James987

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
So basically here goes

I've been having internet probs, im on my mums comp right now..

i have a dlink g520 rev b. it crapped out on me.. stopped working

i tired installing drivers over and over.. I'd point it to the right driver..it would say it couldnt find a suitable driver. So then id say no..ill choose it from a list.. TADA theres the freaking driver, so i click it. click next. its installing...thank god. then it gives me this crap...

Device will not start (code 10)

wtf?...

I reformatted my computer..which btw the specs are

asus p4g8x mobo
2.66 ghz intel pent 4
win xp home... thats all you really need to know. theres my shitty 512 mb ram but im sure thats not important for this issue.

anyways, so i bought a netgear wg311t and after installing it how it said it didnt work.. wanted like 1000 reboots and for me to wait around for a dialogue that never poped up. (btw i had just reformatted and realized shit i didnt upgrade to sp2..) so i unisntalled everything, upped to sp2 and tried installing again. same problem. wouldnt detect it, and wouldnt install it manually. everytime i tried.. it would show you know how in windows when you install a driver theres the load bar thing in the wizard thats like..intalling..setting restore point, then shows which files are being "transfered" or w/e the hell they're doing... well it would freeze right in the middle. this has happened before with me when installing drivers and i just leave it for a while and it installs it self. well that didnt work. so i rebooted and tried again. I called netgear support. well for one thing the pre-recorded voice could hardly pronounce please hold. The indian guy on the phone was telling me to dismantle my moms computer and try installing the network card in her computer, im like...no...i see what your trying to say but...i dont think its the card or the cd...

so i try a couple more times by myself.. now when i install the netgear shit it tells me its had an internal error and cannot install. or uninstall for that matter. i tried that too. i REALLY dont feel like going thru dos and deleting it all..hell i really didnt feel like prying open my computer 10 times to put in and take out the same card. I've abandoned all procedure and im just throwing pci cards around now not even bothering to screw them down lol.

so anyhow.. thats that.

so now im trying to install the onboard lan/ethernet or w/e connection on my comp. Same issue, i point it to the correct drivers..(i know they are i've used them before) and its saying...oops cant find drivers for your device... so then i say no, ill choose from a list. AND VOILA theres the driver and device name as i remember it. So i choose it and it gives me.....device will not start. (error 10)

i've just about had it.

this wasnt a total custom build...i bought it and put more ram and swapped out harddrives. whats a custom build anyways, all you have to do is buy cpu, ram, mobo, psu + a harddrive and your pretty much set figuring you have a mouse + keyboard and os.

im thinking im just gonna have to go mainstream and buy a freakin factory built comp.. i've had it with this one and its endless problems.

i know its a long read, please help.. I do some freelance and alot of my clients have been out of contact for 2 days now because I talk to them thru my webmail which is registered to my domain..but for some reason the email dosnt show up when i check it online..only when i download it thru thunderbird... and it wont dl old emails with contact info. grrr

so yea..suggestions?

if i bring it in to the comp shop its gonna cost me $200+ and i really dont wanna cash that out.. mind as well save it and buy a mobo for a new build, lmfao.

-james

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
First thing would be email official dlink support, since the only thing that stayes after a format is the bios or cmos settings i would guess thats where the problem resides, either in OC voltages, transfer types ect, (if your mobo support these things). If you cannot remember any changes you may have made id suggest clearing cmos, or "restoring defaults" then re OC-ing

But thats just my guess, have a go. 8O

James987

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
First thing would be email official dlink support, since the only thing that stayes after a format is the bios or cmos settings i would guess thats where the problem resides, either in OC voltages, transfer types ect, (if your mobo support these things). If you cannot remember any changes you may have made id suggest clearing cmos, or "restoring defaults" then re OC-ing

But thats just my guess, have a go. 8O

how do i do that?

lol i've never had to deal with my cmos before...

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
*WARNING*
Editing bios incorrectly can cause your computer to fail to boot or damage hardware.

Thats alright we all have to learn, during bootup the first screen may be an ASUS logo or just a black screen that runs through the tests but they both do the same thing. What you need to do is at this stage press del or f1 or f2, it should tell you the key as this differs through brands "press (key here) to enter setup" this should take you to a screen with tabs or boxes (again perr brand difference) then select "reset to defaults" or something to do with defaults, your mobo may not have an option like this visible, it may be within a menu or tab.

once you reset this, if it is the bios, your card should now be able to work.
if these settings are not present, it may be time upgrade bios via floppy (way to long and complicated to explain here you may need to google it if you want to do it dangerous but usualy worth while)

*WARNING*
Editing bios incorrectly can cause your computer to fail to boot or damage hardware, when in doubt hit reset to defaults or clear cmos in bios.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Check the motherboard manual, to help you locate the correct jumper on the board, put it on the adjacent pins, start the computer, turn it off, put it back.

If that's not possible for some reasons, pop the round battery (if there's one), wait for about 30 seconds, power up-down, battery back in.

Try disabling various built-in features in bios, in case there's an IRQ conflict, llike the onboard lan, modem, ac97 sound etc.