casey

I have a lot of files in a folder called prefetch in Windows Explorer,
could someone please tell me what they are and are they safe to delete,
Thank you,
Casey

Casey wrote:
> I have a lot of files in a folder called prefetch in Windows
> Explorer, could someone please tell me what they are and are they
> safe to delete, Thank you,

What I need to find is a "How to use Google to search for things" web page..

The prefetch folder speeds up how fast your programs load.
It does this by monitoring how you use your computer and predicting when
your going to load a program - and loads the frontend into the RAM for
faster loading.

Use this to clean up your Prefetch:

<- Shenan ->

casey

Thank you,
Casey

Casey wrote:

>I have a lot of files in a folder called prefetch in Windows Explorer,
>could someone please tell me what they are and are they safe to delete,

Leave them. When a program is loaded, a record is put, or updated, in
the corresponding file in Prefetch, detailing what files it uses, in
what order. Boot of the system has such a record, too

From that two things happen.

One - when a load is started in future, the system arranges to get the
expected files into RAM straight away, without waiting to be asked, and

Two - every three days, a sort of semi-defrag run is done in a quiet
period, which arranges files so that such sets will be able to load as a
smooth stream without need to hunt around the disk for them. The boot
side of this speeds load of the system: the Bootvis program does a
preliminary optimisation of their layout, but it will take place, and
better, through the automatic process. The details of the best layout
are kept in the layout,inf file which is checked and updated each time
this optimisation runs, for the best overall performance. This can be
used for optimisation alternatively by some third party defrag programs,
eg Perfect Disk Pro

Two points:

Contrary to what is said it is *not* necessary to empty prefetch. Any
program that does
not get used for a week will have its file dropped out anyway: ones that
are rarely used get low priority in optimisation

and:
The optimisation at regular intervals is initiated by task scheduler so
you need to have it running for this to work (also for System Restore
to make its daily restore point) even though no scheduled task appears
if you look in control Panel - Scheduled tasks. Check the Advanced menu
there, and if it says 'Start Using. . ' click that so it says 'Stop
using . . .' It then looks for a time when the system is quiescent (I
think it waits for 15 mins of no disk activity, but am not sure on
that). This is one reason for the query 'my hard disk goes chattering
when I am doing nothing'; the other being search engine indexing.

null

Alex Nichol wrote:

I checked my prefetch folder, and you are correct about anything older
than 7 days is 'dropped', but I wonder:

1. Why isn't there anything about this on Microsoft's web site? (Perhaps
there is, but I can't find it there.)

and

2. Why would PC Magazine suggest cleaning it if the PC gets slow?

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.

1. Here is a sample of what information you would find about the disk cache
and prefetch. Now you know.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/base/disk_cache_information_str.asp

2. That is a fair question to ask in the PC Magazine forums.

"null" <null@planetzero.com> wrote in message
> Alex Nichol wrote:
>>

> I checked my prefetch folder, and you are correct about anything older
> than 7 days is 'dropped', but I wonder:
>
> 1. Why isn't there anything about this on Microsoft's web site? (Perhaps
> there is, but I can't find it there.)
>
> and
>
> 2. Why would PC Magazine suggest cleaning it if the PC gets slow?
>
> --
> The reader should exercise normal caution and backup the Registry and data
> files regularly, and especially before making any changes to their PC, as
> well as performing regular virus and spyware scans. I am not liable for
> problems or mishaps that occur from the reader using advice posted here.
> No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting of this
> message.

casey

Oh...thank you for all that information. I'll leave it alone. BTW, I do
search Google for answers before I start asking here . I was directed to a
forum and someone asked if it was safe to delete and the short answer was
"Yes". that's why I wanted to double check here.
Thanks again, much appreciated,
Casey.

null wrote:

>2. Why would PC Magazine suggest cleaning it if the PC gets slow?

PC magazine makes a lot of dubious suggestions