rejoining WSs to recreated domain after total server crach

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 3, 2005 2:31:03 AM

Hi

W2k PDC server total crach forced me to reinstall PDC from begin. There is
only one server (PDC, DNS, filesharing) and 25 WSs. I used same settings as
there was, user/computer names, domain-name etc.

Now it seems that WSs aren't really joined in the new domain (I suppose
there is something like "Domain Unique ID" which is changed). WSs can see
server shares but not shares in the other WSs. When I check the security
properties of the folders, there are only local groups and users - noting
involved with the domain. Also PDC can't access WSs shares with account
domain/domainadministrator. If I change a WS a member of workgroup and then
back to domain it joins the domain in normal manner. But then there is a
problem because under documents and settings comes a new user name which is
same as before but number 0001 in the end of it. WSs have special aplications
and I really don't want to fix every WS in that way.

Is there any special tool or manner which forces WSs back to domain?
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 7:40:14 PM

"Juha" <Juha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> W2k PDC server total crach forced me to reinstall PDC from begin. There is
> only one server (PDC, DNS, filesharing) and 25 WSs. I used same settings
as
> there was, user/computer names, domain-name etc.
>
> Now it seems that WSs aren't really joined in the new domain (I suppose
> there is something like "Domain Unique ID" which is changed). WSs can see
> server shares but not shares in the other WSs. When I check the security
> properties of the folders, there are only local groups and users - noting
> involved with the domain. Also PDC can't access WSs shares with account
> domain/domainadministrator. If I change a WS a member of workgroup and
then
> back to domain it joins the domain in normal manner. But then there is a
> problem because under documents and settings comes a new user name which
is
> same as before but number 0001 in the end of it. WSs have special
aplications
> and I really don't want to fix every WS in that way.
>
> Is there any special tool or manner which forces WSs back to domain?

Assuming that each workstation has one profile that you like, you could
copy that profile to the Default Profile. When you join that workstation
to the domain then it will get a new profile based on the Default Profile
you cust created.

To copy a profile: Control Panel / System / User Profiles / "Copy to".
Select the desired profile as a source and specify
"c:\document and settings\default user" as a target. If the "Copy to"
button is greyed out, reboot the machine and log on under an account
other than the one whose profile you wish to copy.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 7:40:15 PM

Thanks Pegasus

This makes sense. I think they have one "local" profile for home use and one
domain profile. They log in usually only into their own WSs. Is there any
security related problems in this procedure? Is it for exsample My Documents
and outlooks .pst files accessible to other domain users if they log in to
other WS?

Juha

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Juha" <Juha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > W2k PDC server total crach forced me to reinstall PDC from begin. There is
> > only one server (PDC, DNS, filesharing) and 25 WSs. I used same settings
> as
> > there was, user/computer names, domain-name etc.
> >
> > Now it seems that WSs aren't really joined in the new domain (I suppose
> > there is something like "Domain Unique ID" which is changed). WSs can see
> > server shares but not shares in the other WSs. When I check the security
> > properties of the folders, there are only local groups and users - noting
> > involved with the domain. Also PDC can't access WSs shares with account
> > domain/domainadministrator. If I change a WS a member of workgroup and
> then
> > back to domain it joins the domain in normal manner. But then there is a
> > problem because under documents and settings comes a new user name which
> is
> > same as before but number 0001 in the end of it. WSs have special
> aplications
> > and I really don't want to fix every WS in that way.
> >
> > Is there any special tool or manner which forces WSs back to domain?
>
> Assuming that each workstation has one profile that you like, you could
> copy that profile to the Default Profile. When you join that workstation
> to the domain then it will get a new profile based on the Default Profile
> you cust created.
>
> To copy a profile: Control Panel / System / User Profiles / "Copy to".
> Select the desired profile as a source and specify
> "c:\document and settings\default user" as a target. If the "Copy to"
> button is greyed out, reboot the machine and log on under an account
> other than the one whose profile you wish to copy.

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 10:09:18 PM

This depends on where your .PST files reside and what NTFS
permissions you have applied. It is not affected by your users'
profiles or where they take their default profile from.

> Thanks Pegasus
>
> This makes sense. I think they have one "local" profile for home use and
one
> domain profile. They log in usually only into their own WSs. Is there any
> security related problems in this procedure? Is it for exsample My
Documents
> and outlooks .pst files accessible to other domain users if they log in to
> other WS?
>
> Juha
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

> > "Juha" <Juha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > W2k PDC server total crach forced me to reinstall PDC from begin.
There is
> > > only one server (PDC, DNS, filesharing) and 25 WSs. I used same
settings
> > as
> > > there was, user/computer names, domain-name etc.
> > >
> > > Now it seems that WSs aren't really joined in the new domain (I
suppose
> > > there is something like "Domain Unique ID" which is changed). WSs can
see
> > > server shares but not shares in the other WSs. When I check the
security
> > > properties of the folders, there are only local groups and users -
noting
> > > involved with the domain. Also PDC can't access WSs shares with
account
> > > domain/domainadministrator. If I change a WS a member of workgroup and
> > then
> > > back to domain it joins the domain in normal manner. But then there is
> > > problem because under documents and settings comes a new user name
which
> > is
> > > same as before but number 0001 in the end of it. WSs have special
> > aplications
> > > and I really don't want to fix every WS in that way.
> > >
> > > Is there any special tool or manner which forces WSs back to domain?
> >
> > Assuming that each workstation has one profile that you like, you could
> > copy that profile to the Default Profile. When you join that workstation
> > to the domain then it will get a new profile based on the Default
Profile
> > you cust created.
> >
> > To copy a profile: Control Panel / System / User Profiles / "Copy to".
> > Select the desired profile as a source and specify
> > "c:\document and settings\default user" as a target. If the "Copy to"
> > button is greyed out, reboot the machine and log on under an account
> > other than the one whose profile you wish to copy.

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 10:09:19 PM

OK

Still this makes sense. Suppose NTFS permissions rules here. I'll check this
with one or two users and if it's OK I'll use it for all. Thank you Pegasus.

Juha R.

!