c0000218 Registry failure error

After installing the latest security patches on a W2K Server SP4 the Server
crashed during shutdown with the error above. I've seen the NT4 reference in
the Knowledge base but nothing related to W2K.

Problem is that the machine is a File Server in a remote office which also
doubles as a Domain Controller. So a re-install and restore is not really an
option.

So any suggestions would be welcome.
3 answers Last reply
More about c0000218 registry failure error

    You didn't mention the hive. Assuming the system hive and you already tried
    LKG, It may be possible to rename the system hive found in
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    to system.old
    then rename
    %windir%\system32\config\system.alt
    %windir%\system32\config\system

    You can also try using the most recent backup found in
    %windir%\repair\regback

    If that fails you haven't much choice but to copy/ use the
    original-as-installed system hive from
    %windir%\repair\system
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    You'll need to reinstall the device drivers for any hardware added since the
    original OS install.

    If the software hive, it may be possible to rename the software hive found
    in;
    %windir%\system32\config\software
    to software.old
    then copy the most recent backup found in
    %windir%\repair\regback
    as
    %windir%\system32\config\software

    If that fails you can copy/ use the file
    %windir%\repair\software
    This file is an image of the hive at the time the OS was installed, so you'd
    have to reinstall all software. This being the case you might just as well
    blow it away and start a new install. (note: this would at least allow you
    to start the OS to make any necessary backups prior to wiping the drive.)

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks. At
    the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows 2000
    installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
    Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
    the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Peter" wrote:
    | After installing the latest security patches on a W2K Server SP4 the
    Server
    | crashed during shutdown with the error above. I've seen the NT4 reference
    in
    | the Knowledge base but nothing related to W2K.
    |
    | Problem is that the machine is a File Server in a remote office which also
    | doubles as a Domain Controller. So a re-install and restore is not really
    an
    | option.
    |
    | So any suggestions would be welcome.

    Dave,

    Thanks a lot.

    It was the Software HIve that was causing the problem.

    Following your instructions we were able to reboot. Examination of the Event
    Logs showed that on friday night the systems disk developed a couple of bad
    blocks. As far as I can tell at present I am left with no AV software (on the
    server) and more importantly the inability to run Windows Installer.

    The whole thing is going to have to be rebuilt but with luck we can demote
    the DC before rebuilding. This we can now do as the server is contactable and
    so no messing about trying to do it manually.

    Thanks again

    Glad to hear it helps. You're welcome.

    --

    "Peter" wrote:
    | Dave,
    |
    | Thanks a lot.
    |
    | It was the Software HIve that was causing the problem.
    |
    | Following your instructions we were able to reboot. Examination of the
    Event
    | Logs showed that on friday night the systems disk developed a couple of
    bad
    | blocks. As far as I can tell at present I am left with no AV software (on
    the
    | server) and more importantly the inability to run Windows Installer.
    |
    | The whole thing is going to have to be rebuilt but with luck we can demote
    | the DC before rebuilding. This we can now do as the server is contactable
    and
    | so no messing about trying to do it manually.
    |
    | Thanks again

Windows