need help deleting folders

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 1, 2005 2:08:03 PM

Unknow folders and subfolders, not created by user, with wierd names and
characters have appeared on my OS. I cannot delete or modify them and inspite
the fact that I have admin rights, i have access denied. It could be a virus?
I wish to get to get rid of it for good. One folder is called 3.83 \. %d .con
2.36 \ ;[[Scan By kiSiel]];

Can anyone please help? How can I remove it without the need to format the
drive?

thanks

Ted
3.83 \. %d .con 2.36 \ ;[[Scan By kiSiel]];

More about : deleting folders

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 5:36:03 PM

Also make sure you disable anonymous ftp access to this machine or I have a
feeling those directories will mysteriously reappear.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 12:16:21 AM

"=?Utf-8?B?VGVkIFdpbHNvbg==?=" <TedWilson@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:F0AD1001-1088-4F0D-B96E-CA46F63FA9E5@microsoft.com:

> Unknow folders and subfolders, not created by user, with wierd
> names and characters have appeared on my OS. I cannot delete or
> modify them and inspite the fact that I have admin rights, i have
> access denied. It could be a virus? I wish to get to get rid of it
> for good. One folder is called 3.83 \. %d .con 2.36 \ ;[[Scan By
> kiSiel]];
>
> Can anyone please help? How can I remove it without the need to
> format the drive?
>
> thanks
>
> Ted
> 3.83 \. %d .con 2.36 \ ;[[Scan By kiSiel]];

Not good. It appears some of your directories have been
overwritten. Backup what you can then run a disk check, checking
all options (Double-click "My Computer", right-click on "C" drive,
select "Properties", click on "Tools" tab, click the "check now"
button). You may have to reboot before the check begins.

Good Luck,
John
September 2, 2005 5:48:03 AM

Why are these directories created? When I try to delete the folders I get the
message " Cannot delete file:cannot read from source file or disk" Is it
created by any malicious user or virus?

thanks

Ted

"Will Alexander" wrote:

> Also make sure you disable anonymous ftp access to this machine or I have a
> feeling those directories will mysteriously reappear.

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 1:09:03 PM

Tried John's suggestion, rebooted and drive was checked. The folders are
still there and undeletable, what can I do?

thanks

Ted

..
"John Wunderlich" wrote:

> "=?Utf-8?B?VGVkIFdpbHNvbg==?=" <TedWilson@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in news:F0AD1001-1088-4F0D-B96E-CA46F63FA9E5@microsoft.com:
>
> > Unknow folders and subfolders, not created by user, with wierd
> > names and characters have appeared on my OS. I cannot delete or
> > modify them and inspite the fact that I have admin rights, i have
> > access denied. It could be a virus? I wish to get to get rid of it
> > for good. One folder is called 3.83 \. %d .con 2.36 \ ;[[Scan By
> > kiSiel]];
> >
> > Can anyone please help? How can I remove it without the need to
> > format the drive?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Ted
> > 3.83 \. %d .con 2.36 \ ;[[Scan By kiSiel]];
> >

> Not good. It appears some of your directories have been
> overwritten. Backup what you can then run a disk check, checking
> all options (Double-click "My Computer", right-click on "C" drive,
> select "Properties", click on "Tools" tab, click the "check now"
> button). You may have to reboot before the check begins.
>
> Good Luck,
> John

September 2, 2005 2:21:41 PM

Hi Ted,
Look here,
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=+%2...

lots of responses for "Scan By kiSiel"

I would make sure your antivirus is up to date along with windows
updates. I agree with both previous posters, Back UP your data!, and
SECURE your workstation. You may also need to scan for spyware with
Ad-aware or spy bot Search & destroy.

Worry about how to fix this first the we can work on why they are there
in the first place.

Ted Wilson wrote:
> Why are these directories created? When I try to delete the folders I get the
> message " Cannot delete file:cannot read from source file or disk" Is it
> created by any malicious user or virus?
>
> thanks
>
> Ted
>

> "Will Alexander" wrote:
>

>>Also make sure you disable anonymous ftp access to this machine or I have a
>>feeling those directories will mysteriously reappear.

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 3:01:04 PM

Tried evrything everyone suggested, latest tried to delete folder in Safe
Mode and failed. Need help please!!!!

Ted

"Dave" wrote:

> Hi Ted,
> Look here,
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=+%2...
>
> lots of responses for "Scan By kiSiel"
>
> I would make sure your antivirus is up to date along with windows
> updates. I agree with both previous posters, Back UP your data!, and
> SECURE your workstation. You may also need to scan for spyware with
> Ad-aware or spy bot Search & destroy.
>
> Worry about how to fix this first the we can work on why they are there
> in the first place.
>

> Ted Wilson wrote:
> > Why are these directories created? When I try to delete the folders I get the
> > message " Cannot delete file:cannot read from source file or disk" Is it
> > created by any malicious user or virus?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Ted
> >

> > "Will Alexander" wrote:
> >

> >>Also make sure you disable anonymous ftp access to this machine or I have a
> >>feeling those directories will mysteriously reappear.

September 2, 2005 4:14:55 PM

Hi ted,
Try booting into Safe Mode using F8 and open a comand prompt and us the
Del commaned. I think this is a work around for deleteing hard to delete
files and folders.
Dave

Ted Wilson wrote:
> Tried John's suggestion, rebooted and drive was checked. The folders are
> still there and undeletable, what can I do?
>
> thanks
>
> Ted
>

> ..
> "John Wunderlich" wrote:
>

>>"=?Utf-8?B?VGVkIFdpbHNvbg==?=" <TedWilson@discussions.microsoft.com>
>>wrote in news:F0AD1001-1088-4F0D-B96E-CA46F63FA9E5@microsoft.com:
>>

>>>Unknow folders and subfolders, not created by user, with wierd
>>>names and characters have appeared on my OS. I cannot delete or
>>>modify them and inspite the fact that I have admin rights, i have
>>>access denied. It could be a virus? I wish to get to get rid of it
>>>for good. One folder is called 3.83 \. %d .con 2.36 \ ;[[Scan By
>>>kiSiel]];
>>>
>>>Can anyone please help? How can I remove it without the need to
>>>format the drive?
>>>
>>>thanks
>>>
>>>Ted
>>>3.83 \. %d .con 2.36 \ ;[[Scan By kiSiel]];
>>>

>>Not good. It appears some of your directories have been
>>overwritten. Backup what you can then run a disk check, checking
>>all options (Double-click "My Computer", right-click on "C" drive,
>>select "Properties", click on "Tools" tab, click the "check now"
>>button). You may have to reboot before the check begins.
>>
>>Good Luck,
>> John

September 2, 2005 7:39:08 PM

Use process Explorer;
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtm...
to see what is using this file.

Also please confirm the following;

1. You are logged on as administrator correct.
2. your OS patches are up to date.
3. your Antivirus is up to date.

I Also just found this, I have not ever used it but it's worth a try
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Unlocker_d4660.html

Let us know

!