Microsoft vs. Linux

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
September 1, 2005 4:49:42 PM

Looking for any resources comparing and/or discussing the two operating
systems advantages and disadvantages for a small, medium or large
organization. Thx.

More about : microsoft linux

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 8:19:01 PM

Please don't take this the wrong way but don't you think its time you learned
to internet search?
September 1, 2005 9:40:39 PM

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I was just introduced to
"newsgroup" world while take an intro computer class. Thought I could
get some assistance. Thanks for your input .... and understanding.
Related resources
September 1, 2005 9:45:13 PM

Thanks for your reply - appreciate it. Not an organization- just doing
some research for a paper.

George Hester wrote:
> Why, are you a smal medium or large organization? Small meaning just you
> there are more applications on the market for Windows than there is for
> Linux. For a medium organization same thing. For a large organization well
> don't expect any support from Redhat so if you can hire all the support you
> might need go for it.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _________________________________
> "Kim" <utterk@upstate.edu> wrote in message
> > Looking for any resources comparing and/or discussing the two operating
> > systems advantages and disadvantages for a small, medium or large
> > organization. Thx.

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 11:34:09 PM

Why, are you a smal medium or large organization? Small meaning just you
there are more applications on the market for Windows than there is for
Linux. For a medium organization same thing. For a large organization well
don't expect any support from Redhat so if you can hire all the support you
might need go for it.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Kim" <utterk@upstate.edu> wrote in message
> Looking for any resources comparing and/or discussing the two operating
> systems advantages and disadvantages for a small, medium or large
> organization. Thx.

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 1:14:13 AM

Why wouldn't Redhat support large organizations? Isn't that their target
market nowadays? And besides Redhat is not a free distro anymore, so when
you purchase it you're bound to get support for at least a set period of
time and then there would be paid support, just as MS offers.

And Kim, what you're asking covers a HUGE spectrum and is very difficult to
find unbiased information. Are you looking at the client side (desktop) or
server? What is the organization(s) trying to accomplish? I really don't
think the size of the organization would have a whole lot of bearing on
either's advantages/disadvantages. Both OSes have their strengths and
weaknesses.

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why, are you a smal medium or large organization? Small meaning just you
> there are more applications on the market for Windows than there is for
> Linux. For a medium organization same thing. For a large organization
well
> don't expect any support from Redhat so if you can hire all the support
you
> might need go for it.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _________________________________
> "Kim" <utterk@upstate.edu> wrote in message
> > Looking for any resources comparing and/or discussing the two operating
> > systems advantages and disadvantages for a small, medium or large
> > organization. Thx.

September 2, 2005 2:15:06 AM

In news:1125604182.778967.269690@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
Kim <utterk@upstate.edu> had this to say:

> Looking for any resources comparing and/or discussing the two
> operating systems advantages and disadvantages for a small, medium or
> large organization. Thx.

Take a gander here:

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1553620,...

Then here:

http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/Linux.vs.Windows.html

Both are light reading and enough to get you started on your paper. Best of
luck. (We generally don't do homework though I'm not opposed to giving a bit
of a start. <g>) Really, good luck and try to be objective.

My opinions? In a small business run by technically capable people who are
able to make do with OpenSource content or adapt their needs to what is in
place already (or even able to customize) then Linux is a viable option. At
the point the TCO for Windows vs. Linux still puts Windows in the lead and
more so when you count man-hours, education, support, and now potential
legal liabilities with the whole SCO thing. The lack of a true universal
office solution other than, say, OpenOffice makes interaction with Microsoft
based shops a bit problematic for instance. I think that sometime in the not
too distant future there's going to be more and more blended environments
and a lot of shops are sticking with Unix (which isn't to be mistaken for
Linux) and seem to be quite happy with it. If for no other reason than
interaction with the business world in general and the familiarity of the OS
I'd recommend Windows.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 3:59:35 PM

Kim wrote:
> Looking for any resources comparing and/or discussing the two
> operating systems advantages and disadvantages for a small, medium or
> large organization. Thx.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/01/ibm_windowsvlin...

Andrew
!