Need a Mobo Suggestion

SurfnSoCal

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Hello!

I'm finally upgrading (3 years later) from a AMD 2800+ on a Abit NF7S mobo. I'd some some OC ability (to about 3.0-3.2ghz easily) and a good onboard sound card, decent USB and Fireware ports, good LAN, etc. I don't need SLI as I rarely game...although I plan to get in to video editing and I multi-task alot (Adobe, Macromedia, etc.) . I'd like something decently fast.

I've decided on almost all the parts, except for a mobo. What would pair up nicely with this system?-

Motherboard ?
Intel e6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz
Thermalright Ultra-120
CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX (PSU)
OCZ Platinum Revision2 2GB or CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 (?)
HDD WD Raptor 150gb (?)
Video Card Ati Radeon x1950xt (I plan to get a DX10 card in 6 months or more)

lsorense

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Well I picked an Asus P5B for the Core 2 Duo system I built for my sister a couple of weeks ago. If she had wanted firewire I would have got the P5B-E instead, but she doesn't need it. Very nice board, great performance, and from a very reliable company. The P965/ICH8R chipset is very good and you can't really go wrong with that. So I think a P5B-E would be a good choice for what you want. Onboard sound has never been super great, but at least intel has their 24bit HDAudio stuff. Put a nice Core 2 Duo on that (like the E6400/E6600/E6700 depending on what price/performance level you can afford) and you should be set.

If you wanted high end gaming I would recommend one of the nforce 680i based boards (like the "striker extreme" which is what I plan to use for my farthers cad workstation when I build him a new one sometime in a month or so).

ATI is still on my "banned" list of hardware so I wouldn't even consider that video card. They burned me with crappy drivers and even worse support in general once too many.