FSB: 425MHz
CPU Multiplier: 8
PCI-E frequency: 100MHz
vcore: 1.300V
FSB voltage: normal
MCH voltage: normal
PCI-E voltage: Normal
RAM: 1:1 (850MHz), 4-4-4-12, 2.1V

So I recently (yesterday) replaced my X-Finity PSU (ick) with a GameXStream 700W, and my Zalman 9700 with a Tuniq Tower. Everything seemed fine, and I was testing my overclock out at a slightly lower voltage (1.300 instead of 1.325 I had on my old crappy PSU) with dual-orthos (one Gromacs, one small FFT).

Looking at it every now and then, it ran fine for several hours at a temp of about 45C (CoreTemp) but I went to look at it again and it was frozen, and the temp had risen to 54C (I guess just before the freeze-up).

So I rebooted. Or I tried. I get nothing. No POST, no beeps, nothing on the screen (stays in power-saving mode), absolutely nothing. I crank up the fan control for the Tuniq, it doesn't seem to move at all. The keyboard appears to do nothing, and the mouse doesn't light up.

The PSU does turn on. Its fan spins, and its nifty blue light lights up. All the connectors are still plugged in tightly, as far as I can tell. The DVD drive makes its normal little noises, and the case fans spin. the fan on the video card runs, and if I turn it on without the 6-pin PCI-E power connector plugged into the card, a little red light still comes on on the card, so it must be getting power through the PCI-E slot.

Any ideas? Anyone? I have a hard time believing I permanently damaged my CPU at such a low voltage, and the only other voltage I upped was RAM, and it was within spec for the sticks.

The entire system is only a month and a half old, the PSU and Tuniq are brand spanking new. The PSU is vastly superior to my old POS Ultra. I was very careful when I disassembled and reassembled everything, wearing an antistatic wrist strap, and working on an antistatic mat. And it all worked brilliantly until an hour or so ago.

Am I the victim of an act of God? This makes me a saaaad panda :cry:

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
No Guarentees but that problem sounds like my oldish one, also using corsair XMS, what i did was to the ram out and put it back in in different order, i did this like 10 times but it worked!!!! :D

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Hmm, really? I have my doubts, given that it's worked magnificently up until this point.

I'll guess I'll try anything at this point, though. But maybe not tonight. It's getting late.

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Got a multimeter? If you unplug all the power connectors, and ground the green wire on the 24pin ATX connector, it'll turn the PSU on. Then, use your multimeter to see if all the lines are producing voltage. Perhaps it's a rail problem?

akhilles

Splendid
That sucks. Good thing you didn't update bios to F8 if they had one.

What I'd do:
- clear cmos & try it
- put the old psu back in the case & try it
- take everything out & build a barebone & try it

It was still better than my E1000W which will shut down to protect my parts if I plug a 4-pin molxe in the mobo which has one, as if it had a mind of its own. My old E600W worked perfect with everything plugged in. The OCZ is a good one. My friend has been using it for over a month now.

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Tried CMOS clear pretty much first thing - nuthin'

I did buy a multimeter a while ago on a whim.

I'm loathe to try my lame-ass ULTRA back in place of the OCZ, but I'll definitely give it a shot.

I think all this will have to wait until after work today, though, I don't have the time right now. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
OK, I put the old ULTRA back in there, no good, same problem. At least I can be fairly sure the problem's not the PSU given I'm 100% sure the old ULTRA worked when I took it out.

I also tried:

Only mobo, CPU, and HSF - nothing
added 1 stick RAM - nothing
added hard drive - nothing
added video card - nothing

So I've still got a big fat nothing. Man, things can go from really good to really bad really quickly, can't they?

I'm thinking the board's bad. Maybe I stressed something on the board (I'd like to think not, but hey, it's possible) while swapping things around, and it gave after a few hours under the weight of the Tuniq. Or maybe I just had a freak failure and no one's to blame.

Or could it be the CPU? But then wouldn't the board probably bitch about it, or something? Any ideas?

Or should I RMA the board? It has a 3-year warranty, and the retailer I bought it from will handle RMA within a year of the original purchase date.

DS3 - Durable my ass!

[sigh]

Guess I'm stuck with "old faithful' for now. My trusty Prescott Pentium 630.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
No Guarentees but that problem sounds like my oldish one, also using corsair XMS, what i did was to the ram out and put it back in in different order, i did this like 10 times but it worked!!!! :D

Dude the problem is, probably, that a piece of dust or ususally a hair finds its way to the memory slots, hindering the connection of all pins. It happened to me couple of times and in the begining I almost paniced.
Try blowing the memory slots or gently vacuuming them.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
OK, I put the old ULTRA back in there, no good, same problem. At least I can be fairly sure the problem's not the PSU given I'm 100% sure the old ULTRA worked when I took it out.

I also tried:

Only mobo, CPU, and HSF - nothing
added 1 stick RAM - nothing
added hard drive - nothing
added video card - nothing

I'm thinking the board's bad. Maybe I stressed something on the board (I'd like to think not, but hey, it's possible) while swapping things around, and it gave after a few hours under the weight of the Tuniq. Or maybe I just had a freak failure and no one's to blame.

Or could it be the CPU? But then wouldn't the board probably bitch about it, or something? Any ideas?

Actually it does look like something is dead there. Do you have a chance testing the cpu and mobo separatly? That would tell i think.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
oh one more thing - you can redo the cmos clearing without the battery and with electricity disconnected.
maybe .. just mayyyybe....

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
My replacement mobo came this week, finally got some time today to put it all together - it's alive! Oh, POST beep, you're the sweetest sound I've ever heard!

Thanks to all who helped diagnose the problem.

TRENDING THREADS