High speed internet problems

MysteriousWind

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
My friend (who isn't very computer smart) has been complaining for a few days that her internet connection is pretty bad and web pages are taking forever to load. We both use Adelphia and my connection is as good as ever. Well, today I told them to go to Speakeasy and do a speed test (I did one as well). My download rate turned out to be 4666 kbps and her's was 295 kbps. Now I know there are other things besides an ISP that can limit a download speed, but that is a pretty damn big difference. If someone could list some steps I should use to troubleshoot her problem it would be very much appreciated (also any useful website). Also, her family isn't really computer smart and there's a chance they might have a virus of some sort, but I havn't had the chance to check their computer.

site3op

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
If your PC is getting a good connection, I would try hooking your PC up at her location first to make sure it's not a problem with the network. If you get a rate with your comp at her loc, then it's probably a spyware infection. It could still be hardware on her part, but I would wager on an infected PC. This link, http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html has some good information in it including some links to AV and anti spyware utilities. After cleaning up any infections, make sure to check for any updates to drivers for her components...Good luck.

MysteriousWind

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check the connection at her place, but an infection is very possible with her family. I'll bring NOD32 and some other stuff to her house, even if it isn't a virus that is messing up her internet there's probably some on her computer anyway.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
My suggestion would be to bring a copy of BartPE over and try running the speedtest from that. Since it boots off the CD, you can be sure that your running the test from a "clean" copy of Windows. Just make sure you include a driver for her network card when you build BartPE.