Sign in with
Your question

Need Info on HD to use with ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
January 10, 2007 12:06:26 AM

Hi all, I wanted to add a 2nd HDD to my pc. According to Asus I can only go up to a 137gb drive with this mobo regardless of the Bios. I would like to add a 160gb SATA 3 drive. Does anyone know if this will work? I know drives are advertised at larger capacities than what they will actually hold. Therefore I am assuming that a 160gb drive will really only be about 140gb. Also I am not sure if this mobo will support the SATA 3 technology. Again I am guessing that it will but possibly at a slower rate.
I had hoped to go with a 250gb drive but ASUS says it cant support that much. I had talked to a tech on the phone, but I am wondering if he got the question wrong & was thinking about Win XP not seeing but 137gb.
BTW I am running XP Pro w/SP2 and all updates., AMD 2600+, 1gb of ram.
Hope this is enough info. I wanted to go ahead and order the drive this week while I have the funds.
Thanks in advance.
a b V Motherboard
January 10, 2007 12:56:27 AM

Quote:
I would like to add a 160gb SATA 3 drive. Does anyone know if this will work?

Set the transfer rate jumper on the HDD to the 150 setting, then later when you upgrade to a newer M/B that can handle 300 set it back to the 300 setting.
January 10, 2007 2:36:42 AM

Quote:
...According to Asus I can only go up to a 137gb drive with this mobo regardless of the Bios...I am assuming that a 160gb drive will really only be about 140gb. Also I am not sure if this mobo will support the SATA 3 technology. Again I am guessing that it will but possibly at a slower rate. I had hoped to go with a 250gb drive but ASUS says it cant support that much. I had talked to a tech on the phone, but I am wondering if he got the question wrong & was thinking about Win XP not seeing but 137gb.
BTW I am running XP Pro w/SP2 and all updates., AMD 2600+, 1gb of ram...

The Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe is not 137Gb limited with SP2. I still support 6 of these units, 2 of which are running Raptors in RAID0, and 2 of which are running 250Gb and 320GB HDD's. SATAII 300 is just a bandwidth standard, and helps to sell hard drives to the uninformed. Since SATA 150 bandwidth remains underutilized, Western Digital uses the SATA 150 standard on the Raptors, so there's no speed limitation. As 4ryan6 said, just move the 300 jumper to 150.

Bottom line, buy whatever you like, and your MB will run it. 8)
Related resources
January 15, 2007 2:50:52 AM

Quote:
...According to Asus I can only go up to a 137gb drive with this mobo regardless of the Bios...I am assuming that a 160gb drive will really only be about 140gb. Also I am not sure if this mobo will support the SATA 3 technology. Again I am guessing that it will but possibly at a slower rate. I had hoped to go with a 250gb drive but ASUS says it cant support that much. I had talked to a tech on the phone, but I am wondering if he got the question wrong & was thinking about Win XP not seeing but 137gb.
BTW I am running XP Pro w/SP2 and all updates., AMD 2600+, 1gb of ram...

The Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe is not 137Gb limited with SP2. I still support 6 of these units, 2 of which are running Raptors in RAID0, and 2 of which are running 250Gb and 320GB HDD's. SATAII 300 is just a bandwidth standard, and helps to sell hard drives to the uninformed. Since SATA 150 bandwidth remains underutilized, Western Digital uses the SATA 150 standard on the Raptors, so there's no speed limitation. As 4ryan6 said, just move the 300 jumper to 150.

Bottom line, buy whatever you like, and your MB will run it. 8)

Thanks for the help. I have run into a problem with this. According to my manual for the ASUS I connect this drive to the SATA/RAID connectors & then have to install a Silicon Image Serial ATA Utility to activate the connectors. Also I have to create a RAID set during POST. My question is do I have to set this drive up as a RAID and will these connectors work as a plain SATA connectors? This drive will be used as an extra storage & I plan to move all my programs and Windows XP to this new drive. My old 80GB EIDE drive will be for file storage (photos, videos, music etc.) Do you see any problems with this setup?
One other question, I hooked up this drive, but the BIOS did see it, so I unplugged it & the then my computer wouldn't boot, couldn't find keyboard. Come to find out something happened to my keyboard & I had to use a old backup one. What could have caused this?
Any help you or anyone else can lend will be greatly appreciated.
January 15, 2007 3:33:23 AM

Quote:
I have run into a problem with this. According to my manual for the ASUS I connect this drive to the SATA/RAID connectors & then have to install a Silicon Image Serial ATA Utility to activate the connectors. Also I have to create a RAID set during POST. My question is do I have to set this drive up as a RAID and will these connectors work as a plain SATA connectors? This drive will be used as an extra storage & I plan to move all my programs and Windows XP to this new drive. My old 80GB EIDE drive will be for file storage (photos, videos, music etc.) Do you see any problems with this setup?

Since you intend to use your SATA drive as a stand-alone unit, there's no need to set up a RAID0 or RAID1 configuration. Make sure the MB jumper is enabled, connect the SATA drive, boot into Windows on your old drive, the new hardware will be found, then load the drivers for the Silicon Image SATA controller. At this point, it's not necessary to reload your OS and software suite onto the new SATA drive. You can simply clone (20 minutes) your old PATA drive onto the new SATA drive by booting Norton Ghost 03 form a DOS floppy or CD. This way, you shouldn't have any problems setting up this new configuration.

Quote:
One other question, I hooked up this drive, but the BIOS did see it, so I unplugged it & the then my computer wouldn't boot, couldn't find keyboard. Come to find out something happened to my keyboard & I had to use a old backup one. What could have caused this?

The Silicon Image controller has it's own separate BIOS, so you won't see your SATA drive in any of the standard BIOS screens, but it should be accessible in Windows. As for your keyboard, perhaps a cooincidental failure. It's electronics, so sh*t happens.

Hope this help. 8)
January 15, 2007 4:12:07 AM

Quote:
I know drives are advertised at larger capacities than what they will actually hold. Therefore I am assuming that a 160gb drive will really only be about 140gb

Here is the short explanation: almost everything except HD's and networking tools counts 1KB as 1024B (2^10), 1MB as 1024KB... while HD's count 1KB as 1000B... so here is the formula:

N GB HD holds Nx10^9 bytes
this is Nx10^9 / (1024^3) = 0.931N GB

so for 160GB HD this is 0.931*160 = 149GB

Jo
January 15, 2007 9:53:46 PM

Thanks for your help. But so far my computer isn't finding the new drive. Here is what i have done so far.
1.) No jumper was installed. I installed the one as per WD website to make the drive run at the slower 150 transfer rate instead of 300.

2.) connected drive to SATA/RAID connector on MOBO & connected Power.

3.) Booted PC. But "No New Hardware" was found.
4.) Installed the Silicon Image Serial Utility from Mobo CD. Nothing happened. Also there is listed on the cd a SATA driver, but when I click it it tells how to install the driver using a controller connected to a PCI slot.
This sounds to me as if it only works with a controller card that I would have to purchase.

5.) Rebooted again still nothing. clicked on configuration for SATALink on my taskbar, not much here. Asks for SMPTE email, etc. Checked under my computer, properties, hardware, device manager. Nothing of SATA drive there either.

6.) changed SATA connector from one to the other, rebooted, nothing.

I checked the mobo manual & i did find where it says that "Hot plug support for SATA drive and connections are not available for this mobo. Also on the install guide sheet for the drive, there are 2 default jumper settings concerning spread spectrum clocking (enabled or disabled) to determine the default setting check label on top of drive. Do Not change the default setting if drive is used in a desktop computer. I have not checked this yet. If I set a jumper to the default, do I still leave the other jumper in place for the transfer rate?

I am beginning to think that either there is something wrong with the drive or my computer just will not recognize this size drive.

Thanks again for all your help.

Quote:
I have run into a problem with this. According to my manual for the ASUS I connect this drive to the SATA/RAID connectors & then have to install a Silicon Image Serial ATA Utility to activate the connectors. Also I have to create a RAID set during POST. My question is do I have to set this drive up as a RAID and will these connectors work as a plain SATA connectors? This drive will be used as an extra storage & I plan to move all my programs and Windows XP to this new drive. My old 80GB EIDE drive will be for file storage (photos, videos, music etc.) Do you see any problems with this setup?

Since you intend to use your SATA drive as a stand-alone unit, there's no need to set up a RAID0 or RAID1 configuration. Make sure the MB jumper is enabled, connect the SATA drive, boot into Windows on your old drive, the new hardware will be found, then load the drivers for the Silicon Image SATA controller. At this point, it's not necessary to reload your OS and software suite onto the new SATA drive. You can simply clone (20 minutes) your old PATA drive onto the new SATA drive by booting Norton Ghost 03 form a DOS floppy or CD. This way, you shouldn't have any problems setting up this new configuration.

Quote:

The Silicon Image controller has it's own separate BIOS, so you won't see your SATA drive in any of the standard BIOS screens, but it should be accessible in Windows. As for your keyboard, perhaps a cooincidental failure. It's electronics, so sh*t happens.

Hope this help. 8)
January 15, 2007 10:32:23 PM

Quote:
...so far my computer isn't finding the new drive. Here is what i have done...

1.) No jumper was installed. I installed the one as per WD website to make the drive run at the slower 150 transfer rate instead of 300...

...Also on the install guide sheet for the drive, there are 2 default jumper settings concerning spread spectrum clocking (enabled or disabled) to determine the default setting check label on top of drive. Do Not change the default setting if drive is used in a desktop computer. I have not checked this yet. If I set a jumper to the default, do I still leave the other jumper in place for the transfer rate?

The transfer rate jumper must remain set at 150.

Quote:
I am beginning to think that either there is something wrong with the drive or my computer just will not recognize this size drive.

Check your MB book, section 2.6 jumpers, page 2-17, Item #6, Serial ATA setting (3-pin SATA_EN1) "This jumper enables or disables the Serial ATA controller". As per my previous post, "Make sure the MB jumper is enabled." 8)
January 16, 2007 12:49:19 AM

Check your MB book, section 2.6 jumpers, page 2-17, Item #6, Serial ATA setting (3-pin SATA_EN1) "This jumper enables or disables the Serial ATA controller". As per my previous post, "Make sure the MB jumper is enabled." 8)[/quote]

I checked this jumper & it is enabled (default).
January 16, 2007 1:08:56 AM

Quote:

OK, then it seems you've followed through the correct steps. Have you been able to access the Silicon Image BIOS screen?
January 16, 2007 2:17:51 AM

Quote:

OK, then it seems you've followed through the correct steps. Have you been able to access the Silicon Image BIOS screen?

I have a icon on my taskbar called SATALink that installed after I ran the install from the cd. All it seems to be is a logging file. It has a configuration, but you just put in info about SMTP server, email address, notification, event level, popup, audio, log file. Also shows info about my computer & what version of XP I am running. Under all programs it is listed as SATARAid & when I clicked it, it says 'already running". Maybe I am missing the main program. Only thing else I saw on the cd was the Silicon Image SATA Driver but that is just an data file that tells me how to install the driver using a PCI controller card pluged into a PCI slot.

Here is the text: Let me know what you think.
I may try to uninstall the utility & reinstall it. Maybe something didn't work right.
Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller OS Driver Installation
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Table of Contents
-----------------

1) Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000/XP Fresh Installation.

2) Adding the SiI RAID controller to an existing Windows NT installation.

3) Adding the SiI RAID controller to an existing Windows 2000/XP installation.

4) Verifying controller installation under Windows NT, 2000 and XP.

5) Update SiI RAID driver on Windows NT 4.0 with existing Silicon Image driver.

6) Update SiI RAID driver on Windows 2000/XP with existing Silicon Image driver.

7) Windows 98SE and Windows ME Fresh Installation Instructions.

8) First time installing SiI RAID driver with existing Windows 98SE/ME.

9) Update SiI RAID driver on Windows 98SE/ME with existing Silicon Image driver.

--------------------------------------------------------
1) Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000/XP Fresh Installation
--------------------------------------------------------
Follow the instructions in this section if you are performing a new
installation of Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000/XP, and you wish to
boot from a device attached to the SiI 3112 controller.

1. Power off the system. Connect the hard drives to the SiI 3112
controller and insert the controller into a PCI slot. Power up
the system.

2. Put your Windows NT/2000/XP CD into the CD-ROM/DVD drive, or
the NT/2000/XP boot diskette #1 in the floppy drive if your
system cannot boot from the CD.

3. Press F6 for third party SCSI or driver installation at the beginning
of text mode installation. Press 's' when setup asks if you want to
specify an additional device, and insert the diskette labeled
'Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Driver Installation Disk' .

Press 'Enter' and select
'Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller'

4. Press 'Enter' to continue on with text mode setup.

5. Follow the setup instructions to select your choice for
partition and file system.

6. After setup examines your disks, it will copy files to
Windows 2000 installation folders and restart the system.
The setup program will continue and finish the installation
after restart.

7. Wait until Windows 2000 finishes installing devices, regional
settings, networking settings, components, and final set of
tasks, reboot the system if it is required.

8. See instructions in section 4 to verify controller was installed
correctly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) Adding the SiI RAID controller to an existing Windows NT 4.0 installation
Follow the instructions in this section to install the Silicon Image
SiI 3112 driver on a system already running Windows NT 4.0.

the system.

2. After OS boots up, Click 'Start'

3. Under 'Settings', click 'Control Panel'.

4. Select 'SCSI Adapters' from the Control Panel.

5. Select the 'Drivers' tab and click 'Add'.

6. Click 'Have Disk'.

7. Insert the diskette labeled ' Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid
Driver Installation Disk' into A: and press 'Enter'.

8. Choose 'Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller' and
click 'OK'.

9. See instructions in section 4 to verify controller was installed
correctly.

3)Adding the SiI RAID controller to an existing Windows 2000/XP installation
Follow the instructions in this section to install the Silicon Image
SiI 3112 driver on a system already running Windows 2000.

the system.

2. During OS boot up, Windows 2000 will display the
'Found New Hardware Wizard'. Click 'Next'.

3. Select 'Search for a suitable driver for my device
(Recommended)' and Click 'Next'.

4. Under 'Optional search locations' insure that 'Floppy disk drives'
is checked.

5. Insert the diskette labeled ' Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Driver
Installation Disk' into A: and click 'Next'.

6. When the wizard indicates that it found a driver for the device click
'Next'.

7. If the 'Digital Signature Not Found' dialog appears, click 'Yes' to
continue installing the driver.

8. The wizard will now copy the required files to the system and start the
driver. After starting the driver the wizard will display a completion
dialog, click 'Finish' to exit the wizard.

9. See instructions in section 4 to verify controller was installed
correctly.

------------------------------------------------------------------
4) Verifying controller installation under Windows NT, 2000 and XP
------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow the instructions in this section to verify that the controller was
installed correctly.

For Windows 2000/XP

1. Right click on 'My Computer' icon, select 'Properties',
left click on 'Hardware' tab, and then on 'Device Manager'
button.

2. Double click on 'SCSI and RAID Controllers', If there is no
yellow '! ' or ' ? ' in front of
'Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller', the driver
is started correctly.

3. To view information about the devices attached to the controller, use the SiICfg
Utility and click on the device from the list.

For Windows NT 4.0

1. Double click on 'My Computer' icon, select 'Control Panel', click
on 'SCSI Adapters' icon, 'Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid
Controller' should displayed correctly under 'Device' and 'Driver' tab.

2. To view information about the devices attached to the controller, use the SiICfg
Utility and click on the device from the list.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5) Update SiI RAID driver on Windows NT 4.0 with existing Silicon Image driver

1. After OS boots up, Click 'Start'

2. Under 'Settings', click 'Control Panel'.

3. Select 'SCSI Adapters' from the Control Panel.

4. Select the 'Drivers' tab and click 'Add'.

5. Click 'Have Disk'.

6. Insert the diskette labeled 'Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Driver
Installation Disk' into A: and press 'Enter'.

7. Choose 'Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller' and
click 'OK'.

8. Refer to instructions in section 4 to verify controller was installed
correctly.

6) Update SiI RAID driver on Windows 2000/XP with existing Silicon Image driver

With the Silicon Image controller already plugged in and the driver already
installed. Follow the instructions to update SiI RAID driver.

1. Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'. Under the 'System Properties'
section, click on 'Hardware' tab, and then on 'Device Manager'
click 'SCSI and RAID Controller' and right click 'Silicon Image Ultra-133 Medley
ATA Raid Controller'.

2. Click 'Driver' ,'Update Driver' and select 'Search for a suitable driver for my
device[Recommended]'. Insert the driver diskette into floppy drive.
Click 'Next' and complete the driver installation.

3. System will go through the enumeration process and install the driver.
At the end of the process, click 'Yes' to reboot your system when necessary.

4. See instructions in section 4 to verify controller was installed
correctly.

--------------------------------------------------------------
7) Windows 98SE and Windows ME Fresh Installation Instructions
--------------------------------------------------------------
Follow the instructions in this section if you are performing a new
installation of Windows 98SE/ME and you wish to boot from a device attached
to the SiI 3112 controller.

You may start up the Windows 98SE/ME installation from CD. If either your
Windows 98SE/ME CD or CD-ROM drive is not bootable, your can start up with
floppy diskettes.

1. Power off the system. Connect the hard drives to the SiI RAID
the system.

2. Put your Windows 98SE/ME CD into the CD-ROM/DVD drive, and
the Windows 98SE/ME boot diskette in the floppy drive if your
system cannot boot from the CD.

3. Follow the normal Windows 98SE/ME setup instructions to select your choice for
partition and file system.

4. Wait until Windows 98SE/ME finishes installing devices, regional
settings, networking settings, components, and final set of
tasks, reboot the system.

5. After the system reboot, right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'.
From the 'System Properties' , select 'Device Manager', right click on
the '?PCI RAID controller' and select 'Properties' from the pop-up menu.

6. Click 'Driver' ,'Update Driver' and select 'Automatic search for a better
driver[Recommended]'. Insert the driver diskette into floppy drive.

7. System will go through the enumeration process and install the driver.
At the end of the process, click 'Yes' to reboot your system.

8. See instructions in section A to verify controller was installed
correctly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
8) First time installing SiI RAID driver with existing Windows 98SE/ME
----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have an existing Windows 98SE/ME system and just obtained a
Silicon Image SiI 3112 controller card, you need to run the update program
to install Silicon Image driver. The driver package is located in the
Silicon Image driver diskette or the diskette provided by OEM vendor.

the system.

2. During the system boot up, the Hardware Wizard will display that it found a
' PCI RAID Controller' , click ' Next' . Select ' Search for the best
driver for your device[Recommended]' and click ' Next' .

3. Check the ' Floppy disk drives' and insert the driver diskette into floppy
drive. Click ' Next' .

4. System will go through the enumeration process and install the driver.
At the end of the process, Click ' Finish' to complete the installation.
Reboot the system if your Windows 98SE/ME drive is connected on the
SiI RAID Controller.

5. See instructions in section A to verify controller was installed
correctly.

9) Update SiI RAID driver on Windows 98SE/ME with existing Silicon Image driver

With the Silicon Image controller already plugged in and the driver already
installed. Follow the instructions to update SiI 3112 driver.

1. Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'. Under 'System Properties',
click 'SCSI and RAID Controller' and right click 'Silicon Image Ultra-133 Medley
ATA Raid Controller'.

2. Click 'Driver' ,'Update Driver' and select 'Automatic search for a better
driver[Recommended]'. Insert the driver diskette into floppy drive.

At the end of the process, click 'Yes' to reboot your system.

4. See instructions in section A to verify controller was installed
correctly.
February 13, 2007 9:53:52 PM

Hi goodolerebel,

I've had a similar situation to yours. I have a A7N8X-E Deluxe that I was tryingto add a Segate 320gb SATA II drive too. It turned out that XP requires Raid drivers and that these are not available with a default XP SP2 install. The drivers are on the ASUS utility disk that comes with the mobo, or can be downloaded from ASUS.

You can easily check whether the drivers are installed by right clicking on My Computer and choose Manage, and select Device Manager. If your install was like mine you will have yellow question marks against the Raid driver indicating that the Raid device is not working. Follow the instructions below to update the driver.

6) Update SiI RAID driver on Windows 2000/XP with existing Silicon Image driver

With the Silicon Image controller already plugged in and the driver already installed. Follow the instructions to update SiI RAID driver.

1. Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'. Under the 'System Properties' section, click on 'Hardware' tab, and then on 'Device Manager'
click 'SCSI and RAID Controller' and right click 'Silicon Image Ultra-133 Medley ATA Raid Controller'.

2. Click 'Driver' ,'Update Driver' and select 'Search for a suitable driver for my device[Recommended]'. Insert the driver diskette into floppy drive (edit: or ASUS CD). Click 'Next' and complete the driver installation.

At the end of the process, click 'Yes' to reboot your system when necessary.

4. See instructions in section 4 to verify controller was installed
correctly.

Hope this helps.

Stu
!