decrypt EFS files

Hi,
will the domain administrator able to decrypt and view my files even if i
encrypt it with EFS ?
thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about decrypt files

    Please read the info regarding EFS in the Help and Support section.
    ESPECIALLY the part about certificates and file recovery.

    Lynn wrote:

    > Hi,
    > will the domain administrator able to decrypt and view my files even if i
    > encrypt it with EFS ?
    > thanks

    The administrator can set things up so that they can decrypt your files.
    Typically, this is done as a safety measure so that an authorized person can
    get to your encrypted files in case you get hit by a truck. Also, this
    allows that authorized person to recover your files if anything happens to
    the magic registry settings that grant you access to your own files.

    If you dig into the EFS documentation (it's really difficult reading, but
    it's mostly all there), you can set up your encryption so that only you have
    access to the files. If you do this, make sure you store a copy of your
    encryption certificate somewhere safe in case your profile gets corrupted!

    "Lynn" <MarryLynn@yah00.c0m> wrote in

    > will the domain administrator able to decrypt and view my files
    > even if i encrypt it with EFS ?

    If you are worried about this, I wouldn't use the Microsoft solution.
    Try the freeware "Truecrypt" instead:

    <http://www.truecrypt.org/>

    HTH,
    John

    John,
    have you used truecyrpt before ? how stable is it?

    "Lynn" <MarryLynn@yah00.c0m> wrote in news:OCCwxZPsFHA.332
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > John,
    > have you used truecyrpt before ? how stable is it?

    I use it all the time. The current version quite stable and
    dependable. You can also transfer container files between computers
    easily as all that is required to access the data (besides the
    Truecrypt program) is a password.

    Don't forget your password, though, or you will lose your data.
    (as it should be)

    HTH,
    John

    can truecyrpt encrypt only a folder?

    > "Lynn" <MarryLynn@yah00.c0m> wrote in news:OCCwxZPsFHA.332
    > @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
    >
    > > John,
    > > have you used truecyrpt before ? how stable is it?
    > >

    > I use it all the time. The current version quite stable and
    > dependable. You can also transfer container files between computers
    > easily as all that is required to access the data (besides the
    > Truecrypt program) is a password.
    >
    > Don't forget your password, though, or you will lose your data.
    > (as it should be)
    >
    > HTH,
    > John
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    can truecyrpt encrypt only a folder?
    or any software which can do encrypting of a folder?

    "John Wunderlich" <jwunderlich@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > "Lynn" <MarryLynn@yah00.c0m> wrote in news:OCCwxZPsFHA.332
    > @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
    >
    > > John,
    > > have you used truecyrpt before ? how stable is it?
    > >

    > I use it all the time. The current version quite stable and
    > dependable. You can also transfer container files between computers
    > easily as all that is required to access the data (besides the
    > Truecrypt program) is a password.
    >
    > Don't forget your password, though, or you will lose your data.
    > (as it should be)
    >
    > HTH,
    > John
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "Lynn" <MarryLynn@yah00.c0m> wrote in news:#NdvWpstFHA.2072
    @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

    > can truecyrpt encrypt only a folder?
    > or any software which can do encrypting of a folder?

    Truecrypt creates a virtual disk that is mounted with a password.
    Once mounted, anything you put into this disk will be stored encrypted.
    Anything you read from the disk will be decrypted as it is read. It is
    an OTFE (on-the-fly-encryption) device. Anything in the virtual disk
    is encrypted... that includes folders, files, and executables. When
    dismounted, the data exists as a single encrypted file on your drive.

    HTH,
    John

Domain Microsoft Windows