time zone/daylight savings time

Hello,
how does W2K store the time zone-daylight savings time?

My problem: I have several windows systems on my PC. Time zone is Berlin
(GMT+1). If I set automatically adjust for daylight savings for all
systems, each one will increase/decrease the computer time in
March/October - leading to a wrong computer time.

I want my main system to adjust automatically. However, I want the other
system to be in MET/daylight savings time (GMT+2) as well. Otherwise the
time stamps on my NTFS systems will be correctly translated to local time
in my main system (GMT+2) and one hour younger (GMT+1) on the others.

The time zone list does not include MET/daylight savings time - only MET.

Is it impossible to switch manually to MET/daylight savings time without
the automatic adjustment at the beginnen and end of hte daylight savings
time?

Oskar von dem Hagen
3 answers Last reply
More about time zone daylight savings time

    These articles may help.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcecoreos5/html/wce50conTimeZoneRegistrySettings.asp
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q129574
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832004

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Oskar von dem Hagen" wrote:
    | Hello,
    | how does W2K store the time zone-daylight savings time?
    |
    | My problem: I have several windows systems on my PC. Time zone is Berlin
    | (GMT+1). If I set automatically adjust for daylight savings for all
    | systems, each one will increase/decrease the computer time in
    | March/October - leading to a wrong computer time.
    |
    | I want my main system to adjust automatically. However, I want the other
    | system to be in MET/daylight savings time (GMT+2) as well. Otherwise the
    | time stamps on my NTFS systems will be correctly translated to local time
    | in my main system (GMT+2) and one hour younger (GMT+1) on the others.
    |
    | The time zone list does not include MET/daylight savings time - only MET.
    |
    | Is it impossible to switch manually to MET/daylight savings time without
    | the automatic adjustment at the beginnen and end of hte daylight savings
    | time?
    |
    | Oskar von dem Hagen

    Thanks. If I translate the first article correctly to W2K, it appears that
    I cannot manually set the daylight savings time in W2K. The binary
    TZI-subkey of a time-zone apparently contains the beginning and end date
    of the daylight-savings time. Presumably these dates are evaluated only if
    "automatic..." is checked.

    Oskar

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:38:53 +0200, Dave Patrick
    <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote:

    > These articles may help.
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcecoreos5/html/wce50conTimeZoneRegistrySettings.asp
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q129574
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832004

    That's probably true. Why not have each OS set it's clock to some NTP
    server?

    --

    "Oskar von dem Hagen" wrote:
    | Thanks. If I translate the first article correctly to W2K, it appears that
    | I cannot manually set the daylight savings time in W2K. The binary
    | TZI-subkey of a time-zone apparently contains the beginning and end date
    | of the daylight-savings time. Presumably these dates are evaluated only if
    | "automatic..." is checked.
    |
    | Oskar

Computers Systems Microsoft Windows