Sign in with
Your question

A few questions before purchasing...

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2007 3:16:48 AM

I've been slowly buying pieces here and there for my current desktop and I am finally at the processor/mobo/ram combo purchase point. Just to check with more skilled people I have a few questions...

Is it better to buy 2 sticks of 512 RAM or 1 stick of 1 GB?
Is there anyway to estimate the size of power supply I might need?
Is the processor below approximately 2 times as good as my current Intel Celeron 2.6 GHz? I am under the impression that the AMD model number is the same as intel's speed ( as in 4600+ = 4.6 GHz)

I am planning on getting...
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4 GHz 2x512KB L2 Cache AM2
EpoX EP-MF570SLI nForce 570 SLI MCP
Corsair XMS2 1GB (2x512MB) PC2 6400 Dual Channel

My power supply right now is an antec 350 watt smartpower 2.0 but the case I got (XION Solaris -GREEN-) comes with a 450 Watt supply.

This is the first time I have done this and would appreciate a heads up to any bumps in the road to watch out for.

thanks! (sorry for the novel)

More about : questions purchasing

January 10, 2007 4:46:48 AM

I think first off is the budget that you can spend on proc/mobo/ram combo.

4600 does not mean 4.6ghz just to clarify things

depending on your budget, if around 500 you are better off getting a core2duo from intel. If less, then a AM2 setup would do fine.
January 10, 2007 5:32:53 AM

Well I've done a lot of research and the prices are about right with the setup I'm looking at. So besides benchmark tests (i used tomshardware to compare) is there a way to know how an AMD and Intel processor compare?
Related resources
January 10, 2007 1:31:30 PM

Quote:
Is it better to buy 2 sticks of 512 RAM or 1 stick of 1 GB?
Is there anyway to estimate the size of power supply I might need?
Is the processor below approximately 2 times as good as my current Intel Celeron 2.6 GHz? I am under the impression that the AMD model number is the same as intel's speed ( as in 4600+ = 4.6 GHz)

1) Everything I've read is 1 stick of 1GB would be better, but others may better answer that

2) You can use the Power Calculator at:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

3) As trixst4r said, if your budget allows, go with C2D.
January 10, 2007 2:09:47 PM

2 sticks of 512 vs. 1 stick of 1 GB...

They both have positives and negatives, the 2 sticks should let the RAM run in dual channel mode and offer some performance benifits as a result. But, if you think you upgrade to 2 GB pretty soon, it may be better to live with slightly lower performance now so you can get a matching stick later and run 2 GB in dual channel.
!