Microsoft vs. Linux

Looking for any resources comparing and/or discussing the two operating
systems advantages and disadvantages for a small, medium or large
organization. Thx.
7 answers Last reply
More about microsoft linux

    Please don't take this the wrong way but don't you think its time you learned
    to internet search?

    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I was just introduced to
    "newsgroup" world while take an intro computer class. Thought I could
    get some assistance. Thanks for your input .... and understanding.

    Thanks for your reply - appreciate it. Not an organization- just doing
    some research for a paper.

    George Hester wrote:
    > Why, are you a smal medium or large organization? Small meaning just you
    > there are more applications on the market for Windows than there is for
    > Linux. For a medium organization same thing. For a large organization well
    > don't expect any support from Redhat so if you can hire all the support you
    > might need go for it.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _________________________________
    > "Kim" <utterk@upstate.edu> wrote in message
    > > Looking for any resources comparing and/or discussing the two operating
    > > systems advantages and disadvantages for a small, medium or large
    > > organization. Thx.

    Why, are you a smal medium or large organization? Small meaning just you
    there are more applications on the market for Windows than there is for
    Linux. For a medium organization same thing. For a large organization well
    don't expect any support from Redhat so if you can hire all the support you
    might need go for it.

    --
    George Hester
    _________________________________
    "Kim" <utterk@upstate.edu> wrote in message
    > Looking for any resources comparing and/or discussing the two operating
    > systems advantages and disadvantages for a small, medium or large
    > organization. Thx.

    Why wouldn't Redhat support large organizations? Isn't that their target
    market nowadays? And besides Redhat is not a free distro anymore, so when
    you purchase it you're bound to get support for at least a set period of
    time and then there would be paid support, just as MS offers.

    And Kim, what you're asking covers a HUGE spectrum and is very difficult to
    find unbiased information. Are you looking at the client side (desktop) or
    server? What is the organization(s) trying to accomplish? I really don't
    think the size of the organization would have a whole lot of bearing on
    either's advantages/disadvantages. Both OSes have their strengths and
    weaknesses.

    In news:1125604182.778967.269690@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
    Kim <utterk@upstate.edu> had this to say:

    > Looking for any resources comparing and/or discussing the two
    > operating systems advantages and disadvantages for a small, medium or
    > large organization. Thx.

    Take a gander here:

    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1553620,00.asp

    Then here:

    http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/Linux.vs.Windows.html

    Both are light reading and enough to get you started on your paper. Best of
    luck. (We generally don't do homework though I'm not opposed to giving a bit
    of a start. <g>) Really, good luck and try to be objective.

    My opinions? In a small business run by technically capable people who are
    able to make do with OpenSource content or adapt their needs to what is in
    place already (or even able to customize) then Linux is a viable option. At
    the point the TCO for Windows vs. Linux still puts Windows in the lead and
    more so when you count man-hours, education, support, and now potential
    legal liabilities with the whole SCO thing. The lack of a true universal
    office solution other than, say, OpenOffice makes interaction with Microsoft
    based shops a bit problematic for instance. I think that sometime in the not
    too distant future there's going to be more and more blended environments
    and a lot of shops are sticking with Unix (which isn't to be mistaken for
    Linux) and seem to be quite happy with it. If for no other reason than
    interaction with the business world in general and the familiarity of the OS
    I'd recommend Windows.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Kim wrote:
    > Looking for any resources comparing and/or discussing the two
    > operating systems advantages and disadvantages for a small, medium or
    > large organization. Thx.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/01/ibm_windowsvlinux/

    Andrew

Linux Systems Microsoft Windows