Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

application programs and operating system

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
January 31, 2005 8:39:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

what is the relationship between application programs and the operating system?
January 31, 2005 11:58:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

sunshine wrote:
> what is the relationship between application programs and the
> operating system?

The operating system is like the engine in your car; the
applications are like the transmission, brakes, air bags, etc..

Pop
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:05:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In news:34D08C44-146B-4964-A37A-A703EF213C7F@microsoft.com,
sunshine <sunshine@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> what is the relationship between application programs and the
> operating system?


A homework question?


--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Related resources
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:08:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Google on "operating system" and "application"

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"sunshine" <sunshine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:34D08C44-146B-4964-A37A-A703EF213C7F@microsoft.com...
> what is the relationship between application programs and the operating
> system?
January 31, 2005 2:04:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

The operating system provides the foundation for applications to run and
manages the hardware. When you launch a program the OS allocates memory and
loads executable code and data there from the hard drive. It keeps track of
the instructions being executed and passes them to the CPU. A multitasking
OS also manages the interaction of programs giving each their share of
processor time and system resources. Programs use services provided by the
OS to read and write files, print, communicate, etc. The interface that
programs use to call upon these services is called an API (Applications
Program Interface).

It's an interesting question and could be given a much longer answer, but
that should give some basic idea.
--

"sunshine" <sunshine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:34D08C44-146B-4964-A37A-A703EF213C7F@microsoft.com...
> what is the relationship between application programs and the operating
> system?
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:40:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Salut/Hi sunshine,

le/on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:39:03 -0800, tu disais/you said:-

>what is the relationship between application programs and the operating system?

The operating system is like the sewage system in your house. It keeps
everything running!

Applications are what run in your sewage system.

Remember that when next you read about an upgrade to some super duper new
operating system. It's no more glamorous than your drains! All you ask is
that they should work perfectly and never cause a smell.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:44:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 01:40:23 +0100, Ian Hoare wrote:

> The operating system is like the sewage system in your house. It keeps
> everything running!
>
> Applications are what run in your sewage system.

I get tired of the car analogies and thought I was looking forward to
reading something different. Wasn't expecting a sewage parallel. Accurate
but the imagery stinks. ;^)

One of my favorites is the house analogy. Simple version:
Hardware = foundation
Operating system = house structure built on the foundation
Applications = individual rooms dedicated to specific purposes

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:24:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Sharon

Most men can understand a car analogy better than anything connected to
house building regulations.. :) 

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm





"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
news:ehCXcvGCFHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 01:40:23 +0100, Ian Hoare wrote:
>
>> The operating system is like the sewage system in your house. It keeps
>> everything running!
>>
>> Applications are what run in your sewage system.
>
> I get tired of the car analogies and thought I was looking forward to
> reading something different. Wasn't expecting a sewage parallel. Accurate
> but the imagery stinks. ;^)
>
> One of my favorites is the house analogy. Simple version:
> Hardware = foundation
> Operating system = house structure built on the foundation
> Applications = individual rooms dedicated to specific purposes
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:24:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:24:57 -0500, Mike Hall wrote:

> Sharon
>
> Most men can understand a car analogy better than anything connected to
> house building regulations.. :) 

Point taken. :) 

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:24:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I like the sports analogy where the OS is the field and applications are the
players.

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
news:%23NsR3HJCFHA.1836@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:24:57 -0500, Mike Hall wrote:
>
>> Sharon
>>
>> Most men can understand a car analogy better than anything connected to
>> house building regulations.. :) 
>
> Point taken. :) 
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 4:19:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Salut/Hi Sharon F,

le/on Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:44:18 -0600, tu disais/you said:-

>> The operating system is like the sewage system in your house. It keeps
>> everything running!

>I get tired of the car analogies and thought I was looking forward to
>reading something different. Wasn't expecting a sewage parallel. Accurate
>but the imagery stinks. ;^)

Well, I have to say that what I like about it is that it is somewhat of an
antidote to the pressure to get the lastest and greatest new operating
system. I have to admit that I have the greatest reluctance to EVER getting
Mk 1 of any software, and especially an O.S. So when XP got to SP2 I reckon
they'd probably have got the worst bugs ironed out and it was becoming
increasingly hard to get Win 98 optimised software.

>One of my favorites is the house analogy.


Not bad at all either. Equally demystifying.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website
!