Sign in with
Your question

It keeps starting up when....

Last response: in Motherboards
January 10, 2007 2:40:45 PM

I finaly installed the new board last night, a Asrock 775Dual-VSTA.
Whenever I plug in the power cord, boom, it turns on automaticaly, no matter what, no matter whether I plug in the pwr btn line to the board or not. This puter worked fine before this trade off also, tested PSU etc....
No display either, no boot screen or nothing...........
8(
Thank you

More about : starting

January 10, 2007 2:54:36 PM

Is the BIOS set to turn on after a power outage?
January 10, 2007 3:09:21 PM

Definitely check what MISRy said. Also check if there's Wake On Ring enabled (WOR), or Wake On Lan (WOL) enabled. Both of those settings are designed to turn the computer on automatically as well.
Related resources
January 10, 2007 3:26:58 PM

Yes, it could be the video card. My apologies, am at work and only get to browse a little bit of the forums.

If there's a video error it might make some beeps. Does it make a single long beep? Or any sound at all?

Maybe swap out the card for a spare and try it.
January 10, 2007 3:52:42 PM

I've been having memory problems but seem to have find the issue in the bios, but the last PC I built had a blank screen on power up. Is your monitor turning on but the screen staying blank, or does the monitor remain in power save mode? If the former then the problem I had was that the first memory stick was defective. Swapping the memory sticks over meant it would boot but on running a full memory test the faulty stick showed up.

If the screen stays in power save mode then you have a complete post failure, which could be almost anything, but if the other components were working previously then suspect a faulty motherboard. I have just built 23 systems with this board (2 to go) and only one has failed to boot due to a faulty board (powered up but no screen output). That one wouldn't turn off on depressing the power switch for an extended period either...
January 10, 2007 4:26:38 PM

Thanks, all of you...
I will try my BFG 6800gt and different memory and see what happens, I am afraid its one of those "brand new failure" boards... lol....
Just never really saw a board power up with the pwrbtn lead from the computer switch not even connected, or even connected to another lead...lol....
January 10, 2007 4:43:23 PM

Recently changed an MB for someone that was showing an almost identical fault. When I cleared the BIOS with the jumper the autostart went away but the MB was dead anyway. What I'm saying is IMHO your MB is dead, the autostart is just misleading. Take everything, except the CPU, out of the MB, memory, cards etc. Clear the BIOS with the jumper. If the board doesn't give any error beeps on turn on then it's probably MB, PSU or CPU (in that order). A cheap voltmeter is always useful.
January 10, 2007 5:29:12 PM

I ordered 2 boards and 2 cpu's so I will use my neato Tech testing station I made to run a test on all of them.........
I hoped it wasnt dead, this means 2 bad problems with 1 shipment from newegg heads, I will bet it all went downhill when they came up with that, uh, really fantastic new punch line, "once you know newegg sumthin sumthin sumthin....lol....
8(
January 10, 2007 5:36:08 PM

I agree, clear the CMOS. It's your only shot. Instructions are in your manual.
January 10, 2007 6:07:25 PM

I learned a long time ago that you can't put a computer together if you only have one of a certain component. One video card, one PSU, one memorry SIPP SIMM DIMM (whatever), one drive, etc.

The reason is: when dubugging issues like this you have to swap parts one component at a time until it starts to work. Of course, the components you're swapping need to be good or the procedure is invalidated.

So the next time you buy parts to build a computer, make sure to get two of everything. Or nowadays, with everything made in China, three or four is a little more realistic.

Personally, I have a collection of spare parts that I've built up over 25 years of upgrades, so I have those testing spares (generally) when I'm putting something together. I've probably thrown more computers away than most have built.
January 10, 2007 7:14:18 PM

Oh I have many many, (too many lol) parts and basicly did swap some of them, just didnt swap vid card and memory since I knew it was good (as well as the other parts should have been good in theroy, they were just working in the same computer before the mobo/vid card swap)
That is a problem, when we do an upgrade we make the "ass-umption" that the parts that we dont change are fine since the computer was working before we upgraded....lol....
I also built a "tech station" work bench so that I could swap things out easily to do "elimination/swap tests.. :roll:
Forgot I even had it. 8O
Thanks everyone,
DaMorbidyone
January 11, 2007 12:57:39 AM

Quote:
I finaly installed the new board last night, a Asrock 775Dual-VSTA.
Whenever I plug in the power cord, boom, it turns on automaticaly, no matter what, no matter whether I plug in the pwr btn line to the board or not. This puter worked fine before this trade off also, tested PSU etc....
No display either, no boot screen or nothing...........
8(
Thank you

Is there a short maybe in the start button or case cables connected to wrong pins?
January 11, 2007 1:33:18 AM

You might have already tried this but your post didn't specify.

If you want to cure this problem stop plugging it in. It won't come on then.
January 11, 2007 3:38:00 PM

LMAO!.. Good one, really!
I could tell my father it is really running, its just to fast to see!
lol... thanks man, I love a sense of humour!
January 11, 2007 3:39:24 PM

I tried every thing possible on the connections, switch running fine...
Board is just dead......(shorted out somewhere or sumthin)
January 11, 2007 4:03:49 PM

Completed the last of my 25 builds today, just one faulty. I think you've been unlucky.

I tracked down that screen switching on but just a flashing cursor and no post though. Turned out to be a faulty Firewire card. Plugged it into a second PC with the same setup and that wouldn't post either.
January 11, 2007 5:09:19 PM

Thanks to everyone that helped!
I cant say how much this place helps with me being bed-ridden alot of the time, not being able to search the net as much as I used to be able to do, etc....
I just want Toms to know how appreciative I am of forumz like this. :D 
Thanks
Larry
DasMorbidOne
!