Microsoft Search Service unable to start due to missing ms..

Hi,
i had a w2k server sp4 running exchange 2k. In my system log, i had lost of
errors stating the microsoft search is unable to start as the system is
unable to find the file specified. Upon checking, i found that the
mssearch.exe is missing from the "C:\Program Files\Common
Files\System\MSSearch\Bin\". Will there be any complication if i copy in a
new mssearch.exe file in this directory?

Please read the following post & Reply. I was having the same problems.
The Rev wrote:

> I'm having problems starting my default web.
> It shows up as stoped, and won't start.
> Win 2K spk4 Exchange 2000 Sp3
> thank you for your help.
Hi,

You haven't by any chance PowerChute 6.x UPS software (APC) installed
on the computer?

If so, upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it and see if that helps.

PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
here:

CRITICAL UPDATE REQUIRED PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using
6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

Microsoft have published a knowledge base article for this issue as well:

System with APC Powerchute 6.x UPS Software gives strange symptoms
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555386/

This is how you can disable the PowerChute service if you are unable to
uninstall it:

Start Regedit.exe

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)

Reboot the computer.

"Qns" wrote:

> Hi,
> i had a w2k server sp4 running exchange 2k. In my system log, i had lost of
> errors stating the microsoft search is unable to start as the system is
> unable to find the file specified. Upon checking, i found that the
> mssearch.exe is missing from the "C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\System\MSSearch\Bin\". Will there be any complication if i copy in a
> new mssearch.exe file in this directory?

Thanks alot. Nope. The powerchute is already the latest version. So any idea
can i just copy in a new mssearch.exe and kick start the service?

"The Rev" wrote:

> Please read the following post & Reply. I was having the same problems.
> The Rev wrote:
>
> > I'm having problems starting my default web.
> > It shows up as stoped, and won't start.
> > Win 2K spk4 Exchange 2000 Sp3
> > thank you for your help.
> Hi,
>
> You haven't by any chance PowerChute 6.x UPS software (APC) installed
> on the computer?
>
> If so, upgrade it to v7 or uninstall it and see if that helps.
>

> PowerChute 6.x cases a lot of issues, much more than what is described
> here:
>
> CRITICAL UPDATE REQUIRED PowerChute Business Edition - Customers Using
> 6.x Must Upgrade to 7.x due to Java Runtime Environment expiration
> http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202
>
> Microsoft have published a knowledge base article for this issue as well:
>
> System with APC Powerchute 6.x UPS Software gives strange symptoms
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555386/
>

> This is how you can disable the PowerChute service if you are unable to
> uninstall it:
>
> Start Regedit.exe
>
> Locate the key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
> Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)
>
> Locate the key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
> Set the "Start" value to 4 (means disabled)
>
> Reboot the computer.
>

> "Qns" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > i had a w2k server sp4 running exchange 2k. In my system log, i had lost of
> > errors stating the microsoft search is unable to start as the system is
> > unable to find the file specified. Upon checking, i found that the
> > mssearch.exe is missing from the "C:\Program Files\Common
> > Files\System\MSSearch\Bin\". Will there be any complication if i copy in a
> > new mssearch.exe file in this directory?

When you do it, please do it from safe mode.