System rebooting on startup

I have a system that dual-boots Win98 and Win2000 on separate partitions.
Both systems are fully current on updates and anti-virus. Everything was
working fine on Saturday. Sunday morning, I was in Win98 and it was fine.
I rebooted into Win2000, and that is when the fun started.

First, I had a "missing or corrupt D:\WINNT\System32\Config\System file".
Not a problem. My D-Drive is formatted as FAT32 for just this kind of
problem, so I booted into Win98, and copied the file from the Repair folder,
and rebooted. Then, Win2000 had to perform a consistancy check on my D:
drive. Was taking forever (15 minutes to get to 17% with no problems), so I
went to watch TV. Came back, and saw the screen had the white and blue
"Windows 2000 is starting" screen. Then, black screen and reboot. Now, I
just get the white bar going across the bottom of the screen, gets all the
way across, then reboot. Safe Mode doesn't work either, same problem.

I am not getting a blue screen or any kind of error. It just keeps
rebooting. I really don't want to have to reinstall everything if I don't
have to. Forunately, I can get to most of my data from Win98, but there is
a partition on another physical hard drive that is NTFS, so I can't see it.

Any ideas, before I do the deed and reinstall???
10 answers Last reply
More about system rebooting startup

    Andrei gave you the tool to recover with. Your drive probably failed.
    Download and run a diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturer's web
    site.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Head Hunter" wrote:
    |I have a system that dual-boots Win98 and Win2000 on separate partitions.
    | Both systems are fully current on updates and anti-virus. Everything was
    | working fine on Saturday. Sunday morning, I was in Win98 and it was fine.
    | I rebooted into Win2000, and that is when the fun started.
    |
    | First, I had a "missing or corrupt D:\WINNT\System32\Config\System file".
    | Not a problem. My D-Drive is formatted as FAT32 for just this kind of
    | problem, so I booted into Win98, and copied the file from the Repair
    folder,
    | and rebooted. Then, Win2000 had to perform a consistancy check on my D:
    | drive. Was taking forever (15 minutes to get to 17% with no problems), so
    | went to watch TV. Came back, and saw the screen had the white and blue
    | "Windows 2000 is starting" screen. Then, black screen and reboot. Now, I
    | just get the white bar going across the bottom of the screen, gets all the
    | way across, then reboot. Safe Mode doesn't work either, same problem.
    |
    | I am not getting a blue screen or any kind of error. It just keeps
    | rebooting. I really don't want to have to reinstall everything if I don't
    | have to. Forunately, I can get to most of my data from Win98, but there
    is
    | a partition on another physical hard drive that is NTFS, so I can't see
    it.

    | Any ideas, before I do the deed and reinstall???

    It isn't the drive. The Win98 and Win2000 partitions are on the same
    physical drive. I can run a scandisk from Win98 on the Win2000 partition
    (remember, it is FAT32) and show no problems.

    "Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Andrei gave you the tool to recover with. Your drive probably failed.
    > Download and run a diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturer's web
    > site.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Head Hunter" wrote:
    > |I have a system that dual-boots Win98 and Win2000 on separate partitions.
    > | Both systems are fully current on updates and anti-virus. Everything
    > was
    > | working fine on Saturday. Sunday morning, I was in Win98 and it was
    > fine.
    > | I rebooted into Win2000, and that is when the fun started.
    > |
    > | First, I had a "missing or corrupt D:\WINNT\System32\Config\System
    > file".
    > | Not a problem. My D-Drive is formatted as FAT32 for just this kind of
    > | problem, so I booted into Win98, and copied the file from the Repair
    > folder,
    > | and rebooted. Then, Win2000 had to perform a consistancy check on my D:
    > | drive. Was taking forever (15 minutes to get to 17% with no problems),
    > so
    > | went to watch TV. Came back, and saw the screen had the white and blue
    > | "Windows 2000 is starting" screen. Then, black screen and reboot. Now,
    > | just get the white bar going across the bottom of the screen, gets all
    > the
    > | way across, then reboot. Safe Mode doesn't work either, same problem.
    > |
    > | I am not getting a blue screen or any kind of error. It just keeps
    > | rebooting. I really don't want to have to reinstall everything if I
    > don't
    > | have to. Forunately, I can get to most of my data from Win98, but there
    > is
    > | a partition on another physical hard drive that is NTFS, so I can't see
    > it.
    > |
    > | Any ideas, before I do the deed and reinstall???

    Never use win9x tools on any NT'ish operating system partition. scandisk is
    a file system tool. The drive manufacturer's tools are more exhaustive in
    that they also verify the hardware.

    --

    "Head Hunter" wrote:
    | It isn't the drive. The Win98 and Win2000 partitions are on the same
    | physical drive. I can run a scandisk from Win98 on the Win2000 partition
    | (remember, it is FAT32) and show no problems.

    you'll probably end doing a reinstall (did you tried a Repair from the
    windows cd?)

    copy your files from the NTFS partition using this:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsWindows98.html

    --
    Andrei Ungureanu
    www.eventid.net

    "Head Hunter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a system that dual-boots Win98 and Win2000 on separate partitions.
    >Both systems are fully current on updates and anti-virus. Everything was
    >working fine on Saturday. Sunday morning, I was in Win98 and it was fine.
    >I rebooted into Win2000, and that is when the fun started.
    >
    > First, I had a "missing or corrupt D:\WINNT\System32\Config\System file".
    > Not a problem. My D-Drive is formatted as FAT32 for just this kind of
    > problem, so I booted into Win98, and copied the file from the Repair
    > folder, and rebooted. Then, Win2000 had to perform a consistancy check on
    > my D: drive. Was taking forever (15 minutes to get to 17% with no
    > problems), so I went to watch TV. Came back, and saw the screen had the
    > white and blue "Windows 2000 is starting" screen. Then, black screen and
    > reboot. Now, I just get the white bar going across the bottom of the
    > screen, gets all the way across, then reboot. Safe Mode doesn't work
    > either, same problem.
    >
    > I am not getting a blue screen or any kind of error. It just keeps
    > rebooting. I really don't want to have to reinstall everything if I don't
    > have to. Forunately, I can get to most of my data from Win98, but there
    > is a partition on another physical hard drive that is NTFS, so I can't see
    > it.
    >
    > Any ideas, before I do the deed and reinstall???

    I don't have an ERD, so I wasn't sure what to try from the recovery console.
    I tried FIXBOOT, with no luck, and I wasn't sure what to try. I kind of
    wish I was getting a BSOD, or something. At least I would have an idea what
    the problem is. Could I have screwed something up by copying the SYSTEM
    file with Win98 instead of Win2000?

    "Andrei Ungureanu" <andreix at msn dot com> wrote in message
    > you'll probably end doing a reinstall (did you tried a Repair from the
    > windows cd?)
    >
    > copy your files from the NTFS partition using this:
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsWindows98.html
    >

    > --
    > Andrei Ungureanu
    > www.eventid.net
    > Free Windows event logs reports
    > http://www.altairtech.ca/evlog/
    >
    > "Head Hunter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a system that dual-boots Win98 and Win2000 on separate partitions.
    >>Both systems are fully current on updates and anti-virus. Everything was
    >>working fine on Saturday. Sunday morning, I was in Win98 and it was fine.
    >>I rebooted into Win2000, and that is when the fun started.
    >>
    >> First, I had a "missing or corrupt D:\WINNT\System32\Config\System file".
    >> Not a problem. My D-Drive is formatted as FAT32 for just this kind of
    >> problem, so I booted into Win98, and copied the file from the Repair
    >> folder, and rebooted. Then, Win2000 had to perform a consistancy check
    >> on my D: drive. Was taking forever (15 minutes to get to 17% with no
    >> problems), so I went to watch TV. Came back, and saw the screen had the
    >> white and blue "Windows 2000 is starting" screen. Then, black screen and
    >> reboot. Now, I just get the white bar going across the bottom of the
    >> screen, gets all the way across, then reboot. Safe Mode doesn't work
    >> either, same problem.
    >>
    >> I am not getting a blue screen or any kind of error. It just keeps
    >> rebooting. I really don't want to have to reinstall everything if I
    >> don't have to. Forunately, I can get to most of my data from Win98, but
    >> there is a partition on another physical hard drive that is NTFS, so I
    >> can't see it.
    >>
    >> Any ideas, before I do the deed and reinstall???

    Hi Head,

    Thanks for your posting. Also thanks for Andrei and Dave's replies.

    I agree with Andrei and Dave, it might be better if you check the hard
    drive first with drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility. If the disk is
    good, you may try a repair installation as below:

    1. Start Windows 2000 by using the Windows 2000 CD-ROM or Setup boot disks.
    2. When Windows 2000 Setup starts, press ENTER to start, and then press the
    R key to repair the existing installation.
    3. Press R again to initiate the emergency repair process to fix the
    existing installation of Windows 2000.
    4. Press F to initiate the process that automatically repairs the computer.

    5. Since you do not have an ERD, press L. Windows starts to search for the
    installation and displays any installation that it finds. If the emergency
    repair process cannot locate the Windows 2000 installation, you have to
    reinstall Windows 2000.

    Hope this helps!

    Have a nice day!

    Sincerely,
    Tom Che
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    >From: "Head Hunter" <nospam@nospam.com>
    >Subject: System rebooting on startup
    >Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:06:33 -0700
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    >
    >I have a system that dual-boots Win98 and Win2000 on separate partitions.
    >Both systems are fully current on updates and anti-virus. Everything was
    >working fine on Saturday. Sunday morning, I was in Win98 and it was fine.
    >I rebooted into Win2000, and that is when the fun started.
    >
    >First, I had a "missing or corrupt D:\WINNT\System32\Config\System file".
    >Not a problem. My D-Drive is formatted as FAT32 for just this kind of
    >problem, so I booted into Win98, and copied the file from the Repair
    folder,
    >and rebooted. Then, Win2000 had to perform a consistancy check on my D:
    >drive. Was taking forever (15 minutes to get to 17% with no problems), so
    >went to watch TV. Came back, and saw the screen had the white and blue
    >"Windows 2000 is starting" screen. Then, black screen and reboot. Now, I
    >just get the white bar going across the bottom of the screen, gets all the
    >way across, then reboot. Safe Mode doesn't work either, same problem.
    >
    >I am not getting a blue screen or any kind of error. It just keeps
    >rebooting. I really don't want to have to reinstall everything if I don't
    >have to. Forunately, I can get to most of my data from Win98, but there
    is
    >a partition on another physical hard drive that is NTFS, so I can't see it.
    >
    >Any ideas, before I do the deed and reinstall???

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    OK. The Win2000 Resource Guide suggests install a duplicate copy of Win2000
    and using it to scan the drives, theoretically fix the registry, etc.
    Looking at a mini-hex dump, it seemed to say it couldn't load the security
    hive. I copied over the security, system, and software files from the
    original \repair folder into the \system32\config folder. I now get a very
    fast blue screen, then the reboot. Loading the original installations event
    viewer files into the second installation, I have a bugcheck showing error
    0xc000218. I googled for it, and the only hit I got was on the Spanish
    version of the MS Technet site which called it an UNKNOWN_HARD_ERROR.
    Unfortunately, I don't read Spanish. Also, this error is not in the English
    Technet site, or listed in any of my Win2000 resource books. The link is
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/es/library/ServerHelp/fc8efbed-4ea6-4068-9f55-40801292ec6d.mspx

    I am pretty sure it is my hard drive, but I am still hoping.

    "Head Hunter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a system that dual-boots Win98 and Win2000 on separate partitions.
    >Both systems are fully current on updates and anti-virus. Everything was
    >working fine on Saturday. Sunday morning, I was in Win98 and it was fine.
    >I rebooted into Win2000, and that is when the fun started.
    >
    > First, I had a "missing or corrupt D:\WINNT\System32\Config\System file".
    > Not a problem. My D-Drive is formatted as FAT32 for just this kind of
    > problem, so I booted into Win98, and copied the file from the Repair
    > folder, and rebooted. Then, Win2000 had to perform a consistancy check on
    > my D: drive. Was taking forever (15 minutes to get to 17% with no
    > problems), so I went to watch TV. Came back, and saw the screen had the
    > white and blue "Windows 2000 is starting" screen. Then, black screen and
    > reboot. Now, I just get the white bar going across the bottom of the
    > screen, gets all the way across, then reboot. Safe Mode doesn't work
    > either, same problem.
    >
    > I am not getting a blue screen or any kind of error. It just keeps
    > rebooting. I really don't want to have to reinstall everything if I don't
    > have to. Forunately, I can get to most of my data from Win98, but there
    > is a partition on another physical hard drive that is NTFS, so I can't see
    > it.
    >
    > Any ideas, before I do the deed and reinstall???

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    0xC0000218

    You didn't mention the hive. Assuming the system hive and you already tried
    LKG, It may be possible to rename the system hive found in
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    to system.old
    then rename
    %windir%\system32\config\system.alt
    %windir%\system32\config\system

    You can also try using the most recent backup found in
    %windir%\repair\regback

    If that fails you haven't much choice but to copy/ use the
    original-as-installed system hive from
    %windir%\repair\system
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    You'll need to reinstall the device drivers for any hardware added since the
    original OS install.

    If the software hive, it may be possible to rename the software hive found
    in;
    %windir%\system32\config\software
    to software.old
    then copy the most recent backup found in
    %windir%\repair\regback
    as
    %windir%\system32\config\software

    If that fails you can copy/ use the file
    %windir%\repair\software
    This file is an image of the hive at the time the OS was installed, so you'd
    have to reinstall all software. This being the case you might just as well
    blow it away and start a new install. (note: this would at least allow you
    to start the OS to make any necessary backups prior to wiping the drive.)

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks. At
    the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows 2000
    installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
    Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
    the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    You can do the copy from your parallel install.

    --

    "Head Hunter" wrote:
    | OK. The Win2000 Resource Guide suggests install a duplicate copy of
    Win2000
    | and using it to scan the drives, theoretically fix the registry, etc.
    | Looking at a mini-hex dump, it seemed to say it couldn't load the security
    | hive. I copied over the security, system, and software files from the
    | original \repair folder into the \system32\config folder. I now get a
    very
    | fast blue screen, then the reboot. Loading the original installations
    event
    | viewer files into the second installation, I have a bugcheck showing error
    | 0xc000218. I googled for it, and the only hit I got was on the Spanish
    | version of the MS Technet site which called it an UNKNOWN_HARD_ERROR.
    | Unfortunately, I don't read Spanish. Also, this error is not in the
    English
    | Technet site, or listed in any of my Win2000 resource books. The link is

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/es/library/ServerHelp/fc8efbed-4ea6-4068-9f55-40801292ec6d.mspx

    | I am pretty sure it is my hard drive, but I am still hoping.
    |
    | "Head Hunter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    | >I have a system that dual-boots Win98 and Win2000 on separate partitions.
    | >Both systems are fully current on updates and anti-virus. Everything was
    | >working fine on Saturday. Sunday morning, I was in Win98 and it was
    fine.
    | >I rebooted into Win2000, and that is when the fun started.
    | >
    | > First, I had a "missing or corrupt D:\WINNT\System32\Config\System
    file".
    | > Not a problem. My D-Drive is formatted as FAT32 for just this kind of
    | > problem, so I booted into Win98, and copied the file from the Repair
    | > folder, and rebooted. Then, Win2000 had to perform a consistancy check
    on
    | > my D: drive. Was taking forever (15 minutes to get to 17% with no
    | > problems), so I went to watch TV. Came back, and saw the screen had the
    | > white and blue "Windows 2000 is starting" screen. Then, black screen
    and
    | > reboot. Now, I just get the white bar going across the bottom of the
    | > screen, gets all the way across, then reboot. Safe Mode doesn't work
    | > either, same problem.
    | >
    | > I am not getting a blue screen or any kind of error. It just keeps
    | > rebooting. I really don't want to have to reinstall everything if I
    don't
    | > have to. Forunately, I can get to most of my data from Win98, but there
    | > is a partition on another physical hard drive that is NTFS, so I can't
    see
    | > it.
    | >
    | > Any ideas, before I do the deed and reinstall???

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    I didn't mention the hive problem because I hadn't done the parallel install
    yet. Even then, it wasn't until I was looking through the resource guide
    that I found out I could access the old event files from the new
    installation. That is where I saw the stop error. It also mentioned the
    minidump file. That is where I saw the security file problem.

> [...]
    > | > problems), so I went to watch TV. Came back, and saw the screen had
    > the
    > | > white and blue "Windows 2000 is starting" screen. Then, black screen
    > and
    > | > reboot. Now, I just get the white bar going across the bottom of the
    > | > screen, gets all the way across, then reboot. Safe Mode doesn't work
    > | > either, same problem.
    > | >
    > | > I am not getting a blue screen or any kind of error. It just keeps
    > | > rebooting. I really don't want to have to reinstall everything if I
    > don't
    > | > have to. Forunately, I can get to most of my data from Win98, but
    > there
    > | > is a partition on another physical hard drive that is NTFS, so I can't
    > see
    > | > it.
    > | >
    > | > Any ideas, before I do the deed and reinstall???

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hi Head,

    For Stop 0xC0000218 Error, please refer to the following KB article:

    How to Troubleshoot a Stop 0xC0000218 Error Message
    http://support.microsoft.com//kb/156640

    Also copy related information here just for your convenience:

    CAUSE
    ================
    A Stop 0xc0000218 error message means that a necessary registry hive file
    could not be loaded. This error message can occur if the file is corrupt or
    missing. To resolve this issue, you can reinstall the operating system and
    restore the registry files from a backup.

    NOTE:
    ***The registry files may have been corrupted because of hard disk
    corruption or some other hardware problem.
    This error message can also occur if the driver has corrupted the registry
    data while loading into memory, or the memory where the registry is loading
    has a parity error. In the latter case, turn off the external cache and
    check the memory chips. ***

    RESOLUTION
    ================
    To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    1. Start your computer by running the Recovery Console, run the chkdsk /p
    command on the drive, and then restart your computer. Test to determine
    whether the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved, do not complete
    the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, go to step 2.
    2. When Windows loads, press SPACE BAR when the "Load Last Known Good"
    message appears.
    3. Complete a parallel installation, and restore the registry files from a
    tape backup. To do so: ? Reinstall Windows in a separate folder.
    - Restore the damaged registry hive from backup. This procedure is specific
    to the backup application that you used to make a backup. Consult the
    documentation of your backup application or consult the vendor if you need
    assistance. Typically, this procedure requires you to restore a system
    state backup to an alternate location, and then copy the appropriate
    registry files to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\config folder of the damaged
    operating system.
    - If you do not have a tape backup, include the backup of network servers
    and production workstations.
    NOTE: If Windows is stored on a FAT partition, you can restore the files by
    using another computer and by copying the registry hive files to the
    %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Config subfolder.

Windows