casey

I haven't used WinMX for a couple of months and just noticed that the icon
is missing from my desktop. I looked in add/remove and clicked on remove as
the folder in Windows Explorer was still there but the folder was empty.
add/remove won't let me remove it but I have deleted it from Windows
Explorer in add/remove it just has WinMX and nothing at the right side like
the MB and date. Could someone please tell me how to remove it from
add/remove. I have XP home and installed service pack2 recently, could that
be the reason the program has gone?. I also have PC Bug doctor and when I
run that I delete whatever it finds, but it doesn't show what the files are
just that they are shortcuts, so I think it's safe, maybe not. Also, I had
Bigpond Assist and that went too, not sure when but I think today. I have
reinstalled that.
Your advice would be appreciated,
Casey..

To remove an invalid entry from Add/Remove Programs, see:
and scroll down to Add and Remove -Removing Invalid Entries in the
Add/Remove Programs Tool

Be aware that these are registry edits. Editing the registry has some risk
of messing up your system if you do not take reasonable precautions. For
tips on registry editing, use the same link as above and click on the R at
the top, then scroll down to "Registry...."
"Casey" <casey@hunterlink.com> wrote in message
>I haven't used WinMX for a couple of months and just noticed that the icon
>is missing from my desktop. I looked in add/remove and clicked on remove as
>the folder in Windows Explorer was still there but the folder was empty.
>add/remove won't let me remove it but I have deleted it from Windows
>Explorer in add/remove it just has WinMX and nothing at the right side
>like the MB and date. Could someone please tell me how to remove it from
>add/remove. I have XP home and installed service pack2 recently, could that
>be the reason the program has gone?. I also have PC Bug doctor and when I
>run that I delete whatever it finds, but it doesn't show what the files are
>just that they are shortcuts, so I think it's safe, maybe not. Also, I had
>Bigpond Assist and that went too, not sure when but I think today. I have
>reinstalled that.
> Your advice would be appreciated,
> Casey..

casey

Thank you very much for responding Colin, I was very nervous as never done
anything like that but I found it and deleted it and it has gone from
add/remove.
Would you mind telling me what you think of PC Bug Doctor and also another
program that I recently installed called Windows Registry Repair se, these
are just trials but they do let me delete if I want to, I'm just never sure
if it's safe,
thank you very much for helping me
Casey.
> To remove an invalid entry from Add/Remove Programs, see:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
> and scroll down to Add and Remove -Removing Invalid Entries in the
> Add/Remove Programs Tool
>
> Be aware that these are registry edits. Editing the registry has some
> risk of messing up your system if you do not take reasonable precautions.
> For tips on registry editing, use the same link as above and click on the
> R at the top, then scroll down to "Registry...."
> "Casey" <casey@hunterlink.com> wrote in message
>>I haven't used WinMX for a couple of months and just noticed that the icon
>>is missing from my desktop. I looked in add/remove and clicked on remove
>>as the folder in Windows Explorer was still there but the folder was
>>empty. add/remove won't let me remove it but I have deleted it from
>>Windows Explorer in add/remove it just has WinMX and nothing at the right
>>side like the MB and date. Could someone please tell me how to remove it
>>from add/remove. I have XP home and installed service pack2 recently,
>>could that be the reason the program has gone?. I also have PC Bug doctor
>>and when I run that I delete whatever it finds, but it doesn't show what
>>the files are just that they are shortcuts, so I think it's safe, maybe
>>not. Also, I had Bigpond Assist and that went too, not sure when but I
>>think today. I have reinstalled that.
>> Your advice would be appreciated,
>> Casey..

Many experienced users are wary of registry cleaners. My experience is that
the cleaners simply clear out entries referring to installs, temp files, and
other one-time operations etc., which have no impact on the system anyway.
You might clean a couple of hundred such entries but the registry has tens
of thousands of lines. None of the registry cleaners I have seen can fix a
bad registry entry. They just clean obsolete ones.

I don't know anything about PC Bug Doctor. Any claim like "PC Bug Doctor
will repair every error on your computer anytime you need it" (from their
website) is not credible to me.

If you are going to use a registry cleaner (and I don't see that you need
to) use a widely recommended one like Registry Mechanic, Registry First Aid,
or simply use the One Button function in Norton Systemworks 2005. It does
registry and shortcut cleanup pretty well as well as other checks. Others
will chime in with their favorites. The real question is not which one to
use, but whether to bother at all.

These programs are never completely safe.

> Thank you very much for responding Colin, I was very nervous as never done
> anything like that but I found it and deleted it and it has gone from
> add/remove.
> Would you mind telling me what you think of PC Bug Doctor and also another
> program that I recently installed called Windows Registry Repair se, these
> are just trials but they do let me delete if I want to, I'm just never
> sure if it's safe,
> thank you very much for helping me
> Casey.
>> To remove an invalid entry from Add/Remove Programs, see:
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
>> and scroll down to Add and Remove -Removing Invalid Entries in the
>> Add/Remove Programs Tool
>>
>> Be aware that these are registry edits. Editing the registry has some
>> risk of messing up your system if you do not take reasonable precautions.
>> For tips on registry editing, use the same link as above and click on the
>> R at the top, then scroll down to "Registry...."
>> --
>> "Casey" <casey@hunterlink.com> wrote in message
>>>I haven't used WinMX for a couple of months and just noticed that the
>>>icon is missing from my desktop. I looked in add/remove and clicked on
>>>remove as the folder in Windows Explorer was still there but the folder
>>>was empty. add/remove won't let me remove it but I have deleted it from
>>>Windows Explorer in add/remove it just has WinMX and nothing at the
>>>right side like the MB and date. Could someone please tell me how to
>>>remove it from add/remove. I have XP home and installed service pack2
>>>recently, could that be the reason the program has gone?. I also have PC
>>>Bug doctor and when I run that I delete whatever it finds, but it doesn't
>>>show what the files are just that they are shortcuts, so I think it's
>>>safe, maybe not. Also, I had Bigpond Assist and that went too, not sure
>>>when but I think today. I have reinstalled that.
>>> Your advice would be appreciated,
>>> Casey..

Wolfie

ok i know from my bug doctor that it will delete winmx as spyware so either
stop useing bug doctor of put min mx set up in a file and keep reinstalling
it

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Many experienced users are wary of registry cleaners. My experience is that
> the cleaners simply clear out entries referring to installs, temp files, and
> other one-time operations etc., which have no impact on the system anyway.
> You might clean a couple of hundred such entries but the registry has tens
> of thousands of lines. None of the registry cleaners I have seen can fix a
> bad registry entry. They just clean obsolete ones.
>
> I don't know anything about PC Bug Doctor. Any claim like "PC Bug Doctor
> will repair every error on your computer anytime you need it" (from their
> website) is not credible to me.
>
> If you are going to use a registry cleaner (and I don't see that you need
> to) use a widely recommended one like Registry Mechanic, Registry First Aid,
> or simply use the One Button function in Norton Systemworks 2005. It does
> registry and shortcut cleanup pretty well as well as other checks. Others
> will chime in with their favorites. The real question is not which one to
> use, but whether to bother at all.
>
> These programs are never completely safe.

> "Casey" <casey@hunterlink.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you very much for responding Colin, I was very nervous as never done
> > anything like that but I found it and deleted it and it has gone from
> > add/remove.
> > Would you mind telling me what you think of PC Bug Doctor and also another
> > program that I recently installed called Windows Registry Repair se, these
> > are just trials but they do let me delete if I want to, I'm just never
> > sure if it's safe,
> > thank you very much for helping me
> > Casey.
> > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
> >> To remove an invalid entry from Add/Remove Programs, see:
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
> >> and scroll down to Add and Remove -Removing Invalid Entries in the
> >> Add/Remove Programs Tool
> >>
> >> Be aware that these are registry edits. Editing the registry has some
> >> risk of messing up your system if you do not take reasonable precautions.
> >> For tips on registry editing, use the same link as above and click on the
> >> R at the top, then scroll down to "Registry...."
> >> --
> >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> >> "Casey" <casey@hunterlink.com> wrote in message

Considering the potential for getting viruses and spyware when using P2P
downloading, I'm not so sure Bug Doctor isn't right about WinMX being
spyware. :)

"wolfie" <wolfie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ok i know from my bug doctor that it will delete winmx as spyware so
> either
> stop useing bug doctor of put min mx set up in a file and keep
> reinstalling
> it
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Many experienced users are wary of registry cleaners. My experience is
>> that
>> the cleaners simply clear out entries referring to installs, temp files,
>> and
>> other one-time operations etc., which have no impact on the system
>> anyway.
>> You might clean a couple of hundred such entries but the registry has
>> tens
>> of thousands of lines. None of the registry cleaners I have seen can fix
>> bad registry entry. They just clean obsolete ones.
>>
>> I don't know anything about PC Bug Doctor. Any claim like "PC Bug Doctor
>> will repair every error on your computer anytime you need it" (from their
>> website) is not credible to me.
>>
>> If you are going to use a registry cleaner (and I don't see that you need
>> to) use a widely recommended one like Registry Mechanic, Registry First
>> Aid,
>> or simply use the One Button function in Norton Systemworks 2005. It
>> does
>> registry and shortcut cleanup pretty well as well as other checks.
>> Others
>> will chime in with their favorites. The real question is not which one
>> use, but whether to bother at all.
>>
>> These programs are never completely safe.
>>
>> --
>> "Casey" <casey@hunterlink.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you very much for responding Colin, I was very nervous as never
>> > done
>> > anything like that but I found it and deleted it and it has gone from
>> > add/remove.
>> > Would you mind telling me what you think of PC Bug Doctor and also
>> > another
>> > program that I recently installed called Windows Registry Repair se,
>> > these
>> > are just trials but they do let me delete if I want to, I'm just never
>> > sure if it's safe,
>> > thank you very much for helping me
>> > Casey.
>> > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

casey

Thank you Colin & Wolfie,
for your advice, I don't think I will reinstall WinMX as what a pain that
would be to have to reinstall it every time Bug Doctor deleted it. I rarely
download music anyway so I won't do it at all. I always seemed to get
problems whenever I did download from WinMX so will leave it alone. I will
also delete the Windows Registry Repair and follow your instructions
regarding that.
I appreciate your help, thanks again,
Casey.