Please help, computer not booting after....

elperra

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Hi everyone. This is my first post here, but I've been reading this forum for a while. Anyways here is my problem. I open computer to clean the dust and change the ide cables for round ide ones, I cleaned it with a dry clean small towel. I cleaned it change the cables but when I boot it, it gave me constant beeps, I put my old ide cables on I thought that that's was the problem but it gave me the same beeps. I checked on my mobo manual and it says that this kind of beeps is when there is not enough power, but my cpu fan and case fan work, also the dvd-rom and dvd-rw I can open no problem. What could be the problem? My computer parts are: GA- K8NSC mobo, AMD 3000+, 250 gb hd, 5200 vc, Windows XP pro, 2-512 sticks of ram.

Thank you.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Uh oh.....

How long was the computer off before you cleaned it?
What kind of towel???? (I've never heard of using a towel to clean a computer)
Did you use a compressed air can too?

As for the towel, I personally wouldn't use anything to clean a computer that actually touches the components because they could introduce static electricity. I suggest a compressed air can. However, I have a friend who once cleaned his computer with an air can and it fried his motherboard. Why you ask? Air cans put out some pretty cold air. The temperature difference of his still hot computer and the cold air broke something. This could be the scenario. (I hope not)

You could also have a problem with your power supply or a ram stick. Try booting the computer with only one ram stick, and see if this helps. If so, the other ram stick is bad. I would also suggest trying another power supply if this is possible.

Before you do any of this, try to reseat the ATX connector. Also make sure the 12v power 4 pin connector is connected, along with the power connector to the video card. (Does a 5200 need one???)

Best of Luck

elperra

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Uh oh.....

How long was the computer off before you cleaned it?
What kind of towel???? (I've never heard of using a towel to clean a computer)
Did you use a compressed air can too?

As for the towel, I personally wouldn't use anything to clean a computer that actually touches the components because they could introduce static electricity. I suggest a compressed air can. However, I have a friend who once cleaned his computer with an air can and it fried his motherboard. Why you ask? Air cans put out some pretty cold air. The temperature difference of his still hot computer and the cold air broke something. This could be the scenario. (I hope not)

You could also have a problem with your power supply or a ram stick. Try booting the computer with only one ram stick, and see if this helps. If so, the other ram stick is bad. I would also suggest trying another power supply if this is possible.

Before you do any of this, try to reseat the ATX connector. Also make sure the 12v power 4 pin connector is connected, along with the power connector to the video card. (Does a 5200 need one???)

Best of Luck

Thanks for your reply. The computer was off all night, and I use the towel to clean the outside of the case and the case fan only, I didn't use a compress air can, I just blew it with my mouth, also I forgot to mention that I changed my old dvd-rw drive for another one. I already try to boot it with one stick of ram but no luck, will reset the atx connector and see what happens.
Thanks.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Any luck?

If not I would try the CMOS reset jumper. This should be on the motherboard somewhere near the BIOS chip. (Usually the lower right of an ATX motherboard) Turn off the computer, then switch the position to the opposite position. Count to five then put the jumper back in the original position. Power on the computer. Does it POST?

If it didn't, I would try disconnecting EVERYTHING but your graphics card (and monitor), processor, and one stick of ram. Disconnect all of the drives and all cards. If this will POST, then you can start putting things back in, one at a time.

If this doesn't work, you have a major problem and some piece of hardware has fried...

Best of Luck

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
run a humdifer so u do not get static

buy a can of air and use a vacuum to clean it - first vacuum the loose stuff then blow out the heat sinks and little areas then vacuum again.

since u disconcected the drive look for drive in the bios,

------------------------
your problems is left something unplugged it sounds like - power to video card maybe. or something is stuck

did u reverse a cable or psu connector?

elperra

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Thanks guys for your help. I solved the problem :D , unplugged everything and plug it back on, and it worked. Thanks.