Sign in with
Your question

This $400 is burning a hole in my pocket, help me spend it

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2007 12:57:37 PM

Ok PC hardware enthusiasts out there I need your help spending some money. What would you put up to $400 dollars on if you had this rig and wanted a new upgrade.

system specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66 GHz 4MB L2 Cache - OC'D to 3.1 Ghz
MOTHER BOARD: eVGA 122-CK-NF68 Socket 775 nVidia nForce 680i SLi
RAM SLOT A1:A2: OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum 2GB (2x1024MB)
RAM SLOT B1:B2: OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum 1GB (2x512MB)
VIDEO CARD 1: eVGA GeForce 7900GTX
VIDEO CARD 2: (empty)
SOUND CARD: (on-board audio)
HDD 1 RAID 0: Western Digital Caviar 250GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache
HDD 2 RAID 0: Western Digital Caviar 250GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache
HDD 3: Western Digital Caviar 160G SATAII 7200RPM 8M
OPTICAL DRIVE 1: Benq DW1655 LightScribe Black DVD Burner
OPTICAL DRIVE 2: NEC AD-7170A 18X DVDRW Color Black
PSU: Xion PowerReal 600 watt v2.01
CASE: Thermaltake Soprano VB1000BWS Mid-Tower (Black)
COOLING SOLUTION: (stock cooling)

So now that you know my rig what would you upgrade if it was yours and had only a $400 budget?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2007 1:15:52 PM

That's a pretty darn nice system as is, what kind of moniter do you have?
January 10, 2007 1:20:43 PM

I would do one of the following:

1) Get an 8800 Nvidia card

2) Get a PCI sound card, upgrade the PSU, upgrade cooling

3) Go out and buy a couple of bottles of expensive wine, some Prime cut filets, mushrooms, and some asparagus and have a great dinner.

4) Save the cash for a ticket to see the Saints in the Super Bowl.
Related resources
January 10, 2007 1:35:36 PM

Thanks for the reply,

My monitor is a ViewSonic VA902b 19" LCD (Black) 8ms 550:1 270cd/m2
I thinking about getting a good CRT monitor with at least but I'm not sure if its worth it.
January 10, 2007 1:50:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply,

My monitor is a ViewSonic VA902b 19" LCD (Black) 8ms 550:1 270cd/m2
I thinking about getting a good CRT monitor with at least but I'm not sure if its worth it.

That's a pucker rig. May I suggest applying that money to a different part of your life? You're covered here.

If you're set on upgrading, personally, I would do one of the following:

1. 22" LCD and now (or save for a 24")

2. Creative X-Fi soundcard and Logitech Z-5500 speakers

3. Buy google stock and hope it splits with the knowledge that, regardless, it'd still be a solid investment.

Your video card is fine for your current needs. After you upgrade the monitor, however, you'll probably be wanting something faster within the year. Perhaps wait and upgrade the video card next xmas, or whenever you get some more money?
January 10, 2007 2:13:20 PM

I'd spend 30 - 50 bucks on a good aftermarket cooler, some more on a nice UPS, (that's a nice system, might as well take care of it), and the rest on GAMES!
January 10, 2007 2:17:09 PM

Options:

1) buy a 22" LCD and have 2 monitors. Once you've had 2, you'll never go back to 1 monitor. The 22" will match up exactly height-wise to the 19" so no worries about monitors of different heights

2) sell the 7900GTX, put that money with the $400; and get an 8800GTS, better PSU, and aftermarket CPU heatsink

3) say your system rocks, use the money to go on a trip instead, write in your diary about a place in the world you've just seen, some interested woman will see that you're a sensitive kind of guy cuz you write in a journal (man word for "diary"), she'll find that intruiging and attractive, give you her phone number, you tell her you're on trip to experience a new part of the world you've never seen, she'll be totally smitten, and then you show her new things she's never experienced before ;) 

I like Option 3. But then again, if you have such a good computer system that you never leave the house and wouldn't know how to talk to a girl, then accept defeat and go with Option 1 or 2.

Or be a man, live a little, throw caution to the wind, listen to "Eye of the Tiger", make a life-expanding decision, and go with Option 3 ;) 
January 10, 2007 2:22:07 PM

LOL - wouldn't it be easier just to use the $400 bucks for a hooker?
January 10, 2007 2:25:37 PM

i'd say, wait for I-ram 2. If you can't, get a widescreen monitor. :) 
January 10, 2007 2:26:25 PM

Get a bigger monitor or

Upgrade graphics card if you're mainly concerned about games coming out this year or

Get soundcard, new PSU(750w+) Possibly sell 2x512mb sticks and get 2x2gb instead or

Get a Nintendo Wii, couple games, extra controller. Fun for whole family if you have family and is a break from the PC, if you're into consoles.

Really nice new leather jacket and some shades.

New set of tires?

lol
January 10, 2007 2:28:45 PM

Quote:

One problem they play the Eagles this week!
January 10, 2007 2:41:53 PM

Quote:
LOL - wouldn't it be easier just to use the $400 bucks for a hooker?

Funny you mention that, the thought had crossed my mind too. I've been told from many different sources that a 1000$ hooker in the States is about 50 to 100$ in Eastern Europe. I am unable to speak from experience, however. Haha.
January 10, 2007 2:51:33 PM

Roth IRA's are always a good option ;) 

I have a similar setup (generally speaking), the next trigger I am pulling is either a 24" LCD or a DX10 card probablya round March (I have the money but I really would like to see what ATI is going to do, and I have the feeling monitor prices may start getting depressed due to the 27" monitors coming out as well as increased competition in teh 24" arena).

I think if you had a strong feeling something was lacking you would have mentioned it... the only possible boost would be an audio card, mostly if sound quality is lacking. If your case is loud you may want to replace the fans etc. I've found that dampening a loud case can make as big a difference as performance as far as enjoyability is concerned.
January 10, 2007 3:06:36 PM

Games, New Monitor, or sound card. Be stupid to get the 8800 at this point IMO, especially at your resolution.
January 10, 2007 3:08:11 PM

Nice Rig.
I'm in agreement with what others have said.
other than this $400, when is the next time you'll be able to upgrade something? next Christmas? This may be a factor to consider.

My top picks would be a sound card, 5.1 speakers, better CPU cooling & maybe a higher quality Power Supply.
You'd probably see the biggest difference in a 8800GTS, but your 7900 still has plenty life. My rule for video card upgrades is: it has to, at least, double my frame rates on whatever game I'm currently playing.
as someone else suggested if you sell the 7900 you could probably do most of the above.
Dual monitors would be nice, but not needed if your mostly into gaming. save this upgrade for next year after you get Vista... and when you do go dual monitor, get a second (cheap) video card for hardware acceleration on the second monitor.
January 10, 2007 3:20:41 PM

Get an 8800 to replace the 7900 and sell the 7900 on Ebay.

Then take whatever is left over and get off of the ON-board audio.

Or

Just get a 22" widescreen LCD and a sound card and be happy with the rest of what ya got!
January 10, 2007 3:36:58 PM

Quote:
Since you have $400 and do not know how you want to spend it you could always just buy me an Opteron 170 and a 7950gt :lol:  Anyway you could always get a 8800gts.

I was hoping that no one would beat me to that. :D  Sell your video card in the after R600 comes out and buy whatever gives you the best price/performance. Or you could invest and buy even more a little bit later down the road.
January 10, 2007 3:39:58 PM

is there a point to this topic?
January 10, 2007 3:50:18 PM

Again I have to aplaud you like everyone else: thats a nice rig! :D 

I also have to agree with a few posts:

1) Sell the 7900GTX on ebay you would prolly get a min of 250 out of it: that would set you at 650, then you can get a 8800GTX (pny is the cheapest at 550 from them directly) and then buy a Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Card. That would be hot shat for you!

2) You could get the Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Card and then get Vista Home Premium at the end of the month. or you can get the Fatal1ty X-Fi card

3) Get the Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi fatal1ty Card and grab up a Killer Nic Pretty soon you will be able to run vent or teamspeak on that

4) Acer has some killer monitors that are a little cheaper then the competition you can get the 22" for $300 off Tiger Direct and then get the X-Fi card

5) Sell the 2x512 RAM and the Video card and grab up 2X1024 and the 8800GTS and a new cooler

6) Get a set of Logitech 5500 (not the e the 5500 should be around >$300) and then get the X-Fi sound card and a fan

7) Vista in like 2 1/2 weeks and a set of 5500e logitech speakers and a new CPU fan

8) Get a personal fridge; a USB drink cooler; a comfy used chair; a trash can; and a kids training potty w/ an extra large recepticle then you never have to leave that beutiful comp. OH forgot the sani whipes but that might put you over your budget after the beer is in the fridge.

9)That 22" Acer monitor and a logitech G15 Keyboard is cool also

10) You can send me the $400 and Ill give more ideas! :lol: 
January 10, 2007 4:46:43 PM

Quote:
8) Get a personal fridge; a USB drink cooler; a comfy used chair; a trash can; and a kids training potty w/ an extra large recepticle then you never have to leave that beutiful comp. OH forgot the sani whipes but that might put you over your budget after the beer is in the fridge.

Ah, for the ultimate in lazy. You should also set aside a little cash for a membership on a Russian bride website. Once she arrives (hopefully on her dime), you can have a 20$ wedding, and then you'll have someone to cook, clean, and do the shopping for you. That way, you can enjoy your computer more.
January 10, 2007 6:09:21 PM

Go RAPTOR, or a nice LCD, I love my SCEPTRE naga III gamer, I think its $239 at tiger now, 21" widescreen
January 10, 2007 6:53:33 PM

i second the raptor. worth the money and you'll still have $$$ left over. raptor has half the access time of regular hdd.
January 10, 2007 9:01:42 PM

Quote:

If the Saints make it, great! Once in a life time chance to go to the Super Bowl. I'd take that over any PC part any day. Just think 20 years from now you can say:

"Yeah I bought a 8800 GTS, it was amazing, but it won't run Oblivon XXXI"

or

"I saw the saints win their first Super Bowl."
January 10, 2007 9:13:59 PM

Saints? (nah)

How about lets see San Diego?
How about Chicago?

How about my favorite team? Denver? "oh wait" :)  GGGrrrrrrr
How about Dallas? "oh wait they are on vacation too" :) 

How about New England? (they are an excellent Playoff team).

How about Indi? (nah just kidding, everyone knows Indi chokes in the playoffs and that Manning has sucked this year) :) 

Now let the flames begin :) 
January 10, 2007 9:48:14 PM

umm, seeing that you have on board sound, i'd definately buy a sound card.
a xi-fi series. man..that is a serious set up, but on board sound? commonnn
Anonymous
January 10, 2007 9:50:02 PM

GIVE IT TO MEEEEE !

I will find something to put it towards.

Plus I will mail you a charity receipt =)

LoL
January 10, 2007 10:25:31 PM

Quote:
Now let the flames begin :) 

I would love to flame you, but I don't know a thing about football. If you played it, then perhaps I'd flame you :wink:
January 10, 2007 11:45:44 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm not really a Saints fan. I'm a Cowboys diehard. But since they blew their chance and my wife's family is all from South Louisiana (Port Sulphur and Larose) and have been Saints forever, I've got to pull for them - especially after what they did here at Texas Stadium.

That having been said, I would still reccomend my #2 option listed at the top of the thread. 8800 is nice, Raptor is nice, but I think my option #2 is the best upgrade...
January 11, 2007 12:06:26 PM

You guys are awsome, thanks for the ideas and the laughs. Taking all your great ideas into mind... Hookers are tempting :evil:  ... but I love my wife. I think I will buy the X-Fi now, save a little more and get windows vista... maybe ultimate.

Thanks again for all your ideas.
January 11, 2007 3:20:08 PM

Vista.....

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Please don't spend all your hard earned money on Vista for atleast 6 months
I have the RTM of Ultimate "Release to Manufacture" and let me tell you it's terrible. Just my 0.02
January 11, 2007 7:00:02 PM

I'll send you my address, and you can mail me a certified cheque or money order in the amount of $400.00.

Failing that, if you have all this extra cash on hand, why don't you send it to a local charity, like, say, a food bank. While you are considering this option, you would be wise to contemplate your own arrogance and stupid insensitivity, and the ways you could reduce or eliminate same.

Hope this helps.
January 11, 2007 7:54:20 PM

Wizard:

I fail to understand why in most of your posts, you seem to enjoy insulting OPs for asking questions that this forum was designed for. I believe the OP asked for people's opinions on how to upgrade his current system - not on what would be the moral way to get rid of $400.

I believe you would be wise to contemplate YOUR OWN arrogance and stupid insensitivity.
January 11, 2007 7:55:14 PM

Wiz,

Perfectly stated "Liberal Drool"!

Of course he should give it away! Who is he to keep it and spend it on his own arrogance...

Should he use it to save a tree too?

Or maybe the whales? (you know in that movie the whales saved the world)

I can't believe that anyone would be so arrogant to want to spend the money in which they earned!

Sheesh what an @ss! He should only be thinking of others and nothing else.

He is obviously rich and should help out everyone.

What if he gives $1.00 to everyone he can find? That way a whole lot of people win!

Maybe the people who only receive $1.00 should be upset too since they know he has more!!
January 11, 2007 8:05:46 PM

Wiz,

Just so ya know,

I am guessing that most of the folks that asked him to send the money to them were more than likely joking mmmmmK!

Wiz how do ya know that the guy hasn't scrimped and saved for the past three years saving money from the two or three jobs he holds to build the rig he has, and has a little left over to finally play a little.

Shame on him!

Hey Wiz,

Did ya go to college?

If so, did you do well?

If so, shouldn't you share part of your grade with the lazy guy in the corner who did little to no work so he will pass too?

Yeah that is what you should do. Share your "A" and take a "C" so he can have a "C" too!

If you are not keen on sharing your hard earned grade with the lazy guy, then I hereby WELCOME you to the Conservative side of things! ;) 

Man am I glad that I got that off my shoulders :) 
January 11, 2007 8:12:29 PM

Wiz,

And finally,

How very arrogant of you to assume anything of the OP unless you know him/her personally.

Ironic isn't it. :) 
January 11, 2007 8:26:38 PM

Now that is what I call great sarcasm. Well done and true. :trophy: :) 
January 11, 2007 11:29:46 PM

Chess111 wrote"

Quote:
Wiz,

And finally,

How very arrogant of you to assume anything of the OP unless you know him/her personally.

Ironic isn't it.

and

Quote:
Wiz,

Just so ya know,

I am guessing that most of the folks that asked him to send the money to them were more than likely joking mmmmmK!

Wiz how do ya know that the guy hasn't scrimped and saved for the past three years saving money from the two or three jobs he holds to build the rig he has, and has a little left over to finally play a little.

Shame on him!

Hey Wiz,

Did ya go to college?

If so, did you do well?

If so, shouldn't you share part of your grade with the lazy guy in the corner who did little to no work so he will pass too?

Yeah that is what you should do. Share your "A" and take a "C" so he can have a "C" too!

If you are not keen on sharing your hard earned grade with the lazy guy, then I hereby WELCOME you to the Conservative side of things! Wink

Man am I glad that I got that off my shoulders Smile

and

Quote:
Wiz,

Perfectly stated "Liberal Drool"!

Of course he should give it away! Who is he to keep it and spend it on his own arrogance...

Should he use it to save a tree too?

Or maybe the whales? (you know in that movie the whales saved the world)

I can't believe that anyone would be so arrogant to want to spend the money in which they earned!

Sheesh what an @ss! He should only be thinking of others and nothing else.

He is obviously rich and should help out everyone.

What if he gives $1.00 to everyone he can find? That way a whole lot of people win!

Maybe the people who only receive $1.00 should be upset too since they know he has more!!

and PinkCaddy wrote:

Quote:
Wizard:

I fail to understand why in most of your posts, you seem to enjoy insulting OPs for asking questions that this forum was designed for. I believe the OP asked for people's opinions on how to upgrade his current system - not on what would be the moral way to get rid of $400.

I believe you would be wise to contemplate YOUR OWN arrogance and stupid insensitivity.

Well, it's like this:

Anybody who starts their post off with "This $400 is burning a hole in my pocket, help me spend" is clearly not in any sort of "scrimp and save" mode to start with, and is displaying a serious degree of arrogance, as in "I have all this cash to pi$$ away". This is definitely not the same as "I have a budget of $X, please advise me on the best use in upgrading Y in my system".

I have yet to encounter anyone who has scrimped and saved working 2 or more garbage jobs, counting every penny, use the expression "burning a hole in my pocket" about money. And I've hoed that row myself.

What exactly, in your considered opinions, does the expression "burning a hole in my pocket" mean, in the context it was used here?

And on what basis do you assume that I wasn't kidding in my original suggestion about sending me the money?

More to the point, if someone is bragging (in a very crude and obnoxious manner) that they have substantial amounts of spare cash on hand, what is the problem with suggesting that they give it to charity? Especially at this time of year - you know, Christmas season. Good-will to all men, etc. Or are you suggesting that helping the less fortunate among us is somehow wrong, inappropriate and politically incorrect? If that is the case, why are you so concerned about "helping others" in these forums. Ya wouldn't be showing signs of "Liberal Drool" would ya? Naah, this is typical, red-neck fascist behaviour - selective, convenient application of "princples we support and believe in".

Chess111, you and I have had a round and round earlier in another thread. And in that discusion, you also made certain assumptions about my thinking that were less than valid, and displayed not only a gross failure to pay attention to what I actually said but seriously flawed logic on your end.

As for "Liberal Drool" and other such endearments you so obviously enjoyed spewing, well, I would rather be that than what your own words clearly show you are: a red-neck fascist. I don't necessarily need to know someone personally to understand their thinking - if they provide enough commentary, their own words delineate their personality and character.

I did go to College. What I have done for a living for the past 21 years, in both private and public sectors is trace-level environmental analysis of organic pollutants - keeping even fools like you safer and healthy.

With 10 years as a Scout Leader on the side.

The funny thing about Scouting is that its fundamental purpose is to develop individuals who are responsible, engaged citizens, capable of assuming a leadership role in any number of situations. And Scouting is a democratic movement. An extremely critical aspect of Scouting and the type of leadership training it provides is the concept of the group and team-work. Strangely, this is exactly the same concept of leadership and its underpinnings that the vast majority of military Special Forces units (Green Berets, Navy SEALs, US Army Rangers, USMC Recon, British SAS, etc) also instill in their members. "Liberal Drool" indeed.

As for your comment PinkCaddy, see the content of most of my other posts in these threads. Including suggestions by other readers that several of them be made sticky based on the content. Somehow, I doubt that "Insulting the OP" would generate such comments. But, what would an "arrogant Liberal Drool" like me know? I only "insult" OPs who are begging for it. I wonder on what basis you make such a broad and general comment about "most" of my posts, when you clearly have not read them all. So tell me, who is the arrogant one here?

While we are on the subject of arrogance, I note that Chess111 has posted many comments in this thread that are nothing more than personal quips, comments and digs that have absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question or the general subject of the thread. This person has effectively hijacked the thread. And to what purpose? Looks like self-aggrandizement to me. I ask you again, who is the arrogant one here?
January 12, 2007 12:20:14 AM

You are wasting your time in a forum telling someone why they are wasting their money on a computer instead of helping out the needy... Go spend your time helping out the needy instead of wasting it here.

No one is going to read your post because it is long, boring, pointless and full of ignorance. Plus no one likes you.
January 12, 2007 12:28:03 AM

Wiz,

The internet and these forums being text only are known as typically cold media. People are often unable to draw distinction between humor, sadness, hapiness, sarcasm (I am pretty sure I got that one across earlier :) ) and ...

The topic/title given could be construed in a number of ways. You chose a posture that attacked an individual that actually came back and thanked many of the folks here.

I simply offered back to you what you gave.

You are very correct on one thing (I did somewhat highjack this thread and to the OP I apologize).

You made assumptions (actually not very accurate) about my person as well (in kind to my previous posts). I am about as helpful as can be to people that first try to help themselves. People that rely on others for their individual welfare when they are NOT in need do not register for me. When I was in the Air Force and working a second and sometimes third job, I had money burning a whole in my pocket too. It is a phrase. I scrimped and saved for the things that I wanted. When I finally had the money you can very well bet that it was truly burning a hole in my pocket till I got the item I had saved for.

Again my apologies to the OP.

Wiz, even an apology offered to you as well. I will however try ALWAYS very hard to make newer and older members of this site feel somewhat at ease. Some words above to the newer member could have sent him packing with a bad attitude toward these forums. I simply responded in kind to your words.

PS..

Just so there is very little confusion. (Flame me via PM if you will please :) ).

I am a Conservative (not ultra) who does well for myself (some might consider it well). I help in my community where/when needed. I still stop for people when their vehicle is having issues. I attend church regularly and do very much believe in God. I am a workaholic. And yes I even drive a TRUCK :)  I do live in Colorado you know :) 

There clear as mud and I am done within this thread other than to respond to the OP/topic at hand.

Again feel free to flame me via PM :) 
January 12, 2007 1:58:51 AM

Wiz:

I thank you cordially for pointing out my flaws (and everyone else's for that matter). However, if I seek to discover my flaws, I will ask my wife.

The tone of your posts I have read always seem to have an arrogance to them. I get the feeling you speak down to others rather than speak to them. This is not a forum where one's choice of words needs to be critiqued - it's meant to be an informal forum where one can ask questions, no matter how stupid you may think they are, and get an answer from someone who is willing to offer help. If you feel that you are too above all of us, then perhaps another forum might suit your personality and brand of humor.

As for the OP's original question, you felt the need to attack his use of words and personal funds. Rather than making attacks on people and telling them to "contemplate their own arrogance and stupid insensitivity", perhaps you could just STFU or answer his/her question. Since you are so all-knowing and wise, could you please shed some light on what good upgrade for the OP would be given his/her $400 budget?

When I have a question, I ask it here. When I see something I know the answer to, I answer. I fail to understand why you need to make an unprovoked personal attack on the guy/gal.

Not sure what a Scout Leader has to do with anything here, but since I'm an Eagle Scout, I'm really glad I never had a "leader" like you. You seem far too pompous and self-rightous to be an effective leader.
January 12, 2007 2:11:18 AM

Quote:
You are wasting your time in a forum telling someone why they are wasting their money on a computer instead of helping out the needy... Go spend your time helping out the needy instead of wasting it here.

No one is going to read your post because it is long, boring, pointless and full of ignorance. Plus no one likes you.

Wasting my time is my prerogative. Why are you wasting yours?

And, as far as it goes, I didn't tell the OP why they were wasting their money - I was responding to some really unfortunate comments from another poster that was attacking me. We see a clear indication of red-neck fascist performance here.

And I don't recall you being involved in either the thread or the specific discussion. MYOFB - you dumb red-neck fascist punk.

It is clear from your post that you are not able to comprehend what you read; incapable of reasoning, logic or even basic debating skills. In short, you are, on your very best day, an extremely strong Darwin Award Candidate.

I am amazed that you are still alive. Stop pushing your luck.

As for my posts being long, boring, etc - you need to adjust your Ritalin dose - it is crystal clear that your case of ADHD is once again out of control.

Your comment that I am "ignorant" and "nobody likes me" is very easily refuted:

Quote:
WizardOZ, the mods are missing out this opportunity to sticky your posts in the storage forum. Coming from a Linux background, I know what you are talking about. i.e. /home = my doc, can be on another partition/drive. You should really write an article for this site or other about data management.

Post subject: Re: 1st time build, any insight/advice please? [in reply to: WizardOZ] Reply with quote Reply without quote
1) The P5W is a 975X board with 2 PATA IDE ports, so I should be good there. That was actually one of the deciding factors over a 965 mobo, and I dont like the 650i.

2) All of my peripherals are USB and/or firewire.

3) Yeah im definitely going to keep the floopy in a drawer for rainy days. I thought about a card reader, but right now I only need 1 kind and have a good external reader...perhaps someday.

4) The 6800 vid card is PCIe. I neglected to mention that. That's why its never been used (my current mobo is AGP).

Thanks

Oh, by the way...I remember you from another post. You offered some great info about disk partitioning. I even bought a copy of Partition Magic on your recommendation Smile

I was wondering if you had any advice on how to partition the single 320gig drive?

Funny that these different, recent comments in other threads would disagree with you.

I wonder what this says about your analytical, intellectual and social skills and performance?

Oh yeah, nothing positive.

Perhaps you could do us all favour and stifle yourself.

Slither back under your rock and stay there until you have something intelligent, useful and germane to add to the discussion.
January 12, 2007 2:13:59 AM

I didn't read this lengthy post. I would just like to once again point out that no one likes you.
January 12, 2007 2:24:38 AM

sell the 2x512,s for cheap and you will have more money to spend on hookers.
January 12, 2007 3:06:00 AM

Quote:
Wiz:

I thank you cordially for pointing out my flaws (and everyone else's for that matter). However, if I seek to discover my flaws, I will ask my wife.

Asking your wife, or anyone else, to discover your flaws is a start, but you should be doing an internal check on your owm. As I recall from both my days as a Scout and Scout leader, Oh Great Mr. Eagle Scout, any Scout, To quote the Syllabus: "Always Strives to Improve".

The tone of your posts I have read always seem to have an arrogance to them. I get the feeling you speak down to others rather than speak to them. This is not a forum where one's choice of words needs to be critiqued - it's meant to be an informal forum where one can ask questions, no matter how stupid you may think they are, and get an answer from someone who is willing to offer help. If you feel that you are too above all of us, then perhaps another forum might suit your personality and brand of humor.

As I noted in the PM I sent to you, there is a serious shortage of threads we have in common with each other in terms of posts. This is the only one where we have common posts. You are makiing comments about the content of my posts without actually checking what I have posted. Due dilligance anyone? As for alleged "arrogance", well if I actually do know what I am talking about, and I do know more than you do, and I am demonstrably passing on my knowledge and experience, on what basis do you accuse me of being arrogant? Or are you so mean, petty, small-minded and immature that anyone who has more knowledge and experience than you is a threat that has to be attacked. Some Eagle Scout you are. As for your "observation" about "stupid" questions, as opposed to rude and arrogant ones, I refer you to your own code of ethics and behaviour, assuming thatr you are indeed an Eagle Scout.

As for the OP's original question, you felt the need to attack his use of words and personal funds. Rather than making attacks on people and telling them to "contemplate their own arrogance and stupid insensitivity", perhaps you could just STFU or answer his/her question. Since you are so all-knowing and wise, could you please shed some light on what good upgrade for the OP would be given his/her $400 budget?

Well, I believe I addressed this issue in detail in my previous post. The fact that you fail to grasp what I said, especially since you have apparently read my response is not saying anything positive about you. Perhaps it is you that should STFU. And apply the principles of scouting and leadership that you alledge you have been through.

When I have a question, I ask it here. When I see something I know the answer to, I answer. I fail to understand why you need to make an unprovoked personal attack on the guy/gal.

Man, you really do suffer from ADHD, don't you? Why don't you go basck and read what I said very carefully? But don't hurry, as it is clear that you miss critical deatails as you skim whaty you are reading.

Not sure what a Scout Leader has to do with anything here, but since I'm an Eagle Scout, I'm really glad I never had a "leader" like you. You seem far too pompous and self-rightous to be an effective leader.

The issue is a question of integrity and character and leadership. You claim to be an Eagle Scout. I know exactly what that is, and I am intimately familiar with the functional equivalents and criteria for reaching that status in other cases. I am personally acquainted with several individuals that have that staus.

Absolutely nothing that you have said here indicates to me that you have legitimately earned the title of Eagle Scout.

Your comment "Not sure what a Scout Leader has to do with anything here" in the context of my comments earlier is a crystal-clear indicator of two things. First, there is no way at all that you were ever involved in any way with scouting - if you were you wouldn't be spewing such garbage. Second, and even more critical, you are an outright lying fraud. FOAD, you GD REMF. How dare you claim the status of an Eagle Scout, nevermind any association with Scouting when every letter you type makes it crystal clear that you loathe and detest what Scouting is and stands for?
January 12, 2007 3:11:03 AM

Quote:
I didn't read this lengthy post. I would just like to once again point out that no one likes you.

Oh well, ADHD strikes again. Double up the Ritalin.

Eagerly anticipating reading about you winning a Darwin Award.

You aren't anywhere near as clever, let alone as smart as you think you are.
January 12, 2007 3:33:01 AM

KloudteK:

My apologies that one poster felt the need to make a personal attack on you rather than answer your question and possibly contribute to some humor. I didn't mean to hijack your thread - I was just responding to WizardOZ's need to label your post as arrogant and "stupid insensitivity". I hope that this particular poster does not give you a bad taste of what these forums are like. I've never experienced this anywhere else in this forum.
January 12, 2007 3:34:56 AM

1. What does ADHD have to do with anything?
2. How does me pointing out that no one likes you come across as me thinking that I am smart or clever? You seem to be the only one who thinks that you are smarter, better or more clever than anyone else.
January 12, 2007 4:27:51 AM

Wiz,

I'd have to say that it is most unfortunate that you have chosen to continue your quest.

I offered apology hoping that you would also consider revising your mindset.

It is truly sad to see that your opinion/s and comments only serve to further diminish your credibility.

I am sorry that you feel the need to profess your intelligence as it only stands as a tribute to the contrary.

I am also saddened that you are possibly representing an honorable group such as the BSA.

Your choice of ill words and use of creative acronyms only continue your decline.

I wish you well, and hope you find another avenue for your discourse.

Again, my apologies to the OP. An offer no longer extended to the Wiz.

PS.. In the future you might want to suggest the use of SwissKnife as it is free and offers similar features as Partition Magic. Having used both I tend to like SwissKnife better as well (personal opinion). Partitioning and formatting an external 160gb drive using EXT3, makes for a recognizable external drive for both Windows and Linux. An absolute snap.
January 12, 2007 7:53:27 PM

Quote:
1. What does ADHD have to do with anything?

If you can't be bothered to read a post that is QUOTE Long and Boring UNQUOTE, which is only 6 paragraphs long, of which 3 are only one sentence long, then your attention span is short enough to qualify you as having Attention Deficit Disorder.

2. How does me pointing out that no one likes you come across as me thinking that I am smart or clever? You seem to be the only one who thinks that you are smarter, better or more clever than anyone else.

Who likes me is a relative question. You clearly don't. That's nice. You seriously underwhelm me. But ya know, life will go on.

But this sort of comment is a very specific technique used in arguements and debates. It is called an "ad hominum" attack. Look it up.

Frequently used in the manner that you did against me. Especially when you can't produce a substantive point, comment or rebuttal to something I said that challenges your position. Also used in attempts to make oneself look better (more experienced, professional, knowledgable / smarter, morally superior) than the opponent in the debate / argument by creating the impression that the opponent is unworthy because he/she is an outcast - ie "nobody likes you". If nobody likes me, then I am some sort of second-order slime, aren't I? And therefore not worth listening to.

I trust that this is not too long a post for you.

January 12, 2007 8:06:56 PM

hmmm, read part of it. I am really trying to get VLC to play a dvd, only half of the audio is working, its quite annoying.

Anyway.

You seem to strongly believe that anyone that doesn't want to spend their time reading your posts has a mental disorder (ADHD). That is an interesting idea, although I do believe it is false.

It is also interesting that you used this "ad hominum" attack in your own post that is explaining to me why this sort of attack is bad. Trying to make yourself look "more experienced, professional, knowledgable / smarter" by using a word that you assume I don't know and trying to make me look less intelligent by telling me to "look it up".

haha, man you are silly!

Its "ad hominem" for future reference.

ps. You also didn't answer my question.

Quote:
How does me pointing out that no one likes you come across as me thinking that I am smart or clever? You seem to be the only one who thinks that you are smarter, better or more clever than anyone else.

All you did was explain what an ad hominem is, and once again try to make yourself look more intelligent than everyone else.
!