Folder View Settings Not Retained

Using Win 2K SP4, I find that the view settings of some folders are not
retained. The "Remember each folder's view settings" box in Folder
Options > View is checked. When I click on the Modified header in Windows
Explorer to arrange the files by modified date, move to another folder,
and then return, the files are once again arranged by name. This happens
for some folders consistently. Others work as expected.

Does anyone have an idea on how I can fix this? Since Windows Explorer
and Internet Explorer are two sides of the same coin, it may be relevant
that my IE version is IE6 SP1 with Q833989, Q903235, and Q823353
installed.

--
Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio

This is silly, but it usually works. (You may have to repeat it a few
times.)

In Windows Explorer (not on your desktop), click on My Computer (your drives
will cascade below it).
Set My Computer to whatever view you want; I prefer Details.
Then tell Tools > Folder Options > View to set all folders to Look Like
Current Folder.

Sometimes you can set Windows Explorer to C: rather than My Computer, and
it'll still work.

The problem seems to occur when Windows gets confused as to how generic your
Look Like Current Folder request is. My Computer is as generic as it gets.

==> Superstitions are made of this sort of nonsense, yes? <==
--
Walterius

Thanks for trying, but I tinkered with those settings in various
combinations and nothing helped. I suspect the symptoms are caused by
corruption of some registry key, but I have no idea which one controls
stuff like this.