Ok guys i'm running:

e6600
asus p5b deluxe wifi
corsair xms-6400 800mhz
bfg 7900gs oc
creative xi fi xtreme music
320gb seagate hd with 16mb cache
Thermaltake Soprano Case
Thermaltake Toughpower 750w (4 x 12v rails at 18a each)

After extensive testing.... and buying a 750w toughpower psu, i'm still getting errors using memtest 86+, i can't raise the memory modules to 2.1v (as suggested by others) or else windows won't boot stably.

I tested the modules separately and they both appear fine, i then tested both modules in different slots so they were not in dual channel mode and it was fine. Only when I tested it in dual channel mode that I received errors.

I only let memtest 86+ run through once in each test.

Since I've eliminated the psu being the problem, do you guys reckon this is ram or motherboard so i can return whatever the faulty item is

Thanks

UPDATE

Problem has been solved, for good! Since I could not find the solution here, but instead on the corsair website forums, I'll post this here.

Anybody who is having problems with their Asus p5b deluxe and Corsair xms2 6400c5 should update bios and then change their ram timings to this.

5-5-5-12-5-42-3-11-5-14

The last four are default at 10-10-10-10, change them and hardware instability is gone!

koken2

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
My computer used to crash when playing music or videos or when gaming but that hasn't happened since i got my new psu, but i only got it today so i haven't had much time to test it out.

So far I've been playing neverwinter nights 2 and ran into an error that made it close the application and send an error report but thats about it. I got an error with americas army as well but not the windows one.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
The TT 750W is a very good psu, unlike TT's generic 430wers that die under a 150W load. Have you tried flashing the bios to the latest? If that doens't fix that and the voltage issues, RMA the mobo.

koken2

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
Yep I have the latest bios, i just pumped up my memory voltage to 2.05 and no more errors, worked like a charm, but i can't get to 2.1 stable :? oh well i guess it works

thanks for the help

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Which version of the TWIN2X2048-6400 are you running, the standard one or the C4 version.

If you are running the standard one (5.5.5.12) the maximum recommended voltage is 1.9v, the C4 version (4.4.4.12) is the one that runs 2.1v.

koken2

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
I"m running the non c4 version, and turns out my problems aren't all fixed... by pumping up the voltage to 2.05v i got rid of memtest errors but my system would crash whilst gaming... i turned it down to 1.9v as this is the recommended voltage but once again got memory errors... i honestly don't know what to do anymore.

Mondoman

Splendid
...by pumping up the voltage to 2.05v i got rid of memtest errors but my system would crash whilst gaming...
Unless you reinstalled Win and all your software, the crash could be due to corrupted Windows and/or game app files from the time you were running with memory errors.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
...by pumping up the voltage to 2.05v i got rid of memtest errors but my system would crash whilst gaming...
Unless you reinstalled Win and all your software, the crash could be due to corrupted Windows and/or game app files from the time you were running with memory errors.

Yep. Based on my experience with faulty RAM and trying install windows I can say with certainty that some OS files are corrupt. How big of a pain would it be to RMA them? (one at a time so you can still have a computer in leiu). Before doing that though, definately re-install windows. Even if the install finishes files can still be corrupted by faulty ram. The reason you arent running into your problem when not in dual channel mode is that you probably arent accessing the bad sector thats in one of your ram modules. Since dual channel splits the load across both modules, both modules "fill" accordingly. Therefore you will be more likely to have errors running in this mode, but even then its still fairly rare to have ram issues (something like 99% are good). This is the best theory i can think of. To figure out which module sucks, run memtest on one module at a time. Also make sure you're running the stock voltages for the sake of troubleshooting.

Hope this helps. If someone feels the need to correct please do so, I don't want to mislead anyone in the forums.

koken2

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
hmm i don't think so, when i turned my memory voltage back down to 1.9v i don't get the crashes anymore, just memtest errors

Mondoman

Splendid
You can't diagnose problems with memory or with corrupted files by whether a system crashes or not. That's like trying to figure out if you've been shot by asking if you're dead or not. Just because you're not dead doesn't mean you haven't been shot.
Try doing a bytewise comparison between some system files on your hard disk and the original versions on the Windows CD and see if there are any differences.

koken2

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
Ok, I've been doing more reading on the topic, and supposedly the generic corsair xms2 6400 (not c4) are not on the quality vendors list for the p5b deluxe.

I just wanted to know if anyone out there who has the p5b deluxe and the generic corsair xms2 6400 ram also has similar issues.

jordanwise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
ot oh. just ordered some corsair xsm2 6400 c4 ddr2 for my system, already having bought a p5b deluxe. i'll let you know how i get on when it arrives