I hate to be so dumb, but it's never stopped me before ---- My computer has
Windows ME on it. I have a brand new full program, not an upgrade for Office
XP Professional. Do I have to UNinstall ME before installing XP? I didn't
think I had to, and I just ran the two disc's to intall XP and when I reboot,
is shows ME as the o/s. Talk to me as if I'm a novice, which isn't all that
far off the mark.

"Sydney" <Sydney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hate to be so dumb, but it's never stopped me before ---- My computer
>has
> Windows ME on it. I have a brand new full program, not an upgrade for
> Office
> XP Professional. Do I have to UNinstall ME before installing XP? I
> didn't
> think I had to, and I just ran the two disc's to intall XP and when I
> reboot,
> is shows ME as the o/s. Talk to me as if I'm a novice, which isn't all
> that
> far off the mark.

Office XPis not an operating system, it's an office suite with Word, etc.

If you want to upgrade the operating system, you'll need either Windows XP
Home or Windows XP Pro.

Well that explains it. Thanks for your help. And back to the drawing
board....
"D.Currie" wrote:

> "Sydney" <Sydney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I hate to be so dumb, but it's never stopped me before ---- My computer
> >has
> > Windows ME on it. I have a brand new full program, not an upgrade for
> > Office
> > XP Professional. Do I have to UNinstall ME before installing XP? I
> > didn't
> > think I had to, and I just ran the two disc's to intall XP and when I
> > reboot,
> > is shows ME as the o/s. Talk to me as if I'm a novice, which isn't all
> > that
> > far off the mark.
>
> Office XPis not an operating system, it's an office suite with Word, etc.
>
> If you want to upgrade the operating system, you'll need either Windows XP
> Home or Windows XP Pro.

When you say you have a full version of Office XP Pro, I assume you meant to
say Windows XP Pro.

If you want to use the XP cd to upgrade ME to XP then insert the cd after ME
is booted and choose Install from the splash screen. That should insure
that you upgrade ME. It sounds like you booted with the XP cd and chose to
install XP in a new folder. That can be deleted if that is the case. Post
back here if it is. That would explain why you still have a functioning ME
installation.

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> When you say you have a full version of Office XP Pro, I assume you meant to
> say Windows XP Pro.

No, the OP was confused between an "office..." product and a
"windows..." product.

Are you talking about Windows XP (the operating system) or MS Office XP (the
suite of applications - Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook) ?

This is the Windows group. I suggest you try the MS Office newsgroup.

"Sydney" <Sydney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hate to be so dumb, but it's never stopped me before ---- My computer
>has
> Windows ME on it. I have a brand new full program, not an upgrade for
> Office
> XP Professional. Do I have to UNinstall ME before installing XP? I
> didn't
> think I had to, and I just ran the two disc's to intall XP and when I
> reboot,
> is shows ME as the o/s. Talk to me as if I'm a novice, which isn't all
> that
> far off the mark.

However, you can still install MS Office XP in Windows ME and use the
applications. it'll run on WIndows XP as well.

> Well that explains it. Thanks for your help. And back to the drawing
> board....
> "D.Currie" wrote:
>

>> "Sydney" <Sydney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I hate to be so dumb, but it's never stopped me before ---- My computer
>> >has
>> > Windows ME on it. I have a brand new full program, not an upgrade for
>> > Office
>> > XP Professional. Do I have to UNinstall ME before installing XP? I
>> > didn't
>> > think I had to, and I just ran the two disc's to intall XP and when I
>> > reboot,
>> > is shows ME as the o/s. Talk to me as if I'm a novice, which isn't all
>> > that
>> > far off the mark.
>>
>> Office XPis not an operating system, it's an office suite with Word, etc.
>>
>> If you want to upgrade the operating system, you'll need either Windows
>> XP
>> Home or Windows XP Pro.

The OP misspoke and meant Windows XP and not Office XP.

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> The OP misspoke and meant Windows XP and not Office XP.

Actually - if you follow the thread (laid out above) you will see clearly
that the OP did not mis-speak (or at least does not admit to it if they did
and seem to agree with the answer given) and no where else in the entire
thread (other branches) replies to the Newsgroups.

Given the thread above I would conclude the OP meant Office XP for two
reasons..

- - They speak in terms of, "ran the two disc's to intall XP" - which leads
me to believe they ran something *in* Windows ME and installed *in* Windows
ME and that thing had two CDs. No Windows XP Operating system (Retail
install) would have two CDs - and to install *in* Windows ME - it would have
to be a retail install.

- - They come back and agree with D.Currie concerning comments that Office
XP is not an Operating System, but an Office Suite.

It is humorous, but not unheard of. I do hope the OP gets what they want in
the end.

--
<- Shenan ->

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message news:%23o4tlm8BFHA.936@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Sydney wrote:
>> I hate to be so dumb, but it's never stopped me before ---- My
>> computer has Windows ME on it. I have a brand new full program,
>> not an upgrade for Office XP Professional. Do I have to UNinstall
>> ME before installing XP?
>>
>> I didn't think I had to, and I just ran the two disc's to intall XP and
>> when I reboot, it shows ME as the o/s. Talk to me as if I'm a novice,
>> which isn't all that far off the mark.
>
> D.Currie wrote:
>> Office XPis not an operating system, it's an office suite with
>> Word, etc.
>>
>> If you want to upgrade the operating system, you'll need either
>> Windows XP Home or Windows XP Pro.
>
> Sydney wrote:
>> Well that explains it. Thanks for your help. And back to the
>> drawing board....
>
> Andrew Murray wrote:
>> However, you can still install MS Office XP in Windows ME and use the
>> applications. it'll run on Windows XP as well.
>
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> The OP misspoke and meant Windows XP and not Office XP.
>
> Actually - if you follow the thread (laid out above) you will see clearly
> that the OP did not mis-speak (or at least does not admit to it if they did
> and seem to agree with the answer given) and no where else in the entire
> thread (other branches) replies to the Newsgroups.
>
> Given the thread above I would conclude the OP meant Office XP for two
> reasons..
>
> - - They speak in terms of, "ran the two disc's to intall XP" - which leads
> me to believe they ran something *in* Windows ME and installed *in* Windows
> ME and that thing had two CDs. No Windows XP Operating system (Retail
> install) would have two CDs - and to install *in* Windows ME - it would have
> to be a retail install.

But Office XP (in any flavor) is all on one disk, there are no multi-disk sets to install Office XP. So, I don't know how you make that conclusion.

> - - They come back and agree with D.Currie concerning comments that Office
> XP is not an Operating System, but an Office Suite.
>
> It is humorous, but not unheard of. I do hope the OP gets what they want in
> the end.

If that is the case, then that makes it plausible.

Tom wrote:
> But Office XP (in any flavor) is all on one disk, there are no
> multi-disk sets to install Office XP. So, I don't know how you make
> that conclusion.

True enough - I must have been on crack there.

--
<- Shenan ->

But the same is true of XP. Only one disc. I wondered about that point in
his post too. What I am hoping is not the case is the pirated copies. I
have seen a two-disc set where the pirate provided the service packs on a
second cd. I didn't want to ask.

> Shenan wrote:
>> - - They speak in terms of, "ran the two disc's to install XP" - which
>> leads me to believe they ran something *in* Windows ME and installed
>> *in* Windows ME and that thing had two CDs. No Windows XP Operating
>> system (Retail install) would have two CDs - and to install *in*
>> Windows ME - it would have to be a retail install.
>
> Tom wrote:
>> But Office XP (in any flavor) is all on one disk, there are no
>> multi-disk sets to install Office XP. So, I don't know how you make
>> that conclusion.
>
> True enough - I must have been on crack there.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Two-disc sets of Office, I mean. Also, a second cd for the trial version of
Contact Manager comes in the Office box.

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> But the same is true of XP. Only one disc. I wondered about that
> point in his post too. What I am hoping is not the case is the
> pirated copies. I have seen a two-disc set where the pirate provided
> the service packs on a second cd. I didn't want to ask.

Likely a wise course of action. =)

--
<- Shenan ->

It appears the O.P. got confused and actually does have Office XP not
Windows XP.