Wireless, video, music, pics....

PICLARK

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Hi Guys (and Gals), am a bit of a wireless newbie so please be gentle...

OK, here's my question...I have a nice new HD Flat Panel TV (with HDMI) and a wireless modem/router (D-LINK G604). I also have lots of media in mp3, video (mpeg/divx,xvid etc) and loads of images stored on my PC. I'd like to be able to access them on my TV via my wireless network but I don't want to have to switch my PC on each time I want to access the media...

So, I was considering a NAS Drive/Ethernet hard drive hard wired to my modem/router (D-LINK G604), this would hold all of my media. At present I have no specific ideas regarding a NAS, can you suggest a good one?

I was also considering a D-LINK DSM-520 Wireless HD Media Player (http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=438) to pull the media from the aforementioned NAS, this DSM-520 would then connect directly to my TV/Stereo.

Would this kit be ok, would the NAS drive 'wake up' when I attempt to play some music or a video on my TV. Does anybody have any better suggestions etc?

Thanks all...

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
It should work okay. I assume you're planning to leave the NAS on all the time? Just keep in mind that wireless is never going to be as reliable as wired ethernet.