mem recognition problem....

intelconvert6079

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I have 1 GB of RAM on my comp, the bios shows it. However, my XP doesn't recognize.....why?

BTW, I have a 1 GB stick and the XP is showing 512 MB. How do I get it to recognize?

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I am having similar problems. Windows xp will recognize only 3.25 gb of my 4gb of RAM. But when i run CPU-Z then it shows the correct amount. Does this mean i still have 4gb of ram or is there some kind of error?

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
A friend said:- I have a Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro Sli

This board came loaded with 4GB of ram and Win x64.

So I went to check the memory and it said 3.25GB.....where has the rest gone?

Windows site suggested the adding of /LARGEADDRESSAWARE in the boot.ini. After the reboot, this didn't help. This settings is more to do with virtual RAM.

I ran CPU-Z - it could see all the ram so it was definately there.

I upgraded the BIOS to the latest revision - nothing.

I noticed a few posts in this thread mentioning the memory hole - close, but on the G/B board this setting does not exist. Here comes the trick....

You need to enable the advanced settings in the BIOS before you can see the setting that is stopping the recognition of all the RAM. In the BIOS press CTRL + F1. This will let you get to the ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES. Go to the DRAM CONFIG. Set the H/W MEM Remap (4G RAM supp....to ENABLED.

Save and reboot..... end of message

PS: Sometimes a software conflict prevents your computer, or even CPU-z telling you the correct size of your memory. However, the BIOS does. :D

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Thanks for the reply, Since i only have the 32-bit xp am i getting the performance of 4gb or am i just wasting my money with this extra stick?

Mondoman

Splendid
Thanks for the reply, Since i only have the 32-bit xp am i getting the performance of 4gb or am i just wasting my money with this extra stick?
1) Windows can't even "see" the extra RAM, so Windows only uses 3.x GB.
2) However, if you remove a stick, at least part of your RAM will likely run in single-channel mode, reducing your memory throughput by 50%. If you remove 2 sticks, you should still be running in dual-channel mode.

4GBs will be useful under Vista, but under XP, there's almost always not much point in going above 2GB.