New modem/router and ports

snkupo

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Hello. A few weeks ago, my old modem (Zyxel 600 series) was destroyed by ligtening. I got a new one from my ISP (a local small provider). This one was of the same type as the old one. Earlier this year, I wanted to be able to open/forward ports, so that I could use torrents/dc/p2p - so I asked how to be able to forward/open ports. From my ISP, they told me that I had to set my router (a Dlink 624) to static IP, and use these settings:

Now, this worked great, and I could forward/open any ports I wanted to. However, now my modem has broken as I said, and I got a new one. I still use the same settings in my D-link 624, but now I can't open any ports!
Also, the best technical guy over at ISP is on vacation, and I can't get him to hear what's wrong (it has to be with my new modem) ? My PC is set up with static IP, and has the same settings as when it worked with my old modem. My router has also got the same settings.

Do you think maybe ISP only can do something about this? I have tried to access config web interface of the modem (Zyxel), but even though I am able to ping it's IP, it does not respond, and wont even give a log-in screen when i try to access its local IP.

Internet: DSL
Modem: Zyxel 600-series
Router Wireless: D-link 624+

snkupo

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Yes, I have internet access with and without the D-link router. Even if I try to enter config without the router connected (Zyxel straight to PC wired), there is no response, not even log in screen.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Ok I'm a little confused now. You have internet access with and without the dlink router. That means the modem is working fine. But you get the dlink admin with out it connected. This is just cache web pages.

You need to clear the internet cache. Then check your port settings to confirm your Ip address. Then connect to the Dlink router. I think the default is "http://192.168.0.1" if you have a ip address like 192.168.0.XXX You should then be greated with a login screen.

If you are use IE you can clear the cache by selecting tools internet options, General tab <temp internet>.

If you are using Fire fox use ctrl+shift+del, then select what you want to clear.

snkupo

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Ok I'm a little confused now. You have internet access with and without the dlink router. That means the modem is working fine. But you get the dlink admin with out it connected. This is just cache web pages.

You need to clear the internet cache. Then check your port settings to confirm your Ip address. Then connect to the Dlink router. I think the default is "http://192.168.0.1" if you have a ip address like 192.168.0.XXX You should then be greated with a login screen.

If you are use IE you can clear the cache by selecting tools internet options, General tab <temp internet>.

If you are using Fire fox use ctrl+shift+del, then select what you want to clear.

No, no, no. I do of course not get the D-link config when its not connected. my problem is that i cant OPEN/FORWARDS PORTS. I believe this has to do with my MODEM (ZYXEL) that I think maybe is LOCKED and can only be configed properl to allow my D-LINK to forward ports by my ISP.. I am not sure however.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
The plot thickens.

The new ZYXEL modem acts like it has a firewall in it.

A quick test. Go to GRC.com proceed to run ShieldsUp. scan common ports. This will check for open ports. Do this with a direct connection to the modem. If all are closed or stealth. You will need to dig up the info on your new modem/router so you can connect to it and change it settings. Most use a url address like "http://config_zyxel/"

snkupo

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks.

All port are locked. I also believe I am not able to access the config (http://xxxxxxxx/) of the Zyxel, as I believe my ISP has blocked this feature. Am I out of luck until my ISP guy is back from vacation?

snkupo

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
As i said I believe my modem is locked. You see, when I try for example 192.168.1.1 (which the guide says) I get no log-in screen or anything.

snkupo

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
It's IP is 10.0.0.1 I can ping it, and it responds. I do not get a loginscreen or any other response though :(

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I bet it uses a name instead of a IP address. I've seen this before on 2-wire products. Need to get a hold of the manual and look it up. I did not find one earler.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
The only info I found refers to the web interface of 192.168.1.1 Use IE for this. And/or 10.0.0.1 because of your current IP address.

Do a direct connect to the modem then launch IE. Enter ip 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and see what happens.

To reset the modem press and hold the reset button for 10 sec. (manual ref 2.1.2.1)

The modem has a auto config firmware. Just by entering www.zyzel.com should lanuch it.

This modem has a full firewall and router functions, including port forwarding.

snkupo

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
The only info I found refers to the web interface of 192.168.1.1 Use IE for this. And/or 10.0.0.1 because of your current IP address.

Do a direct connect to the modem then launch IE. Enter ip 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and see what happens.

To reset the modem press and hold the reset button for 10 sec. (manual ref 2.1.2.1)

The modem has a auto config firmware. Just by entering www.zyzel.com should lanuch it.

This modem has a full firewall and router functions, including port forwarding.

I still can't access it using any of the methods mentioned :(

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
The manual said if that happens to do a reset to factory. Then follow the quick start guide. If you know all the setting to re-enter it's an option. But you may want to wait till their tech gets back.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Thats Not Good. If you can't reset the modem.

If you have downloaded the maunal. There are some cmd line that can be sent to the modem to change settings. You may want to read it an see if anything could help. That manual in twice the size as most routers.

I was have some strange problems with my router that reset to factory was not working. They had another reset procedure that worked. If you want ot try it.

Your modem reset was to hold the reset button for 10 sec. This is what I would try. Watching the lights, press and hold for 20 sec and see if that worked. If not try the procedure below.

Press and hold the reset for 20 sec, pull the power while still holding the reset button in for 20 sec, then power up still holding the rset for another 20 sec.

Now if this is acting up like it is I'm Not sure I would try it. Because you may loose your internet access.