Need to acquire a hotfix

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 1, 2005 1:30:01 AM

The info for the hotfix is at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814171 and I don't
see how I can actually get ahold of it. I need the Windows 2000 version.

Why can't Microsoft actually link to the thing? Do I have to call them and
wade through their support lines in order to get it? Will I have to provide
credit card info before they'd tell me where to find it?

MK

More about : acquire hotfix

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:31:12 PM

Michael Kennedy wrote:

> The info for the hotfix is at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814171 and I don't
> see how I can actually get ahold of it. I need the Windows 2000 version.
>
> Why can't Microsoft actually link to the thing? Do I have to call them and
> wade through their support lines in order to get it? Will I have to provide
> credit card info before they'd tell me where to find it?
>
> MK
Hi,

It should not cost you anything (but they may want your credit card number).

As the article states, you need to call Microsoft Product Support Services to
obtain it (outside the US, customers should contact their local Microsoft
subsidiary.). The support call will be be free as long as you refer to the
Knowledge Base Article number (814171) and ask for nothing more.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
September 1, 2005 3:06:27 PM

In my experience asking for a hotfix can either result in getting
immediately with the first or second person you talk to or for MDAC and SQL
issues sometimes a third. Credit Card is never requested for a Hotfix. But
if you have trouble with it support may or may not require the credit card
depending on what the issue is. Use Microsoft's 1-800 number if you are in
USA.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
> Michael Kennedy wrote:
>
> > The info for the hotfix is at
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814171 and I
don't
> > see how I can actually get ahold of it. I need the Windows 2000
version.

> > Why can't Microsoft actually link to the thing? Do I have to call them
and
> > wade through their support lines in order to get it? Will I have to
provide
> > credit card info before they'd tell me where to find it?
> >
> > MK
> Hi,
>
> It should not cost you anything (but they may want your credit card
number).

> As the article states, you need to call Microsoft Product Support Services
> obtain it (outside the US, customers should contact their local Microsoft
> subsidiary.). The support call will be be free as long as you refer to the
> Knowledge Base Article number (814171) and ask for nothing more.

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...
September 1, 2005 5:15:02 PM

Done. I've got it now. Thanks a lot.

Why is Microsoft so stingy with their hotfixes? I'd think it'd save them a
lot of money to simply link to them.

MK

"George Hester" wrote:

> In my experience asking for a hotfix can either result in getting
> immediately with the first or second person you talk to or for MDAC and SQL
> issues sometimes a third. Credit Card is never requested for a Hotfix. But
> if you have trouble with it support may or may not require the credit card
> depending on what the issue is. Use Microsoft's 1-800 number if you are in
> USA.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _________________________________
> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
> > Michael Kennedy wrote:
> >
> > > The info for the hotfix is at
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814171 and I
> don't
> > > see how I can actually get ahold of it. I need the Windows 2000
> version.
> > >
> > > Why can't Microsoft actually link to the thing? Do I have to call them
> and
> > > wade through their support lines in order to get it? Will I have to
> provide
> > > credit card info before they'd tell me where to find it?
> > >
> > > MK
> > Hi,
> >
> > It should not cost you anything (but they may want your credit card
> number).
> >
> > As the article states, you need to call Microsoft Product Support Services
> > obtain it (outside the US, customers should contact their local Microsoft
> > subsidiary.). The support call will be be free as long as you refer to the
> > Knowledge Base Article number (814171) and ask for nothing more.
> >

> > --
> > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> > Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
> > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 11:17:44 PM

It is not a matter of money. Your Hotfix has not been what is called
"regression tested." What this means in a Nutshell is that it has not been
tested so that if they gave it away without you asking for it in other words
1000's of people d/l and installing it when issues come up later (alwys
happens maybe unrelated to the hotfix) they cannot attribute the issue to a
hofix they may have released the control has been lost. Not a good state of
affairs. No the result of releasing an untested hotfix publically could
cost Millions. Remember Micosoft releases hotfixes that require changes
becuse Millions have people have complained. That costs Millions to fix so
you can imagine if they are not ready yet (in your case the hotfix) they are
not going to release it publically. Instead what they do is give you the
impression it costs money and every one is happy. Microsoft is not flooded
by phone calls demanding that free thing and you are happy because you go to
the Movies instead.

--
George Hester

!