More about ping server

    From: "fgpacheco_philippines" <fgpachecophilippines@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | hi everyone!
    |
    | i just have a little question here. i am running a windows server 2000 with
    | some workstations connected to it. all of the workstations are running
    | windows xp pro sp2. when i ping the server from a workstation, e,g "ping
    | myserver", it gives me a request timed out. but when i ping it with its ip,
    | e.g "ping 192.xxx.xx.x", it replies back fine. this is just a little bit
    | confusing for me. any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance :)

    The PC Name is a NetBIOS construct. The IP address is a TCP/IP construct. The PING command
    is a TCP/IP utility.
    Unless there is a way to resolve a NetBIOS name to an IP address then a PING will time-out.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    thanks a lot dude!

    and about this one. when i login to our domain from a workstation, it will
    popup an error stating that i cant connect to the domain because of wrong
    password or username or domain name something like that. i accidentally found
    out that if i unplug the network cable, it will login to the network domain.
    i tried loging-in to other workstation and it logs-in fine. what is causing
    this problem? thanks again.

    From: "fgpacheco_philippines" <fgpachecophilippines@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | thanks a lot dude!
    |
    | and about this one. when i login to our domain from a workstation, it will
    | popup an error stating that i cant connect to the domain because of wrong
    | password or username or domain name something like that. i accidentally found
    | out that if i unplug the network cable, it will login to the network domain.
    | i tried loging-in to other workstation and it logs-in fine. what is causing
    | this problem? thanks again.

    The workstation is not Registered in the Domain properly. When you disconnect the network
    cable it does not try to authenticate via a Domain controller, it will use cached
    credentials.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm