Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

decrypt EFS files

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
September 3, 2005 3:02:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi,
will the domain administrator able to decrypt and view my files even if i
encrypt it with EFS ?
thanks

More about : decrypt efs files

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:02:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Please read the info regarding EFS in the Help and Support section.
ESPECIALLY the part about certificates and file recovery.

Lynn wrote:

> Hi,
> will the domain administrator able to decrypt and view my files even if i
> encrypt it with EFS ?
> thanks
>
>
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:02:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

The administrator can set things up so that they can decrypt your files.
Typically, this is done as a safety measure so that an authorized person can
get to your encrypted files in case you get hit by a truck. Also, this
allows that authorized person to recover your files if anything happens to
the magic registry settings that grant you access to your own files.

If you dig into the EFS documentation (it's really difficult reading, but
it's mostly all there), you can set up your encryption so that only you have
access to the files. If you do this, make sure you store a copy of your
encryption certificate somewhere safe in case your profile gets corrupted!
Related resources
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:02:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

"Lynn" <MarryLynn@yah00.c0m> wrote in
news:#ss4K#8rFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

> will the domain administrator able to decrypt and view my files
> even if i encrypt it with EFS ?
>

If you are worried about this, I wouldn't use the Microsoft solution.
Try the freeware "Truecrypt" instead:

<http://www.truecrypt.org/&gt;

HTH,
John
September 4, 2005 2:13:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

John,
have you used truecyrpt before ? how stable is it?


"John Wunderlich" <jwunderlich@lycos.com> wrote in message
news:Xns96C5887317220wunderpsdrscraytheon@138.126.254.210...
> "Lynn" <MarryLynn@yah00.c0m> wrote in
> news:#ss4K#8rFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
>
> > will the domain administrator able to decrypt and view my files
> > even if i encrypt it with EFS ?
> >
>
> If you are worried about this, I wouldn't use the Microsoft solution.
> Try the freeware "Truecrypt" instead:
>
> <http://www.truecrypt.org/&gt;
>
> HTH,
> John
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 9:56:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

"Lynn" <MarryLynn@yah00.c0m> wrote in news:o CCwxZPsFHA.332
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> John,
> have you used truecyrpt before ? how stable is it?
>

I use it all the time. The current version quite stable and
dependable. You can also transfer container files between computers
easily as all that is required to access the data (besides the
Truecrypt program) is a password.

Don't forget your password, though, or you will lose your data.
(as it should be)

HTH,
John
September 8, 2005 3:52:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

can truecyrpt encrypt only a folder?

"John Wunderlich" <jwunderlich@lycos.com> wrote in message
news:Xns96C7B6960595Fwunderpsdrscraytheon@216.196.97.142...
> "Lynn" <MarryLynn@yah00.c0m> wrote in news:o CCwxZPsFHA.332
> @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
>
> > John,
> > have you used truecyrpt before ? how stable is it?
> >
>
> I use it all the time. The current version quite stable and
> dependable. You can also transfer container files between computers
> easily as all that is required to access the data (besides the
> Truecrypt program) is a password.
>
> Don't forget your password, though, or you will lose your data.
> (as it should be)
>
> HTH,
> John
September 12, 2005 12:12:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

can truecyrpt encrypt only a folder?
or any software which can do encrypting of a folder?

"John Wunderlich" <jwunderlich@lycos.com> wrote in message
news:Xns96C7B6960595Fwunderpsdrscraytheon@216.196.97.142...
> "Lynn" <MarryLynn@yah00.c0m> wrote in news:o CCwxZPsFHA.332
> @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
>
> > John,
> > have you used truecyrpt before ? how stable is it?
> >
>
> I use it all the time. The current version quite stable and
> dependable. You can also transfer container files between computers
> easily as all that is required to access the data (besides the
> Truecrypt program) is a password.
>
> Don't forget your password, though, or you will lose your data.
> (as it should be)
>
> HTH,
> John
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:10:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

"Lynn" <MarryLynn@yah00.c0m> wrote in news:#NdvWpstFHA.2072
@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> can truecyrpt encrypt only a folder?
> or any software which can do encrypting of a folder?
>

Truecrypt creates a virtual disk that is mounted with a password.
Once mounted, anything you put into this disk will be stored encrypted.
Anything you read from the disk will be decrypted as it is read. It is
an OTFE (on-the-fly-encryption) device. Anything in the virtual disk
is encrypted... that includes folders, files, and executables. When
dismounted, the data exists as a single encrypted file on your drive.

HTH,
John
!