Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ordered VOOM today!

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 12:46:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Alright, I'm psyched. Got the $40 package + HBO. I've read in other
places about certain channels not being on there (my main like was
Foxnews) but the Voom Channel Lineup is now published

http://www.voom.com/use_it/program_guide.html

Everything I ever want, that's for sure, plus now I'll get HBO comedy.

The service guy was helpful, seemed to know about their product, and
even checked for me what the final price would be AFTER all those
taxes and surcharges. Came to $67.59 for the $40 level + HBO.
That's with leasing the box for $9 a month.

ANOTHER bonus was that the installation guy can come out on a Saturday
afternoon. EXCELLENT!

More about : ordered voom today

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 10:36:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Correct me if I am wrong....( I admit,sometimes I am) but is not the
satellite that downlinks VOOM located at 61.5° west longitude? Now if
I am on the west coast, just how am I supposed to get a signal if the
bird is located BELOW the tree line? I recently saw an ad for VOOM on
Fox Sports West (the LA Lakers flagship regional net) to get the
service.Now,I realize that there are a FEW people on the west coast that
might live on a high overlook or hill or in a mountain range that could
lock onto a signal,but I would hazard a guess that the majority of us on
the west side of the country are going to have a lot of trouble
receiving it.
Why did not CableVision management realize this or better yet why are
they being so cheap and not launch a sat for us over here.......Even
lowly XM Radio had the common sense to launch 2 birds to serve the whole
CONUS arc.Oh,well..........no 39 HD channels for me I guess.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 11:13:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

In article <9039-408721AD-31@storefull-3255.bay.webtv.net>, SAC441
@webtv.net says...
> Why did not CableVision management realize this or better yet why are
> they being so cheap and not launch a sat for us over here.......Even
> lowly XM Radio had the common sense to launch 2 birds to serve the whole
> CONUS arc.Oh,well..........no 39 HD channels for me I guess.

For the simple reason that *ALL* the currently avalable DBS satellite
slots (ie, places in the sky)that have CONUS coverage have already
been assigned and are in use. The only available slots are so far
west that they are above the horizon only for a small strip of the
west coast. The many millions of dollars it costs to buy and launch
a DBS satellite pale in comparison to how much it would cost to
purchase an slot from an existing owner.

Some venture capitalists are trying to get the FCC to authorize
additional slots (eg, 4.5 degree spacing instead of the current 9
degrees), but the reality is that doing so would most likely cause
interference problems for millions of existing DBS customers.

/Chris
Related resources
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 11:51:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Just a hypothetical query here: As far as I can tell is not the VOOM
service operating in the K or Ku-Band of operational frequencies? If
such be the case,as far as I can tell the Americom 8 satellite is a
C-Band only satellite.I am not 100% sure about that though.I am only
surmising this because a Ku-Band icon was not loaded into my 4DTV 920
map along with the C-Band icon which IS (and they usually load the icons
in pairs when hybrid birds are present).In any event,could not a western
satellite of the VOOM service be co-located at 139° west where
Americom 8 is? This could serve the west coast AND being it is in a
different sat spectrum would not cause any interference to the C-Band
bird because of its lower frequencies.....or is my reasoning here faulty
for a reason I am unaware of?
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 1:01:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

In article <14789-4087332D-170@storefull-3257.bay.webtv.net>, SAC441
@webtv.net says...
> Just a hypothetical query here: As far as I can tell is not the VOOM
> service operating in the K or Ku-Band of operational frequencies? If
> such be the case,as far as I can tell the Americom 8 satellite is a
> C-Band only satellite.I am not 100% sure about that though.I am only
> surmising this because a Ku-Band icon was not loaded into my 4DTV 920
> map along with the C-Band icon which IS (and they usually load the icons
> in pairs when hybrid birds are present).In any event,could not a western
> satellite of the VOOM service be co-located at 139=B0 west where
> Americom 8 is? This could serve the west coast AND being it is in a
> different sat spectrum would not cause any interference to the C-Band
> bird because of its lower frequencies.....or is my reasoning here faulty
> for a reason I am unaware of?

See http://www.dbsforums.com/compare/chart.html
139 is not eligible for a DBS licence. There are several issues.
The USA does not own the sky. Slots are also allocated to Canada,
Mexico, and Central and South America. Also, in order to allow DBS
to work with small (1/2 meter) dishes, the available slots are
separated by 9 degrees of arc. DBS is not the only user of K band
frequencies. In short, there are only 8 slots with any coverge of the
US for which one might obtain a DBS licence, and only 157, 166, and
175 have any available licences.

To give you an idea what slots are worth: nearly $700 million eight
years ago

"To realize the expected growth of the DBS market one only needs to
look at the January 1996 purchase by MCI of the last available DBS
orbital slot that covers the entire United States. MCI paid $682.5
million for a slot that most thought would go for around $300
million." http://www.tcomschool.ohiou.edu/its_pgs/dbs.html

/Chris
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 6:30:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

For lots of great VOOM information come here :

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/VOOM/

and

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=24



On 21 Apr 2004 08:46:06 -0700, larrybud2002@yahoo.com (Larry Bud)
wrote:

>Alright, I'm psyched. Got the $40 package + HBO. I've read in other
>places about certain channels not being on there (my main like was
>Foxnews) but the Voom Channel Lineup is now published
>
>http://www.voom.com/use_it/program_guide.html
>
>Everything I ever want, that's for sure, plus now I'll get HBO comedy.
>
>The service guy was helpful, seemed to know about their product, and
>even checked for me what the final price would be AFTER all those
>taxes and surcharges. Came to $67.59 for the $40 level + HBO.
>That's with leasing the box for $9 a month.
>
>ANOTHER bonus was that the installation guy can come out on a Saturday
>afternoon. EXCELLENT!
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 11:17:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Chris Thomas <cthomas@mminternet.com> wrote in
news:MPG.1af0e35ac6cde29a989820@news.mminternet.com:

> In article <14789-4087332D-170@storefull-3257.bay.webtv.net>, SAC441
> @webtv.net says...
>> Just a hypothetical query here: As far as I can tell is not the VOOM
>> service operating in the K or Ku-Band of operational frequencies? If
>> such be the case,as far as I can tell the Americom 8 satellite is a
>> C-Band only satellite.I am not 100% sure about that though.I am only
>> surmising this because a Ku-Band icon was not loaded into my 4DTV 920
>> map along with the C-Band icon which IS (and they usually load the
icons
>> in pairs when hybrid birds are present).In any event,could not a
western
>> satellite of the VOOM service be co-located at 139=B0 west where
>> Americom 8 is? This could serve the west coast AND being it is in a
>> different sat spectrum would not cause any interference to the C-Band
>> bird because of its lower frequencies.....or is my reasoning here
faulty
>> for a reason I am unaware of?
>
> See http://www.dbsforums.com/compare/chart.html
> 139 is not eligible for a DBS licence. There are several issues.
> The USA does not own the sky. Slots are also allocated to Canada,
> Mexico, and Central and South America. Also, in order to allow DBS
> to work with small (1/2 meter) dishes, the available slots are
> separated by 9 degrees of arc. DBS is not the only user of K band
> frequencies. In short, there are only 8 slots with any coverge of the
> US for which one might obtain a DBS licence, and only 157, 166, and
> 175 have any available licences.
>
> To give you an idea what slots are worth: nearly $700 million eight
> years ago
>
> "To realize the expected growth of the DBS market one only needs to
> look at the January 1996 purchase by MCI of the last available DBS
> orbital slot that covers the entire United States. MCI paid $682.5
> million for a slot that most thought would go for around $300
> million." http://www.tcomschool.ohiou.edu/its_pgs/dbs.html

The real answer here is probably to open another band up (Ka?), which
means new LNB's at the very least. That's a lot of retooling. I notice
that my DSR500 can receive pretty much all of the current Ku band, but,
at least in the Anik E2R spot, a lot of those frequencies are in use by
Direct TV and Dish Network, so no expansion would be possible.


--
Dave Oldridge
ICQ 1800667

Paradoxically, most real events are highly improbable.
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 4:04:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:5db363e0.0404210746.144aaf8e@posting.google.com...
> Alright, I'm psyched. Got the $40 package + HBO. I've read in other
> places about certain channels not being on there (my main like was
> Foxnews) but the Voom Channel Lineup is now published

FNC is on 412 and new in the line up. Now if we could get ESPN and NFL
Sunday Ticket.... I'd dump DirecTV.

Deborah Proctor
maraskywalker@earthlink.net
April 26, 2004 1:01:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

In article <Iaiic.9426$e4.4768@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Deborah Proctor" <maraskywalker@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:5db363e0.0404210746.144aaf8e@posting.google.com...
> > Alright, I'm psyched. Got the $40 package + HBO. I've read in other
> > places about certain channels not being on there (my main like was
> > Foxnews) but the Voom Channel Lineup is now published
>
> FNC is on 412 and new in the line up. Now if we could get ESPN and NFL
> Sunday Ticket.... I'd dump DirecTV.
>

DTV will overpay to keep Sunday Ticket exclusive.

Now that Murdoch owns DTV and Fox, he's going to make sure Sunday Ticket
is exclusive on DTV.

I believe he does the same thing with English Premier League soccer on
the Sky satellite service.
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 2:43:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
news:p oldy-5FFCA1.14010325042004@netnews.comcast.net...
> In article <Iaiic.9426$e4.4768@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> "Deborah Proctor" <maraskywalker@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > "Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:5db363e0.0404210746.144aaf8e@posting.google.com...
> > > Alright, I'm psyched. Got the $40 package + HBO. I've read in other
> > > places about certain channels not being on there (my main like was
> > > Foxnews) but the Voom Channel Lineup is now published
> >
> > FNC is on 412 and new in the line up. Now if we could get ESPN and NFL
> > Sunday Ticket.... I'd dump DirecTV.
> >
>
> DTV will overpay to keep Sunday Ticket exclusive.
>
> Now that Murdoch owns DTV and Fox, he's going to make sure Sunday Ticket
> is exclusive on DTV.
>
> I believe he does the same thing with English Premier League soccer on
> the Sky satellite service.

Shame... The NFL could make more money if they expanded delivery methods...

Deborah Proctor
maraskywalker@earthlink.net
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 2:43:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Deborah Proctor writes:
----"Shame... The NFL could make more money if they expanded delivery
methods."----

Reply:

That is totally unproven....considering Charlie Ergen's track record
negotiating retransmission agreements with programming distributors and
his tight-fisted nature with respect to such (most recently with
Viacom),it is highly unlikely he would be unwilling to spend the revenue
required.In any event,why would the NFL? They already pretty much named
their price for exclusivity and it was met.Diluting the package with
respect to multiple source outlets COULD (not necessarily WOULD) result
in less revenue per distributor with the net agreggate being less with
respect to one sole exclusive provider.
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 12:35:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Voom is a disaster, You will be sorry in 3 months


"Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:5db363e0.0404210746.144aaf8e@posting.google.com...
> Alright, I'm psyched. Got the $40 package + HBO. I've read in other
> places about certain channels not being on there (my main like was
> Foxnews) but the Voom Channel Lineup is now published
>
> http://www.voom.com/use_it/program_guide.html
>
> Everything I ever want, that's for sure, plus now I'll get HBO comedy.
>
> The service guy was helpful, seemed to know about their product, and
> even checked for me what the final price would be AFTER all those
> taxes and surcharges. Came to $67.59 for the $40 level + HBO.
> That's with leasing the box for $9 a month.
>
> ANOTHER bonus was that the installation guy can come out on a Saturday
> afternoon. EXCELLENT!
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 6:58:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

um voom has like what 5000 subscribers for a billion dollar industry start up
ya it aint getting sold to directv-
End higher ticket prices! Go to local college games!
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 5:48:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

> ANOTHER bonus was that the installation guy can come out on a Saturday
> afternoon. EXCELLENT!

Or so I thought. Well, Voom sure started with a great way to gain
customer loyalty: Completely screw up the installation date...

4pm here came, so I decided to call Voom install line to make sure
someone was coming out. The installer was supposed to be here between
12-5. Well, the Voom guy tells me the installer decided I just lived
too far for him, and declined the install order THE DAY OF INSTALL!
This is AFTER verifying everything with me last week.

I asked the Voom rep when was somebody going to tell ME this happened.
I really got no answer from him, except that the work order had been
sent to another installer, and they'd probably be out Monday.
Probably? Monday? I told the guy I work for a living, I can't just
take days off here and there willy nilly. Unbelievable. So he gives
me the new installer's phone number.

I call them, and the woman tells me that they don't have the new work
order. I tell her "let's get a conference call with Voom right now".
"I don't have Voom's number" she says. "Oh, I Do". She ended up
putting me on hold while they worked something out.

Short of it, they are SUPPOSED to come out tomorrow and I'll give the
new installer the benefit of the doubt, especially with only 1 day's
notice. It's not their fault.

It just amazes me how bad customer service is on all these type
companies. I've had problems with Comcast (when I lived in an
apartment, they accidentally disconnected the physical connection to
my unit *3 times* in about a year, thinking they were disconnecting
someone else), T-Mobile and Verizon (a screwup with a number
transfer), and now Voom. Something as simple as showing up on time
for an appointment. I don't ask for much, especially at $70 a
month.
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 6:47:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:5db363e0.0405011248.6593632d@posting.google.com...
>> ANOTHER bonus was that the installation guy can come out on a Saturday
>> afternoon. EXCELLENT!
>
> Or so I thought. Well, Voom sure started with a great way to gain
> customer loyalty: Completely screw up the installation date...
>
> 4pm here came, so I decided to call Voom install line to make sure
> someone was coming out. The installer was supposed to be here between
> 12-5. Well, the Voom guy tells me the installer decided I just lived
> too far for him, and declined the install order THE DAY OF INSTALL!
> This is AFTER verifying everything with me last week.
>
> I asked the Voom rep when was somebody going to tell ME this happened.
> I really got no answer from him, except that the work order had been
> sent to another installer, and they'd probably be out Monday.
> Probably? Monday? I told the guy I work for a living, I can't just
> take days off here and there willy nilly. Unbelievable. So he gives
> me the new installer's phone number.
>
> I call them, and the woman tells me that they don't have the new work
> order. I tell her "let's get a conference call with Voom right now".
> "I don't have Voom's number" she says. "Oh, I Do". She ended up
> putting me on hold while they worked something out.
>
> Short of it, they are SUPPOSED to come out tomorrow and I'll give the
> new installer the benefit of the doubt, especially with only 1 day's
> notice. It's not their fault.
>
> It just amazes me how bad customer service is on all these type
> companies. I've had problems with Comcast (when I lived in an
> apartment, they accidentally disconnected the physical connection to
> my unit *3 times* in about a year, thinking they were disconnecting
> someone else), T-Mobile and Verizon (a screwup with a number
> transfer), and now Voom. Something as simple as showing up on time
> for an appointment. I don't ask for much, especially at $70 a
> month.


You should try to use the situation to your advantage and get some sort of
accommodation for your inconvenience like a free month or two of service or
a years' worth of HBO!
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 2:39:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:5db363e0.0405011248.6593632d@posting.google.com...
>
> It just amazes me how bad customer service is on all these type
> companies. I've had problems with Comcast (when I lived in an
> apartment, they accidentally disconnected the physical connection to
> my unit *3 times* in about a year, thinking they were disconnecting
> someone else), T-Mobile and Verizon (a screwup with a number
> transfer), and now Voom. Something as simple as showing up on time
> for an appointment. I don't ask for much, especially at $70 a
> month.

This surprises you? This is the case with ALL large companies in America
these days. They are all the same, and they all provide dismal customer
service.
!