boot up question

I am running windows XP Home edition.....

I have three hard drives... C: E: and F:

I want to run two different installed winxp programs..

I want to use one boot up system for my normal computer work..

I want to use another one for my games only...

I would like to be able to boot up my computer to run either of the
two OS programs.

I need to know, if it would be better to run these two system boot ups
from different hard drives..

Or to partition one big drive and to have two different operation
systems on the same hard drive?

I need to know how to do either.. I know about the disk management
program in windowsxp.. but I am not that familiar with working with
it.

At this time, my C: drive is listed as system the other two (E: and F:
are listed as active)

Any opinion or advise will be deeply appreciated...

Monte..

hflare@comcast.net
6 answers Last reply
More about boot question

    First of all, do you have another copy of XP? In order to boot two
    different installations of XP you are going to need two licenses for XP.
    If you do have another copy of XP, I would install it on a different drive.

    Is there some reason you can't do this simply by creating another user
    account?

    "Montgomery Hounchell" <HFLARE@COMCAST.NET> wrote in message
    >I am running windows XP Home edition.....
    >
    > I have three hard drives... C: E: and F:
    >
    > I want to run two different installed winxp programs..
    >
    > I want to use one boot up system for my normal computer work..
    >
    > I want to use another one for my games only...
    >
    > I would like to be able to boot up my computer to run either of the
    > two OS programs.
    >

    > I need to know, if it would be better to run these two system boot ups
    > from different hard drives..
    >
    > Or to partition one big drive and to have two different operation
    > systems on the same hard drive?
    >
    > I need to know how to do either.. I know about the disk management
    > program in windowsxp.. but I am not that familiar with working with
    > it.
    >
    > At this time, my C: drive is listed as system the other two (E: and F:
    > are listed as active)
    >
    > Any opinion or advise will be deeply appreciated...
    >
    > Monte..
    >
    > hflare@comcast.net

    I didn't think that having two copies of Winxp on the "Same" computer
    was violating the licence .... but if that is the case.. I have copies
    of other windows programs Win98, Windows 2000, and WindowsME.

    My quest is to try and set up a system on a hard drive which might run
    some of my games. When I downloaded the SP2 upgrade from Microsoft it
    has caused most of my computer games to not operate in contrast to
    when I had the SP1 installed. All of my games worked then.

    I want to just have a dual boot of any windows program which will
    allow my games to work. But yet I want to keep the winxp with the sp2
    upgade..

    I think the sp2 upgrade is what made my games guit playing, I have
    read of this same thing happening to other users in the game
    newsgroups. I am not certain but if I create another account on the
    same winxp system it would not get me away from the sp2 upgrade
    problem with my games running.

    I think a dual boot would be the way for me go. Where I can have
    choice to boot to the winxp partition or to boot up into a win98
    partion. but I do not know how to do that in winxp. Can it be done
    with winxp or would I have to buy a seperate program like Partition
    Magic.. Can you or anyone give me that information?

    Thank you for any advice or help.

    Monte

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:24:52 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
    <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:

    >First of all, do you have another copy of XP? In order to boot two
    >different installations of XP you are going to need two licenses for XP.
    >If you do have another copy of XP, I would install it on a different drive.
    >
    > Is there some reason you can't do this simply by creating another user
    >account?

    Comments Inline:

    Montgomery Hounchell wrote:
    > I didn't think that having two copies of Winxp on the "Same" computer
    > was violating the licence .... but if that is the case.. I have copies
    > of other windows programs Win98, Windows 2000, and WindowsME.

    It *is* the case.. By the strict guidelines of the EULA that comes with
    Windows XP - One License = One Install.

    > My quest is to try and set up a system on a hard drive which might run
    > some of my games. When I downloaded the SP2 upgrade from Microsoft it
    > has caused most of my computer games to not operate in contrast to
    > when I had the SP1 installed. All of my games worked then.

    Sounds like issues with the games themselves - likely work-arounds can be
    found on the games web sites/forums.

    > I want to just have a dual boot of any windows program which will
    > allow my games to work. But yet I want to keep the winxp with the sp2
    > upgade..

    For Gaming, Windows 98SE is still what a lot of people use.
    However, most games should work in Windows XP, despite the SP level. Check
    the web pages for the games in question before giving up and doing some sort
    of Dual Boot just to play games.

    > I think the sp2 upgrade is what made my games guit playing, I have
    > read of this same thing happening to other users in the game
    > newsgroups. I am not certain but if I create another account on the
    > same winxp system it would not get me away from the sp2 upgrade
    > problem with my games running.

    Creating a new account might help - depending on what is causing the issue.
    What games are these that "stopped working" and what do you mean by "stopped
    working"?

    > I think a dual boot would be the way for me go. Where I can have
    > choice to boot to the winxp partition or to boot up into a win98
    > partion. but I do not know how to do that in winxp. Can it be done
    > with winxp or would I have to buy a seperate program like Partition
    > Magic.. Can you or anyone give me that information?

    www.google.com
    search for Dual Boot Windows 98 and Windows XP.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Having a second copy of XP on a computer is OK. Having a second copy on a
    computer without a second license to run it is not OK. As long as you own
    the copy of Windows that is installed and are not using the same copy to
    install multiple times, you are in compliance.

    >I didn't think that having two copies of Winxp on the "Same" computer
    > was violating the licence .... but if that is the case.. I have copies
    > of other windows programs Win98, Windows 2000, and WindowsME.
    >
    > My quest is to try and set up a system on a hard drive which might run
    > some of my games. When I downloaded the SP2 upgrade from Microsoft it
    > has caused most of my computer games to not operate in contrast to
    > when I had the SP1 installed. All of my games worked then.
    >
    > I want to just have a dual boot of any windows program which will
    > allow my games to work. But yet I want to keep the winxp with the sp2
    > upgade..
    >
    > I think the sp2 upgrade is what made my games guit playing, I have
    > read of this same thing happening to other users in the game
    > newsgroups. I am not certain but if I create another account on the
    > same winxp system it would not get me away from the sp2 upgrade
    > problem with my games running.
    >
    > I think a dual boot would be the way for me go. Where I can have
    > choice to boot to the winxp partition or to boot up into a win98
    > partion. but I do not know how to do that in winxp. Can it be done
    > with winxp or would I have to buy a seperate program like Partition
    > Magic.. Can you or anyone give me that information?
    >
    > Thank you for any advice or help.
    >
    > Monte
    >

    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:24:52 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
    > <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:
    >
    >>First of all, do you have another copy of XP? In order to boot two
    >>different installations of XP you are going to need two licenses for XP.
    >>If you do have another copy of XP, I would install it on a different
    >>drive.
    >>
    >> Is there some reason you can't do this simply by creating another user
    >>account?

    If these are online games, then you may need to work with the firewall to
    open appropriate ports. The website should have this info.

    "Montgomery Hounchell" <HFLARE@COMCAST.NET> wrote in message
    >I didn't think that having two copies of Winxp on the "Same" computer
    > was violating the licence .... but if that is the case.. I have copies
    > of other windows programs Win98, Windows 2000, and WindowsME.
    >
    > My quest is to try and set up a system on a hard drive which might run
    > some of my games. When I downloaded the SP2 upgrade from Microsoft it
    > has caused most of my computer games to not operate in contrast to
    > when I had the SP1 installed. All of my games worked then.
    >
    > I want to just have a dual boot of any windows program which will
    > allow my games to work. But yet I want to keep the winxp with the sp2
    > upgade..
    >
    > I think the sp2 upgrade is what made my games guit playing, I have
    > read of this same thing happening to other users in the game
    > newsgroups. I am not certain but if I create another account on the
    > same winxp system it would not get me away from the sp2 upgrade
    > problem with my games running.
    >
    > I think a dual boot would be the way for me go. Where I can have
    > choice to boot to the winxp partition or to boot up into a win98
    > partion. but I do not know how to do that in winxp. Can it be done
    > with winxp or would I have to buy a seperate program like Partition
    > Magic.. Can you or anyone give me that information?
    >
    > Thank you for any advice or help.
    >
    > Monte
    >

    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:24:52 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
    > <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:
    >
    >>First of all, do you have another copy of XP? In order to boot two
    >>different installations of XP you are going to need two licenses for XP.
    >>If you do have another copy of XP, I would install it on a different
    >>drive.
    >>
    >> Is there some reason you can't do this simply by creating another user
    >>account?

    Hyperos will let you do this but maybe a little expensive for your
    purpose. I use it to run 4 XP, 1 ME and 1 Linux system on the same PC.

    >I didn't think that having two copies of Winxp on the "Same" computer
    >was violating the licence .... but if that is the case.. I have copies
    >of other windows programs Win98, Windows 2000, and WindowsME.
    >
    >My quest is to try and set up a system on a hard drive which might run
    >some of my games. When I downloaded the SP2 upgrade from Microsoft it
    >has caused most of my computer games to not operate in contrast to
    >when I had the SP1 installed. All of my games worked then.
    >
    >I want to just have a dual boot of any windows program which will
    >allow my games to work. But yet I want to keep the winxp with the sp2
    >upgade..
    >
    >I think the sp2 upgrade is what made my games guit playing, I have
    >read of this same thing happening to other users in the game
    >newsgroups. I am not certain but if I create another account on the
    >same winxp system it would not get me away from the sp2 upgrade
    >problem with my games running.
    >
    >I think a dual boot would be the way for me go. Where I can have
    >choice to boot to the winxp partition or to boot up into a win98
    >partion. but I do not know how to do that in winxp. Can it be done
    >with winxp or would I have to buy a seperate program like Partition
    >Magic.. Can you or anyone give me that information?
    >
    >Thank you for any advice or help.
    >
    >Monte
    >

    >On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:24:52 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
    ><colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:
    >
    >>First of all, do you have another copy of XP? In order to boot two
    >>different installations of XP you are going to need two licenses for XP.
    >>If you do have another copy of XP, I would install it on a different drive.
    >>
    >> Is there some reason you can't do this simply by creating another user
    >>account?

Windows XP