned HD ???
>
>The partitions are (or should be) Part1 = work; Part2 = games & fun; Part3
>= Data. Note that Part1 & Part2 are both NTFS and Primary partitions and
>Part3 is FAT32 Extended partition.

The registry has almost nothing to do with partitioning. Its files are
held in windows\system32\config, and should be left strictly alone

Marcelo Mazini wrote:
> Does any one knows where Windows XP stores it's registry (in W9x it was
> used to be the registry file) in a partitioned HD ???

The partitioning of the hard drive is largely irrelevant. The
registry can be found in %Windir%\System32\Config\. On a normal clean
installation or an upgrade from Win9x, the full path is
C:\Windows\System32\Config. On a system upgraded from WinNT or Win2K,
the path will be C:\Winnt\System32\Config. It'll be divided into
several data files, such as Security, Software, and System, that
represent the various Hives. The user-specific portion of the registry
is stored in each user profile, in a file named NTUser.dat. Do not
attempt to alter these files unless you know *exactly* what you're doing
- and you don't, or you wouldn't have had to ask the question - or
you're prepared to reinstall the OS.

> The partitions are (or should be) Part1 = work; Part2 = games & fun; Part3
> = Data. Note that Part1 & Part2 are both NTFS and Primary partitions and
> Part3 is FAT32 Extended partition.
>
> In the current schema, Part1 & Part2 seems to be sharing their registry,
> which is incompatible with the idea of having a partition for the serious
> work and other just for fun!

I can't imagine where you'd have gotten the idea that there'd be a
separate registry for each partition. Such would be the case *only* if
you were dual-booting, and had a separate installation of the OS on each
partition. If you've only one installation of WinXP, you'll have only
one registry.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

try running "regedit" as per other OS's.

"Marcelo Mazini" <marcelo.mazini@realizanet.com.br> wrote in message
> Does any one knows where Windows XP stores it's registry (in W9x it was
> used to be the registry file) in a partitioned HD ???
>
> The partitions are (or should be) Part1 = work; Part2 = games & fun; Part3
> = Data. Note that Part1 & Part2 are both NTFS and Primary partitions and
> Part3 is FAT32 Extended partition.
>
> In the current schema, Part1 & Part2 seems to be sharing their registry,
> which is incompatible with the idea of having a partition for the serious
> work and other just for fun!
>
> Thanks every body!

Oh, well...

There should be something of sourcery in Win XP, cause
there's no reasonable explanation (until now) about why one partition
shares it's data with other.

The whole reazon for doing it, is an attempt to enhance the overal
security of the system.

As the usual, I must to thanks to all posts: a path was started and, if
this path is wrong, there's nothing to do except leave it!

Thanks everybody!