Need to acquire a hotfix

The info for the hotfix is at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814171 and I don't
see how I can actually get ahold of it. I need the Windows 2000 version.

Why can't Microsoft actually link to the thing? Do I have to call them and
wade through their support lines in order to get it? Will I have to provide
credit card info before they'd tell me where to find it?

MK
4 answers Last reply
More about need acquire hotfix

    Michael Kennedy wrote:

    > The info for the hotfix is at
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814171 and I don't
    > see how I can actually get ahold of it. I need the Windows 2000 version.
    >
    > Why can't Microsoft actually link to the thing? Do I have to call them and
    > wade through their support lines in order to get it? Will I have to provide
    > credit card info before they'd tell me where to find it?
    >
    > MK
    Hi,

    It should not cost you anything (but they may want your credit card number).

    As the article states, you need to call Microsoft Product Support Services to
    obtain it (outside the US, customers should contact their local Microsoft
    subsidiary.). The support call will be be free as long as you refer to the
    Knowledge Base Article number (814171) and ask for nothing more.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    In my experience asking for a hotfix can either result in getting
    immediately with the first or second person you talk to or for MDAC and SQL
    issues sometimes a third. Credit Card is never requested for a Hotfix. But
    if you have trouble with it support may or may not require the credit card
    depending on what the issue is. Use Microsoft's 1-800 number if you are in
    USA.

    --
    George Hester
    _________________________________
    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
    > Michael Kennedy wrote:
    >
    > > The info for the hotfix is at
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814171 and I
    don't
    > > see how I can actually get ahold of it. I need the Windows 2000
    version.

    > > Why can't Microsoft actually link to the thing? Do I have to call them
    and
    > > wade through their support lines in order to get it? Will I have to
    provide
    > > credit card info before they'd tell me where to find it?
    > >
    > > MK
    > Hi,
    >
    > It should not cost you anything (but they may want your credit card
    number).

    > As the article states, you need to call Microsoft Product Support Services
    > obtain it (outside the US, customers should contact their local Microsoft
    > subsidiary.). The support call will be be free as long as you refer to the
    > Knowledge Base Article number (814171) and ask for nothing more.

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Done. I've got it now. Thanks a lot.

    Why is Microsoft so stingy with their hotfixes? I'd think it'd save them a
    lot of money to simply link to them.

    MK

    "George Hester" wrote:

    > In my experience asking for a hotfix can either result in getting
    > immediately with the first or second person you talk to or for MDAC and SQL
    > issues sometimes a third. Credit Card is never requested for a Hotfix. But
    > if you have trouble with it support may or may not require the credit card
    > depending on what the issue is. Use Microsoft's 1-800 number if you are in
    > USA.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _________________________________
    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
    > > Michael Kennedy wrote:
    > >
    > > > The info for the hotfix is at
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814171 and I
    > don't
    > > > see how I can actually get ahold of it. I need the Windows 2000
    > version.
    > > >
    > > > Why can't Microsoft actually link to the thing? Do I have to call them
    > and
    > > > wade through their support lines in order to get it? Will I have to
    > provide
    > > > credit card info before they'd tell me where to find it?
    > > >
    > > > MK
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > It should not cost you anything (but they may want your credit card
    > number).
    > >
    > > As the article states, you need to call Microsoft Product Support Services
    > > obtain it (outside the US, customers should contact their local Microsoft
    > > subsidiary.). The support call will be be free as long as you refer to the
    > > Knowledge Base Article number (814171) and ask for nothing more.
    > >

    > > --
    > > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    > > Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    > > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

    It is not a matter of money. Your Hotfix has not been what is called
    "regression tested." What this means in a Nutshell is that it has not been
    tested so that if they gave it away without you asking for it in other words
    1000's of people d/l and installing it when issues come up later (alwys
    happens maybe unrelated to the hotfix) they cannot attribute the issue to a
    hofix they may have released the control has been lost. Not a good state of
    affairs. No the result of releasing an untested hotfix publically could
    cost Millions. Remember Micosoft releases hotfixes that require changes
    becuse Millions have people have complained. That costs Millions to fix so
    you can imagine if they are not ready yet (in your case the hotfix) they are
    not going to release it publically. Instead what they do is give you the
    impression it costs money and every one is happy. Microsoft is not flooded
    by phone calls demanding that free thing and you are happy because you go to
    the Movies instead.

    --
    George Hester

Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows