need help deleting folders

Unknow folders and subfolders, not created by user, with wierd names and
characters have appeared on my OS. I cannot delete or modify them and inspite
the fact that I have admin rights, i have access denied. It could be a virus?
I wish to get to get rid of it for good. One folder is called 3.83 \. %d .con
2.36 \ ;[[Scan By kiSiel]];

Can anyone please help? How can I remove it without the need to format the
drive?

thanks

Ted
3.83 \. %d .con 2.36 \ ;[[Scan By kiSiel]];
8 answers Last reply
More about need deleting folders

    Also make sure you disable anonymous ftp access to this machine or I have a
    feeling those directories will mysteriously reappear.

    "=?Utf-8?B?VGVkIFdpbHNvbg==?=" <TedWilson@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in news:F0AD1001-1088-4F0D-B96E-CA46F63FA9E5@microsoft.com:

    > Unknow folders and subfolders, not created by user, with wierd
    > names and characters have appeared on my OS. I cannot delete or
    > modify them and inspite the fact that I have admin rights, i have
    > access denied. It could be a virus? I wish to get to get rid of it
    > for good. One folder is called 3.83 \. %d .con 2.36 \ ;[[Scan By
    > kiSiel]];
    >
    > Can anyone please help? How can I remove it without the need to
    > format the drive?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Ted
    > 3.83 \. %d .con 2.36 \ ;[[Scan By kiSiel]];

    Not good. It appears some of your directories have been
    overwritten. Backup what you can then run a disk check, checking
    all options (Double-click "My Computer", right-click on "C" drive,
    select "Properties", click on "Tools" tab, click the "check now"
    button). You may have to reboot before the check begins.

    Good Luck,
    John

    Why are these directories created? When I try to delete the folders I get the
    message " Cannot delete file:cannot read from source file or disk" Is it
    created by any malicious user or virus?

    thanks

    Ted

    "Will Alexander" wrote:

    > Also make sure you disable anonymous ftp access to this machine or I have a
    > feeling those directories will mysteriously reappear.

    Tried John's suggestion, rebooted and drive was checked. The folders are
    still there and undeletable, what can I do?

    thanks

    Ted

    ..
    "John Wunderlich" wrote:

    > "=?Utf-8?B?VGVkIFdpbHNvbg==?=" <TedWilson@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in news:F0AD1001-1088-4F0D-B96E-CA46F63FA9E5@microsoft.com:
    >
    > > Unknow folders and subfolders, not created by user, with wierd
    > > names and characters have appeared on my OS. I cannot delete or
    > > modify them and inspite the fact that I have admin rights, i have
    > > access denied. It could be a virus? I wish to get to get rid of it
    > > for good. One folder is called 3.83 \. %d .con 2.36 \ ;[[Scan By
    > > kiSiel]];
    > >
    > > Can anyone please help? How can I remove it without the need to
    > > format the drive?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > Ted
    > > 3.83 \. %d .con 2.36 \ ;[[Scan By kiSiel]];
    > >

    > Not good. It appears some of your directories have been
    > overwritten. Backup what you can then run a disk check, checking
    > all options (Double-click "My Computer", right-click on "C" drive,
    > select "Properties", click on "Tools" tab, click the "check now"
    > button). You may have to reboot before the check begins.
    >
    > Good Luck,
    > John

    Hi Ted,
    Look here,
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=+%22Scan+By+kiSiel%22&btnG=Search

    lots of responses for "Scan By kiSiel"

    I would make sure your antivirus is up to date along with windows
    updates. I agree with both previous posters, Back UP your data!, and
    SECURE your workstation. You may also need to scan for spyware with
    Ad-aware or spy bot Search & destroy.

    Worry about how to fix this first the we can work on why they are there
    in the first place.

    Ted Wilson wrote:
    > Why are these directories created? When I try to delete the folders I get the
    > message " Cannot delete file:cannot read from source file or disk" Is it
    > created by any malicious user or virus?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Ted
    >

    > "Will Alexander" wrote:
    >

    >>Also make sure you disable anonymous ftp access to this machine or I have a
    >>feeling those directories will mysteriously reappear.

    Tried evrything everyone suggested, latest tried to delete folder in Safe
    Mode and failed. Need help please!!!!

    Ted

    "Dave" wrote:

    > Hi Ted,
    > Look here,
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=+%22Scan+By+kiSiel%22&btnG=Search
    >
    > lots of responses for "Scan By kiSiel"
    >
    > I would make sure your antivirus is up to date along with windows
    > updates. I agree with both previous posters, Back UP your data!, and
    > SECURE your workstation. You may also need to scan for spyware with
    > Ad-aware or spy bot Search & destroy.
    >
    > Worry about how to fix this first the we can work on why they are there
    > in the first place.
    >

    > Ted Wilson wrote:
    > > Why are these directories created? When I try to delete the folders I get the
    > > message " Cannot delete file:cannot read from source file or disk" Is it
    > > created by any malicious user or virus?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > Ted
    > >

    > > "Will Alexander" wrote:
    > >

    > >>Also make sure you disable anonymous ftp access to this machine or I have a
    > >>feeling those directories will mysteriously reappear.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hi ted,
    Try booting into Safe Mode using F8 and open a comand prompt and us the
    Del commaned. I think this is a work around for deleteing hard to delete
    files and folders.
    Dave

    Ted Wilson wrote:
    > Tried John's suggestion, rebooted and drive was checked. The folders are
    > still there and undeletable, what can I do?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Ted
    >

    > ..
    > "John Wunderlich" wrote:
    >

    >>"=?Utf-8?B?VGVkIFdpbHNvbg==?=" <TedWilson@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >>wrote in news:F0AD1001-1088-4F0D-B96E-CA46F63FA9E5@microsoft.com:
    >>

    >>>Unknow folders and subfolders, not created by user, with wierd
    >>>names and characters have appeared on my OS. I cannot delete or
    >>>modify them and inspite the fact that I have admin rights, i have
    >>>access denied. It could be a virus? I wish to get to get rid of it
    >>>for good. One folder is called 3.83 \. %d .con 2.36 \ ;[[Scan By
    >>>kiSiel]];
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone please help? How can I remove it without the need to
    >>>format the drive?
    >>>
    >>>thanks
    >>>
    >>>Ted
    >>>3.83 \. %d .con 2.36 \ ;[[Scan By kiSiel]];
    >>>

    >>Not good. It appears some of your directories have been
    >>overwritten. Backup what you can then run a disk check, checking
    >>all options (Double-click "My Computer", right-click on "C" drive,
    >>select "Properties", click on "Tools" tab, click the "check now"
    >>button). You may have to reboot before the check begins.
    >>
    >>Good Luck,
    >> John

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Use process Explorer;
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
    to see what is using this file.

    Also please confirm the following;

    1. You are logged on as administrator correct.
    2. your OS patches are up to date.
    3. your Antivirus is up to date.

    I Also just found this, I have not ever used it but it's worth a try
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Unlocker_d4660.html

    Let us know

    Ted Wilson wrote:

    > Tried evrything everyone suggested, latest tried to delete folder in Safe
    > Mode and failed. Need help please!!!!
    >
    > Ted
    >

    > "Dave" wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Ted,
    >>Look here,
    >>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=+%22Scan+By+kiSiel%22&btnG=Search
    >>
    >>lots of responses for "Scan By kiSiel"
    >>
    >>I would make sure your antivirus is up to date along with windows
    >>updates. I agree with both previous posters, Back UP your data!, and
    >>SECURE your workstation. You may also need to scan for spyware with
    >>Ad-aware or spy bot Search & destroy.
    >>
    >>Worry about how to fix this first the we can work on why they are there
    >>in the first place.
    >>

    >>Ted Wilson wrote:
    >>
    >>>Why are these directories created? When I try to delete the folders I get the
    >>>message " Cannot delete file:cannot read from source file or disk" Is it
    >>>created by any malicious user or virus?
    >>>
    >>>thanks
    >>>
    >>>Ted

Microsoft Windows