rejoining WSs to recreated domain after total server crach

Hi

W2k PDC server total crach forced me to reinstall PDC from begin. There is
only one server (PDC, DNS, filesharing) and 25 WSs. I used same settings as
there was, user/computer names, domain-name etc.

Now it seems that WSs aren't really joined in the new domain (I suppose
there is something like "Domain Unique ID" which is changed). WSs can see
server shares but not shares in the other WSs. When I check the security
properties of the folders, there are only local groups and users - noting
involved with the domain. Also PDC can't access WSs shares with account
domain/domainadministrator. If I change a WS a member of workgroup and then
back to domain it joins the domain in normal manner. But then there is a
problem because under documents and settings comes a new user name which is
same as before but number 0001 in the end of it. WSs have special aplications
and I really don't want to fix every WS in that way.

Is there any special tool or manner which forces WSs back to domain?
4 answers Last reply
More about rejoining recreated domain total server crach

    "Juha" <Juha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > W2k PDC server total crach forced me to reinstall PDC from begin. There is
    > only one server (PDC, DNS, filesharing) and 25 WSs. I used same settings
    as
    > there was, user/computer names, domain-name etc.
    >
    > Now it seems that WSs aren't really joined in the new domain (I suppose
    > there is something like "Domain Unique ID" which is changed). WSs can see
    > server shares but not shares in the other WSs. When I check the security
    > properties of the folders, there are only local groups and users - noting
    > involved with the domain. Also PDC can't access WSs shares with account
    > domain/domainadministrator. If I change a WS a member of workgroup and
    then
    > back to domain it joins the domain in normal manner. But then there is a
    > problem because under documents and settings comes a new user name which
    is
    > same as before but number 0001 in the end of it. WSs have special
    aplications
    > and I really don't want to fix every WS in that way.
    >
    > Is there any special tool or manner which forces WSs back to domain?

    Assuming that each workstation has one profile that you like, you could
    copy that profile to the Default Profile. When you join that workstation
    to the domain then it will get a new profile based on the Default Profile
    you cust created.

    To copy a profile: Control Panel / System / User Profiles / "Copy to".
    Select the desired profile as a source and specify
    "c:\document and settings\default user" as a target. If the "Copy to"
    button is greyed out, reboot the machine and log on under an account
    other than the one whose profile you wish to copy.

    Thanks Pegasus

    This makes sense. I think they have one "local" profile for home use and one
    domain profile. They log in usually only into their own WSs. Is there any
    security related problems in this procedure? Is it for exsample My Documents
    and outlooks .pst files accessible to other domain users if they log in to
    other WS?

    Juha

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "Juha" <Juha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > W2k PDC server total crach forced me to reinstall PDC from begin. There is
    > > only one server (PDC, DNS, filesharing) and 25 WSs. I used same settings
    > as
    > > there was, user/computer names, domain-name etc.
    > >
    > > Now it seems that WSs aren't really joined in the new domain (I suppose
    > > there is something like "Domain Unique ID" which is changed). WSs can see
    > > server shares but not shares in the other WSs. When I check the security
    > > properties of the folders, there are only local groups and users - noting
    > > involved with the domain. Also PDC can't access WSs shares with account
    > > domain/domainadministrator. If I change a WS a member of workgroup and
    > then
    > > back to domain it joins the domain in normal manner. But then there is a
    > > problem because under documents and settings comes a new user name which
    > is
    > > same as before but number 0001 in the end of it. WSs have special
    > aplications
    > > and I really don't want to fix every WS in that way.
    > >
    > > Is there any special tool or manner which forces WSs back to domain?
    >
    > Assuming that each workstation has one profile that you like, you could
    > copy that profile to the Default Profile. When you join that workstation
    > to the domain then it will get a new profile based on the Default Profile
    > you cust created.
    >
    > To copy a profile: Control Panel / System / User Profiles / "Copy to".
    > Select the desired profile as a source and specify
    > "c:\document and settings\default user" as a target. If the "Copy to"
    > button is greyed out, reboot the machine and log on under an account
    > other than the one whose profile you wish to copy.

    This depends on where your .PST files reside and what NTFS
    permissions you have applied. It is not affected by your users'
    profiles or where they take their default profile from.

    > Thanks Pegasus
    >
    > This makes sense. I think they have one "local" profile for home use and
    one
    > domain profile. They log in usually only into their own WSs. Is there any
    > security related problems in this procedure? Is it for exsample My
    Documents
    > and outlooks .pst files accessible to other domain users if they log in to
    > other WS?
    >
    > Juha
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >

    > > "Juha" <Juha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > W2k PDC server total crach forced me to reinstall PDC from begin.
    There is
    > > > only one server (PDC, DNS, filesharing) and 25 WSs. I used same
    settings
    > > as
    > > > there was, user/computer names, domain-name etc.
    > > >
    > > > Now it seems that WSs aren't really joined in the new domain (I
    suppose
    > > > there is something like "Domain Unique ID" which is changed). WSs can
    see
    > > > server shares but not shares in the other WSs. When I check the
    security
    > > > properties of the folders, there are only local groups and users -
    noting
    > > > involved with the domain. Also PDC can't access WSs shares with
    account
    > > > domain/domainadministrator. If I change a WS a member of workgroup and
    > > then
    > > > back to domain it joins the domain in normal manner. But then there is
    > > > problem because under documents and settings comes a new user name
    which
    > > is
    > > > same as before but number 0001 in the end of it. WSs have special
    > > aplications
    > > > and I really don't want to fix every WS in that way.
    > > >
    > > > Is there any special tool or manner which forces WSs back to domain?
    > >
    > > Assuming that each workstation has one profile that you like, you could
    > > copy that profile to the Default Profile. When you join that workstation
    > > to the domain then it will get a new profile based on the Default
    Profile
    > > you cust created.
    > >
    > > To copy a profile: Control Panel / System / User Profiles / "Copy to".
    > > Select the desired profile as a source and specify
    > > "c:\document and settings\default user" as a target. If the "Copy to"
    > > button is greyed out, reboot the machine and log on under an account
    > > other than the one whose profile you wish to copy.

    OK

    Still this makes sense. Suppose NTFS permissions rules here. I'll check this
    with one or two users and if it's OK I'll use it for all. Thank you Pegasus.

    Juha R.

Domain Servers Windows