Sign in with
Your question

PLEASE HELP! Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit to 64bit HELP

Last response: in Windows 7
July 1, 2011 6:01:30 AM

I purchased a CyberPower computer. It came today and I set it up. I got it to start running, but accidently typed in the wrong serial key for the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I didn't know what to do so I put in the recovery disk and reinstalled windows. When I reinstalled windows, it installed Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. I typed in the right serial this time though so it was good in that way, BUT NOW IM STUCK WITH 32-BIT!!! I tried reinstalling it again thinking it might install Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, but it just reinstalled the 32-bit version. What do I do? How can I get my computer to go back to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit version.

I bought this computer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product
I have, and used, a recovery disk that is for Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I tried to do Upgrade, but it said I can only upgrade with the Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit version CD.
PLEASE HELP! :cry: 

I have a driver disk as well, but I think it is for the 64-bit version. I haven't tried it yet because I dont want to make more of a mess.
Thanks A TON for helping

More about : windows home premium 32bit 64bit

July 1, 2011 6:23:38 AM

please reply
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
July 1, 2011 6:34:45 AM

The 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows come on separate disks. If you only have one disk it must be the wrong one - you'll have to go to your vendor and swap it for a 64-bit disk.
m
l
Related resources
July 1, 2011 6:45:14 AM

When you tried to reinstall, did you choose custom? If not, try that.
If it does work, you can format your drive and then reinstall using custom mode to install the 64 bit.
Also don't activate windows intil you have everything setup correctly - gives you 30 days to do so.
m
l
July 1, 2011 6:48:52 AM

Sorry forgot to mention that you can try changing the license key and see what happens.

go to start - Right click on computer - select properties - at the bottom you should see change license key. Try entering the 64 bit.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 1, 2011 9:09:12 AM

Rogue77777 said:
Sorry forgot to mention that you can try changing the license key and see what happens.

go to start - Right click on computer - select properties - at the bottom you should see change license key. Try entering the 64 bit.

Sorry, but that's utter nonsense. Typing in a different key will not magically change it from 32bit to 64bit.

As sminlal said earlier, the disc you install from has to be the 64bit version. They no NOT come on the same disc, not does the serial have anything to do with it. You also cannot upgrade 32bit to 64bit; you have to perform a clean installation with the 64bit disc.
m
l
!