Checking memory chip type

cbennet

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Hi,

How can I verify the chip type on my Super Talent DDR2-800 without pulling the heat spreaders?

Regards,
Craig

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
There is no certain way. You can max them out and figure something out given their overclocking potential but its still unsure.
Those blue heatspreaders dont have clips, so rip them off with a screwdriver or something, take a pic, and then apply a lot of pressure to secure them back down. The thermal tape on them stays fresh so its 'reusable'.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
No thermal tape is stronger than soldering... and they never use permanent adhesives because it would be impossible to repair.
People has been ripping heatspreaders since memory first had them and I havent heard of a single problem in placing them back correctly.

cbennet

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Thank you all for the suggestions.

I'm not inclined to remove the heat spreaders and I do not find and references on the Super Talent site that provide information re: the chip type.

I've seen a few posts where people have referenced the week number for their sticks and have postulated that as of a certain week, Micron chips were no longer used for DDR2-800's. I'll try to dig up those posts again and PM those folks to see how they determined the week number and if there is reliable confirmation of the switch from Micon on a specific week.

Craig