Sign in with
Your question

Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 for gaming

Last response: in CPUs
January 10, 2007 10:41:59 AM

I just purchased the Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13 GHZ) for a new computer I'm building.

I'm building a $1400 gaming rig.

Come to find out the minimun system requirments (CPU) for the game I want to play is 2.4 GHZ.

Its an MMORPG (Vanguard) Does this mean I wont be able to play it without lag?

I also have Radeon X1950PRO 256MB ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... )

and 2 sticks of G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) System Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

Should I exchange the 6400 for a 2.4 GHZ when I get it, or do you think I will make do with no lag? I dont know anything about tweaking...but maybe that would be an option too?

Would appreciate any and all advice.
January 10, 2007 10:48:01 AM

By 2.4GHz they would mean a Pentium 4 class CPU.

A C2D is 2x as fast as a P4 clock for clock - a 2.13GHz E6300 would be equal to a 4.26GHz P4.

In a nutshell - you're fine, don't worry about it. ;) 
January 10, 2007 10:49:02 AM

The CVPU easily exceeds the minimum requirements, which are probably based on Pentium 4 speeds.
Related resources
January 10, 2007 11:17:34 AM

Stop asking the same question on every post you have, any one and everyone should be telling you that Even a E6300 @1.83Ghz would be at least or 2x better than even a 2.4.Ghz or even 2.8Ghz P4

I'll soon put up a list of Processors in performance order. Starting with the Athlon XP's and the Pentium 4 All the way to the latest and greatest (including future CPUs)

Edit: Jack I'm going to find a list Or make a list Of Processors in order, going to try to include the Celeron and Semptron too because they also deserve a listing too.

http://yokid37.blogspot.com/
January 10, 2007 12:22:16 PM

Yo_KID37

I would absolute love to have a copy of your list showing the relative performance of Pentium and C2D CPUs.

Also, please show the C2D performance using only one core compared to pentiums. This single core comparisions would be particular relevant when comparing perfomance for 'single-threaded' games

Thanks in advance
January 10, 2007 1:46:20 PM

Like I'm sure other posters have already said you're fine with that CPU. It blows the 2.4 they refer to in the specs away in most benchmarks and games as well. Good you're going for 2gig memory as well, if you're stuck in the rainy-ass starting zone I'm stuck in then gods help you for smooth gameplay. I'm sure hoping my new 1950Pro will help in this game and that they optimize the hell out of it before release :? As it is the min. requirements listed on their site is a bit wishful thinking with the current state of the game.

Got off on a bit of a tangent there oops. To those who haven't tried Vanguard don't get me wrong, its a decent MMO with lots of potential if they can bring it all together for release but its still laggy/crashy but it is still beta.

Sorry I'll try to save further rants about games for the proper forum/site :)  Peace.
January 10, 2007 3:23:01 PM

You need to take a look at Info-TECH for good prices on the new CPU's.
If you are not from Belgium, don't worry, they can delivery at just any place.

I report it because we know how hard it is to find great prices and great service.
!