Sign in with
Your question

silly question

Last response: in Components
January 9, 2007 9:52:39 PM

is is possible to have to much wattage ( or current) for a system?

just i ordered a new psu and would rather test it on my older system than risk my new one first. But it's over 3 or 4 times wattage that system needs, is there a chance it could damage system or doesn't that happen?

More about : silly question

January 9, 2007 9:56:12 PM

Won't hurt a thing. A system will only pull as much as it needs, nothing more and the PSU won't push anything more than what it is asked to provide 8)
January 9, 2007 10:06:13 PM

I like these questions, my mom asked me the same thing (albeit a bit more frantically :)  )

Yes it's true a PSU will only pull as much power as it needs. You could slap an enermax Galaxy 1kw in that rig and it wouldn't hurt a thing (on the contrary it would probably be happier, but your wallet wouldn't be 8) )
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2007 11:14:11 PM

Quote:
is is possible to have to much wattage ( or current) for a system?

just i ordered a new psu and would rather test it on my older system than risk my new one first. But it's over 3 or 4 times wattage that system needs, is there a chance it could damage system or doesn't that happen?

There's only two things bad about an "overpowered" PSU:

1. Wasted money - Probably could have bought a smaller wattage PSU for less money.

2. Wasted money - The efficiency of a PSU depends on the load placed on the PSU. In general a good PSU operates at their upper efficiency when the load placed on the is approximately 65% - 90% of the PSU's maximum constant power. Outside of that general range PSU converts AC power to DC power less efficiently. The wasted electricity is converted to heat.
January 10, 2007 1:05:00 AM

Quote:
2. Wasted money - The efficiency of a PSU depends on the load placed on the PSU. In general a good PSU operates at their upper efficiency when the load placed on the is approximately 65% - 90% of the PSU's maximum constant power. Outside of that general range PSU converts AC power to DC power less efficiently. The wasted electricity is converted to heat.

I learned something today :) 
!