Making an ultimate gaming machine!!

dsolution

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Hi I am making a new gaming system, due to my uni scholarship price is not quite an issue..I have purchased most of the following items and I am awaiting the rest. Well I was asking if there is anything I would have to consider such as overclocking when making the computer.

The parts are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2.60GHz (Socket AM2)
Asus M2N32-SLi-DLX nForce 590 SLi
2x Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8888C4
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
2x Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Plextor PX-760SA 18x18 Dual Layer Serial ATA DVD±RW ReWriter
Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU
Thermaltake VA8003BWS Armour Super Tower

Nice build! It will definitely kick a$$!

Generally speaking, IMO, the biggest thing to consider when overclocking is the RAM. Good quality RAM can not be underestimated when choosing to OC. Corsair XMS is known to be good stuff and should get decent results. Sufficient cooling is also important, just make sure you've got enough air flow thru the case.

Just be warned, the fanboys will jump in here and give you the business for not building an Intel Core2Duo based system.

Good luck!

PCAnalyst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
You might do a little better with the 680a mobo for overclocking... and it is a later model mobo. But I see they are not out yet... :oops:

And since money is less of an issue I would say spend a few more dollars and get a Teir 1 PSU such as PC Power & cooling 750W, or Silverstone 750W, or a Zippy.

And I believe the Tuniq T-120 CPU cooler is better than the Zalman in temps and Noise levels.

Nova46

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Nice build! It will definitely kick a$$!

Generally speaking, IMO, the biggest thing to consider when overclocking is the RAM. Good quality RAM can not be underestimated when choosing to OC. Corsair XMS is known to be good stuff and should get decent results. Sufficient cooling is also important, just make sure you've got enough air flow thru the case.

Just be warned, the fanboys will jump in here and give you the business for not building an Intel Core2Duo based system.

Good luck!
Fanboys? It's a fact that the Core 2 Duo performs better.

The whole system looks great, although you could get a faster processor with a Core 2 Duo or Quad.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
While I agree that a Core2Duo system will outperform, I'm not gonna argue. You've asked for opinons on what you've specified, so that's what I'll give.........assuming you've already got the CPU and mobo? If not, then go C2D instead ;)

In any event, that RAM is great.......I'm positive it's the hand-picked D9 chips, so it'll overclock like a beast.

I agree with PCAnalyst on the PSU. The Corsair is a very good PSU, no question, but if you can move up a bit then do it. It'll give you a bit more room if you wanna go SLI in the future as well.

My only other comment is that you should seriously consider a separate data drive. I'm assuming you'll be running the Raptors in RAID 0? Get a 320 gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 w/16 meg cache. If one drive goes down, you're screwed....trust me, spend the $100 and get a separate data drive.

Also, what monitor will you be using? Something to take full advantage of that 8800GTX?

Other than that, great system!

dsolution

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I already have the motherboard and cpu....so i'll be using amd prob untill the next system i make..the monitor that i'll will be using is the BenQ FP241W 24"

Surferosa

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006

Yea.. please disregard this comment. Anyone who still buys amd for a top end rig is an amd fan-boy; or does not have knowledge of what has happened in the cpu market in the last 6 months. Running on stock the E6700 kicks the ass of the 5200+; once over-clocked, there is no contest.

And if you have silly money to burn, youv'e not got to the EX6800.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2006/07/14/core2_duo_knocks_out_athlon_64_uk/
CPU Charts

For two years, the FX64 was the undisputable king. But no more. If you've already purchased, well done- youve got a fine rig that will fly. The bad news is, it certainly isnt the ultimate gaming machine by today's standards- in fact, it isnt the best performer $ for $. For that, you need to go C2D.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi I am making a new gaming system, due to my uni scholarship price is not quite an issue..I have purchased most of the following items and I am awaiting the rest. Well I was asking if there is anything I would have to consider such as overclocking when making the computer.

The parts are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2.60GHz (Socket AM2)
Asus M2N32-SLi-DLX nForce 590 SLi
2x Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8888C4
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
2x Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Plextor PX-760SA 18x18 Dual Layer Serial ATA DVD±RW ReWriter
Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU
Thermaltake VA8003BWS Armour Super Tower

Personally i wouldn't of gone with the x2 5200+, compared to the Core 2 Duo's it's meant to compete against it's a total ripoff.