How different is NWN from 3.5 ed.?

I recently read the PHB for the 3.5 rules, and I'm wondering if there is
anything major that *doesn't* apply to NWN's 3ed. rules? I know 3.5 only
introduced minor things, but I don't want to make any wrong decisions
for my character because of something I thought was implemented that isn't.

(Not to mention I need to try to put Baldur's Gate's rules out of my
mind, as well.)

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:33:25 -0400, John Salerno <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I recently read the PHB for the 3.5 rules, and I'm wondering if there is
>anything major that *doesn't* apply to NWN's 3ed. rules? I know 3.5 only
>introduced minor things, but I don't want to make any wrong decisions
>for my character because of something I thought was implemented that isn't.
>
>(Not to mention I need to try to put Baldur's Gate's rules out of my
>mind, as well.)

it's different by a fair bit.
you're not really playing 3.5 in NWN...
you're playing NWN D&D 3.who_knows.

its similarities outweight its differences, but alot of D&D knowledge doesn't
necessarily translate over.

eudas
Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.

The main thing you have to remember here.....when you're playing
NWN....you're not playing D&D 3.anything.
You're playing NWN which is *based* (sometimes loosely) on 3.0 edition D&D
rules.
it is about as close to 3.0 as you're going to get in a computer game for
the time being which is failry amazing to be honest, but there are some
differences in 3.5 which are some tweaks from 3.0.
usually it's some balancing issues that Wizards of the Coast did to spells
and a few main rules they put into 3.5, for example....bards no longer have
an arcane spell failure chance when they're casting spells in medium or
light armor.
some spells have been shifted around a bit or had their effects changed a
little to make them a little less *uber* than they were for a balance. I.E.
some spells that had a 1d8/lvl damage effect was dropped to 1d6 or something
like that.
There are quite a few little changes like that, but the core ruleset itself
is basically the same.
There is a writeup of all the things that have changed from 3.0 to 3.5 on
Wizards of the coast's website if you do some checking around for it.

Khazad Dhum wrote:

> There is a writeup of all the things that have changed from 3.0 to 3.5 on
> Wizards of the coast's website if you do some checking around for it.

Yeah, I've looked for that but I can't seem to find it.

> Khazad Dhum wrote:
>
> > There is a writeup of all the things that have changed from 3.0 to 3.5
on
> > Wizards of the coast's website if you do some checking around for it.
>
> Yeah, I've looked for that but I can't seem to find it.

Here's a link

http://www.users.bigpond.com/steven_cooper/dnd/dnd-revised.htm

A shorter list..

http://www.robertjdefendi.com/d&d_3_5.htm

From WoTC site

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a

Hope that helps

Insane Ranter wrote:

> Hope that helps

Thank you, that helps a lot!

Insane Ranter wrote:

> From WoTC site
>
> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a

One question. I've actually found this before, but on one of the files,
it says something like "The purpose of this booklet is not to provide a
comprehensive list of everything that has changed..." So is there any
file on this page that does list everything? Maybe the main file at the
top of the list?

> Insane Ranter wrote:
>
> > From WoTC site
> >
> > http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a
>
> One question. I've actually found this before, but on one of the files,
> it says something like "The purpose of this booklet is not to provide a
> comprehensive list of everything that has changed..." So is there any
> file on this page that does list everything? Maybe the main file at the
> top of the list?

Honestly I'm not sure. I just did a quick google search and those are what I
came up with as well as looking on the WOTC web page awhile back.

Insane Ranter wrote:

> Honestly I'm not sure. I just did a quick google search and those are what I
> came up with as well as looking on the WOTC web page awhile back.

well, thanks anyway, because that's mostly what i need anyway....

p.s. just got NWN in the mail today! i'll be starting soon....

On Mon, 03 May 2004 13:42:36 -0400, John Salerno <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Insane Ranter wrote:
>
>> From WoTC site
>>
>> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a
>
>One question. I've actually found this before, but on one of the files,
>it says something like "The purpose of this booklet is not to provide a
>comprehensive list of everything that has changed..." So is there any
>file on this page that does list everything? Maybe the main file at the
>top of the list?

1) it'd be really difficult to compile a comprehensive list of *all* of the
differences between 3.0 and 3.5;
2) they'd rather you just buy the 3.5 books and look it up yourself for specific
concerns on differences;
3) the PDF hits most of the big changes;
4) it wouldn't be relevant to NWN anyway, as NWN doesn't strictly follow D&D
rules (which is too bad IMO but *shrug*)

> Insane Ranter wrote:
>
> > Honestly I'm not sure. I just did a quick google search and those are
what I
> > came up with as well as looking on the WOTC web page awhile back.
>
> well, thanks anyway, because that's mostly what i need anyway....
>
> p.s. just got NWN in the mail today! i'll be starting soon....

Good luck!