The Intel V8....

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
4X4 not extreme enough for you? Haven't burned/melted the insulation off the power line running to your house yet? Intel's V8 might be the thing for you!

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5622

Will be interesting to see how well this matches up against the 4X4, it should definately offer more overclocking headroom, though the single graphics may be a limitation as a 3D workstation.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Well, along the same lines, isn't the 4X4 really a proof-of-concept that made it into production? Both technologies are seeking the very tip of those at the bleeding edge, and offer little to anyone else aside from prodigious power consumption and very nice benchmark scores.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
No. 4X4 was not just going to be a concept platform, but one that AMD was planning on selling from it's inception.

The Intel V8 is sort of a way to poke fun at the 4X4.

Either way, a dual socket for the desktop (home/office) isn't really needed now, and might be one day, but definitely, not now.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
This really does look like a joke at the 4x4 platform by AMD.

It's 2 quad-core Xeons on a server/workstation board with a high-end desktop video card in a CM Stacker 830. I see nothing too special about that.

Just my $0.02

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/06/quad-core-xeon-clovertown-rolls-into-dp-servers/page11.html

Intel Xeon Quad Core(Clovertown):
Idle(IMO this is a reduntant measurement since not many are gonna run with power management off on a workstation like this, but PC users are insane so they'll have it off): 305W
Idle with power management: 272W
Load(CPU): 436W

AMD Quad FX:
Idle: 426W
Idle with power management: 261W
Load(CPU): 530W

Hmm... Quad FX consumes more power than Xeon Quad Core. Xeon has a disadvantage using double the amount of FB-DIMM(8GB vs. 4GB) and one more hard drive.

4X4 not extreme enough for you? Haven't burned/melted the insulation off the power line running to your house yet? Intel's V8 might be the thing for you!

If Xeon Quad Core system is extreme for power consumption, what about the Quad FX system that uses 100W more?? So much for FB-DIMM and IMC adding to power efficiency.

Not to mention the Xeon system will be faster at all non-3D apps, significantly.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Apparently Apple's taking it seriously.. last paragraph of the article:

"Apple launched its dual-xeon Mac Pro platform earlier this year. The Mac Pro slots two Core-based Xeon DP processors, and is dual-core ready. However, only weeks after the Mac Pro launch my former employer was spotted running the system with quad-core processors instead. Support for official quad-core support in the Mac Pro will launch shortly, presumably at the MacWorld convention tommorow."

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Apparently Apple's taking it seriously.. last paragraph of the article:

"Apple launched its dual-xeon Mac Pro platform earlier this year. The Mac Pro slots two Core-based Xeon DP processors, and is dual-core ready. However, only weeks after the Mac Pro launch my former employer was spotted running the system with quad-core processors instead. Support for official quad-core support in the Mac Pro will launch shortly, presumably at the MacWorld convention tommorow."
That 8-core abomination would definetely be put to better use in a Mac. :lol:

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I think it's all pretty hilarious, they probably had some empty booth space at CES and decided to throw this out there... I really do like the case the "V8" is in though. And I was being sarcastic with the power consumption remarks. Bet this baby would surpass the 4X4 in consump. around, I dunno, 3.2Ghz though.....

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
No surprise that Apple would produce a system with dual quad-cores. Since they've switched to Intel they've kept pretty up-to-date on their processors in their high-end systems. Those high-end systems are often used for intense video editing and such, and that's something that would be helped tremendously by the greater number of cores. So there's no mystery.

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
So, 1 dual socket, SLI board = better enthusiasts motherboard features?

C'mon. Both AMD and Intel have SLI/Crossfire boards available for their flagship processors, and even some mid/high range CPUs.

Just cause AMD changed a server board to run DDR2 and put SLI on it, doesn't make it a better choice. It would be if there were more than 1 choice, though.

I don't understand what features you're talking about? More SATA connections?

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

C'mon. Both AMD and Intel have SLI/Crossfire boards available for their flagship processors, and even some mid/high range CPUs.

Just cause AMD changed a server board to run DDR2 and put SLI on it, doesn't make it a better choice. It would be if there were more than 1 choice, though.

Maybe I'm just living in the past, :(

But as bad as it is now, QuadFX might turn into quit the respectable platform in six or seven months.

Speaking of SLI/Crossfire...I'd like a unified standard in terms of chipset usability (i.e., being able to use both SLI and Crossfire, SUPPORTED, on one chipset) :x

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, allowing a server board to use DDR2 or SLI, but who will run 15-20 SATA drives in one system? Even in RAID, that's a crapload of drives to have.

I'm sure dual socket will have it's place, but I don't think it will come until the software is coded to use multiple cores/threads/etc.

Until then, it's a niche thing, and most enthusiasts aren't going to move to a platform that is not showing any improvement over a single socket system, IMO.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Well, dual socket certainly isn't the glamorous approach to take when building your average enthusiast system. It seems more like a stop-gap measure, a way to highlight the performance of many cores before it's technically feasible to place those cores on the same die. Dual socket had been around a long, long time before dual-core processors started catching on. Dual quads may eventually lead to 8 core chips, if intel sticks to its roadmap. As has been covered extensively elsewhere, multi-threaded code isn't particularily difficult, much less than learning a new programming language, and it's only a matter of time before more and more apps begin to take advantage of it. Perhaps there's a new version of moore's law - the number of cores on a die will double every 2 or 3 years....

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

with Intels "flagship" Intel workstation / sever chips you only have there chip set and they only have the pci-e lanes for 1 x16 video card. With AMD there boards with 2 x16 pci-e slots, 2 x8 slots , SAS raid uses 4 pci-e lanes and pci-x running off of 4 pci-e lanes with io left for htx slots / or other ht bus chips.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
It would be interesting to see Intel to make a consumer board with two sockets. I don't think they would want to modify too much. Perhaps just adding an additional PCI-e slot would be sufficient enough.
The Intel exon chip set has to few pci-e lanes to do that.

the chip in this board blows that away
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thundern6650w.html

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thundern4250qe.html

They soooo copied my idea... not. I've only got dual xeon 5160s... and I"m waiting for some money to get my 8800GTX watercooled.

Now... my mobo EATS that one... here it is..

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tempesti5000pw.html

Hehe... can't run SLI... only has so many PCI-e lanes... but right now I don't need that much bandwidth... sadly... I don't have my SAS controller... so my parts are just lying around.