Peer-to-Peer Connection of Two PCs

I am looking for RELIABLE INSTRUCTIONS for peer-to-peer connection of two PCs
running WINDOWS-2000.

The PCs have a network-card and are connected by a “cross-over” cable.

The connection is only for occasional file-transfer between the PCs and no
access to the Internet is required.

Thank you.

Something here should help.

http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/netgeneral/

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"ATK31" wrote:
|I am looking for RELIABLE INSTRUCTIONS for peer-to-peer connection of two
PCs
| running WINDOWS-2000.
|
| The PCs have a network-card and are connected by a "cross-over" cable.
|
| The connection is only for occasional file-transfer between the PCs and no
| access to the Internet is required.
|
| Thank you.

DL,

www.practicallynetworked.com provides no relevant data.

compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsnetworking/tp/winfilesharing.htm provides
some tips for troubleshooting but no instructions.

Dave Patrick,

www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/netgeneral/ provides no relevant data.

What is the use of providing USELESS links?

Actually I found the site pretty good. And ATK32 a suggestion. Configure
your Newsreader so it is clear what you are responding to and what the
person you are responding to said. Below you will see yours and Daves
comments are intertwined.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"ATK31" <ATK31@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> DL,
>
> www.practicallynetworked.com provides no relevant data.
>
> compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsnetworking/tp/winfilesharing.htm
provides
> some tips for troubleshooting but no instructions.
>
> Dave Patrick,
>
> www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/netgeneral/ provides no relevant data.
>
> What is the use of providing USELESS links?

George,

1. NOTHING is "interwined" in my previous posting. I replied to DL and to
Dave Patrick.

2. DO YOU HAVE A REPLY TO MY QUESTION?

ATK31 wrote:
> I am looking for RELIABLE INSTRUCTIONS for peer-to-peer connection of two PCs
> running WINDOWS-2000.
>
> The PCs have a network-card and are connected by a "cross-over" cable.
>
> The connection is only for occasional file-transfer between the PCs and no
> access to the Internet is required.
>
> Thank you.

Configuring Windows 2000 Professional to Work in a Peer-to-Peer
Network
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q258717

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Thank you Bruce,

The article seems to focus on connecting a PC running Windows-2000 to a PC
running Windows-95/98.
Is the setting the same with BOTH PCs running Windows-2000?

Isn't there a need to set appropriate IP addresses to the two PCs?
The article does not mention this issue.

Thank you for your help.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> ATK31 wrote:
> > I am looking for RELIABLE INSTRUCTIONS for peer-to-peer connection of two PCs
> > running WINDOWS-2000.
> >
> > The PCs have a network-card and are connected by a “cross-over” cable.
> >
> > The connection is only for occasional file-transfer between the PCs and no
> > access to the Internet is required.
> >
> > Thank you.
>

> Configuring Windows 2000 Professional to Work in a Peer-to-Peer
> Network
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q258717

> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

dl

If win2k Help, doesnt do it for you;
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsnetworking/tp/winfilesharing.htm

> I am looking for RELIABLE INSTRUCTIONS for peer-to-peer connection of two
PCs
> running WINDOWS-2000.
>
> The PCs have a network-card and are connected by a "cross-over" cable.
>
> The connection is only for occasional file-transfer between the PCs and no
> access to the Internet is required.
>
> Thank you.

I didn't know you asked a question. You stated, "provides no relevant
data." And then you asked a rehtorical question which really doesn't need
an answer. But I'll give it a shot - None. Hows that?

Now as for the suggestion I made about configuring your Newsreader so that
your post to somone's post were clearly delimited - well I tried.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
> George,
>
> 1. NOTHING is "interwined" in my previous posting. I replied to DL and to
> Dave Patrick.
>
> 2. DO YOU HAVE A REPLY TO MY QUESTION?

This requires some effort on your part.

--

"ATK31" wrote:
| DL,
|
| www.practicallynetworked.com provides no relevant data.
|
| compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsnetworking/tp/winfilesharing.htm
provides
| some tips for troubleshooting but no instructions.
|
| Dave Patrick,
|
| www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/netgeneral/ provides no relevant data.
|
| What is the use of providing USELESS links?

dl

obviously you have a little difficulty in reading