Recommendations for a New Video Card

Houndar

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
After Christmas I have found myself with $300 in Amazon gift cards, so I decided that I might use that money to upgrade my video card.

Currently I have an AMD64 3000+, with 1 Gig of Ram and a Geforce 6600Gt card. I have been debating back and forth on what type of upgrade I should go for. Just a minor upgrade, or if I should go above and beyond my GC and pay a little extra.

Mostly, I play World of Warcraft on my box, so I know I dont NEED a huge card, but I would like to start playing some of the newer games when I have time. (Mostly play with my wife online.... )

That being said, I am a big confused. Part of me wants to go ahead and get a DX10 ready card (as I hope to be doing full system upgrades in the Summer), but I don't want to get the card and be disappointed with it.

Suggestions, ideas??

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
After Christmas I have found myself with $300 in Amazon gift cards, so I decided that I might use that money to upgrade my video card.

Currently I have an AMD64 3000+, with 1 Gig of Ram and a Geforce 6600Gt card. I have been debating back and forth on what type of upgrade I should go for. Just a minor upgrade, or if I should go above and beyond my GC and pay a little extra.

Mostly, I play World of Warcraft on my box, so I know I dont NEED a huge card, but I would like to start playing some of the newer games when I have time. (Mostly play with my wife online.... )

That being said, I am a big confused. Part of me wants to go ahead and get a DX10 ready card (as I hope to be doing full system upgrades in the Summer), but I don't want to get the card and be disappointed with it.

Suggestions, ideas??

my opinions:
Well, I would not get a DX10 GPU with a A64 3000+, But If you are running PCI-E you could just get a 8800GTS right now or wait till R600, and upgrade the rest of your system in the summer. you will be able to play the latest games at maximum settings and future proof your Graphics.

cleeve

Illustrious
If you're playing WOW mostly, hold on to that coupon and buy the midrange Dx10 cards that will come out in a couple months.

No need for a Dx10 card yet anyway, hell Dx10 games won't be showing their faces for some time, and your 6600 GT is more than ample for WOW now.

The first rule of upgrading is: never upgrade for something you don't have yet. You're spending extra money for no utility.

Houndar

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
You are probably right... <sigh> Just getting itchy to spend them.... They are calling my name...

Oh wait that is my wife yelling at me to make up my mind and get something... LOL