Multi Class Fighter/Thief

I was wondering what the best way to create a Multi Class Fighter/Thief? is
it better to create a Thief of say level 10 then go on to creating the
Fighter? or can you just alternate the levels say like Thief levels 1, 3, 5,
7, 9, Fighter 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 etc. I am new to Neverwinter Nights and RPG
games so am unfamiliar with the rules.

Any help greatly appreciated.

It would be best and faster to level up the split way you mentioned....one
thief..then one fighter...next thief and so on.
The reason for this is depending on your race, you most likely would end up
with an experiance penalty if your class levels get more than one or two
levels apart from each other. an xp penalty means that a percentage would be
deducted from what you would recieve from defeating a monster...i.e. if you
would get say 100 xp for a kill, you would actually only recieve 80 or 90 if
you're under a penalty.
as long as your classes are only 1 level apart you shouldn't get any
penalty.
In the persistant world I play on I was playing an elven bard all the way up
to 16th level and had no problems, but after 16th I decided to add rogue
levels at that point for some sneak attack damage and the rogue skills
costing less (also after about 16th bards get very little advancement except
a few additional spells and a very few additional bonuses to their bardsong)
At that point I noticed that I was gaining next to *no* xp for kills where I
would have gotten at least 5xp/kill...I was lucky to get one or sometimes
none.(the persistant world I play on the xp scale has been taken way down
for slower advancement)
"Nick Lawrence" <nick@impactss.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering what the best way to create a Multi Class Fighter/Thief?
is
> it better to create a Thief of say level 10 then go on to creating the
> Fighter? or can you just alternate the levels say like Thief levels 1, 3,
5,
> 7, 9, Fighter 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 etc. I am new to Neverwinter Nights and RPG
> games so am unfamiliar with the rules.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

Lance

"Khazad Dhum" <BMacklem@milwaukeepc.com> wrote in message news:<VBrlc.9096$0K.447@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>...
> It would be best and faster to level up the split way you mentioned....one
> thief..then one fighter...next thief and so on.
> The reason for this is depending on your race, you most likely would end up
> with an experiance penalty if your class levels get more than one or two
> levels apart from each other. an xp penalty means that a percentage would be
> deducted from what you would recieve from defeating a monster...i.e. if you
> would get say 100 xp for a kill, you would actually only recieve 80 or 90 if
> you're under a penalty.
> as long as your classes are only 1 level apart you shouldn't get any
> penalty.

Unless you are a halfling, in which case the Rogue levels don't count
towards that exp penalty check. Or a Human or Half Elf, in which case
you don't count your highest level class.

Funny thing is, I've had that wrong all along, and thought that a
4/4/1 split was a good one with a human, when really a 5/2/2 type
layout would be the one with no penalty.

Simple two class combinations though, if you are a human or half elf
you can't go wrong.

Hmm, here's another question I haven't looked into. Are Prestige
classes counted for this exp penalty thing? Because I can't think of
many prestige classes you can buy without 6 levels or so in one or two
other classes. That means you start out with the prestige class 5
levels too low. For a human or half elf, no problem, but for any
other race, does that automatically put you behind the eight ball, so
to speak, until you "catch up"?

And since you had to buy 6 or so levels in that class before getting
any prestige levels, does that mean the "other races" have to either
keep raising that first class to keep up or suffer penalties when
getting past 7th level in their "real" class (I know they can only go
to 10 pre 20th, but then its 10/10 and they can go 20 more in the
prestige class, are levels 22 thru 40 all going to be at a penalty if
they do it that way?

Wow, I never should have tried to answer this question, now I've
realized how much I don't know!

Lance

Lance wrote:

> "Khazad Dhum" <BMacklem@milwaukeepc.com> wrote in message news:<VBrlc.9096$0K.447@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>...
>

>>The reason for this is depending on your race, you most likely would end up
>>with an experiance penalty if your class levels get more than one or two
>>levels apart from each other. an xp penalty means that a percentage would be
>>deducted from what you would recieve from defeating a monster...i.e. if you
>>would get say 100 xp for a kill, you would actually only recieve 80 or 90 if
>>you're under a penalty.
>>as long as your classes are only 1 level apart you shouldn't get any
>>penalty.
>

> Unless you are a halfling, in which case the Rogue levels don't count
> towards that exp penalty check. Or a Human or Half Elf, in which case
> you don't count your highest level class.

Or a dwarf, in which case the fighter levels don't count. There would
be an XP penalty for elves, gnomes, or half-orcs--less than half of the
available races.

> Hmm, here's another question I haven't looked into. Are Prestige
> classes counted for this exp penalty thing?

No.

Thanks for all you help and advice, going the alternate level route, Thief
1, Fighter 1, Thief 2, Fighter 2 etc.

Thanks

Nick

"Nick Lawrence" <nick@impactss.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering what the best way to create a Multi Class Fighter/Thief?
is
> it better to create a Thief of say level 10 then go on to creating the
> Fighter? or can you just alternate the levels say like Thief levels 1, 3,
5,
> 7, 9, Fighter 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 etc. I am new to Neverwinter Nights and RPG
> games so am unfamiliar with the rules.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"Nick Lawrence" <nick@impactss.com> wrote
> Thanks for all you help and advice, going the alternate level route, Thief
> 1, Fighter 1, Thief 2, Fighter 2 etc.

Yes, I was going to add make sure you start with the rogue levels first.
That way you get the bonus skill points to start.

Incidentally, I found in D&D that the extra feats and attack bonuses makes a
great set-up to move to the assassin PrC.

Lance

Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<phHlc.44750$M53.2194@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...
> Lance wrote:

> > Unless you are a halfling, in which case the Rogue levels don't count
> > towards that exp penalty check. Or a Human or Half Elf, in which case
> > you don't count your highest level class.
>
> Or a dwarf, in which case the fighter levels don't count. There would
> be an XP penalty for elves, gnomes, or half-orcs--less than half of the
> available races.

Yep, right after I posted I thought of that one, dwarven fighter/rogue
would also allow assymetrical advancement. Halflings are better
suited to roguery, but dwarves better suited to fighter status, as you
might expect, so I guess it would depend on which you intended to
concentrate in... and on your personal sense of style.

Lance

ElainaJeansonne

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
lol i keep starting a new game can't make up my mind on my class combo but monk/assasin is awesome
elainajeansonne@yahoo.com
what is the level and skill lvl caps?

Morton

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005

I was wondering what the best way to create a Multi Class Fighter/Thief? is
it better to create a Thief of say level 10 then go on to creating the
Fighter? or can you just alternate the levels say like Thief levels 1, 3, 5,
7, 9, Fighter 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 etc. I am new to Neverwinter Nights and RPG
games so am unfamiliar with the rules.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry that my answer is five years late, but maybe the best option is to take
2-4 levels of Fighter to get 2-3 fighter feats and then continue as Thief to get nice sneak attack and lvl 10+ Thief feats.
:lol: