mooney101

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
PW5-DH mobo
XP media center operating system

I"m trying to install my spare IDE drive as a data drive on my new PC. BUt something is causing it to hang on a black screen when starting when it goes to the windows loding screen (the big XP logo on black), the screen never shows and it just hangs on black. Heres what happens. I can start if safe mode, Format the drive and everything. Restart and things start fine. After the first restart it will hang every time I restart the pc, until I either start in safe mode or disconnect the drive. So any ideas what going on? IS this the operating system of the Mobo?

Thanks
Mooney101

PS. my other two main drives are Sata drives. One is for the operating system and one is for the data. This IDE drive I'm installing is to store backup images on and for a scratch disk.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
The drive itself appears in the BIOS? IDE enabled?
Sometimes as a work around I boot the entire system and connect the IDE ribbon once the OS is loaded, device mgr should detect the drive. If you try this you should be able to see the drive as XP sees through the dksmgt mmc, under Computer Management.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Try connecting it on the Secondary IDE channel as Slave to the CD/DVD drive.

That would be putting it on the middle ribbon connection. Check the jumper on the dvd drive to see if it is set as Master.

Alyarbank

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Sounds to me like you may have forgotten to set the jumpers correctly. If you are connecting the drives to the same controller, one of them has to be a master and the other a slave.
If they are connected to separate controllers they should be set to master and any other devices sharing the controller should be set to slave.

:idea:

lurk3r

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I had this issue too, booting off a Raptor, the Seagate used just for data, Seagate failed (twice), causing the system to lock up hard, not boot, not power up. Unplugging (and eventually replacing both Seagate's) fixed the problems.

--edit--

I see some more info here, system was not running yet, which probably means its a master/slave jumper issue, you can either figure out how to configure each yourself, or if your IDE cable has both blue and grey connectors on it, you can use the CSEL setting (cable select, I believe the blue will be master). There also may be issues if both drives are partitioned as startable, but I'm not sure how to change this on media center.

mooney101

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
The drive is on its own single cable with only one slot available so no second connection on the cable to choose from. Its the only IDE drive connected to the CPU the others are SATA. The jumper is sit to master. If I sit it to slave the Bios will freeze up when it goes to detecting IDE drive. I'll double check to make sure I don't have the cable flipped. What is "PIO mode in bios"?

Thanks again

Mooney101

NoCalDrummer

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Three problems that might be the culprit.
- First, be sure the second drive is set to the correct "master/slave" mode. If it's the only drive connected to a specific IDE connector on the motherboard, then it should be set as "Master". If it is not, then it should probably be set as "slave". If it's the Master, then it should be plugged into the cable at the opposite end of the connection to the motherboard. If it's the slave, the connector between the ends should be used.
- Second, while many cables are "keyed" to assure the correct orientation, not all are. Make sure that the cable is in right-side up. An upside-down cable will prevent most systems from starting at all, as they short out the supplies.
- Third (and I've seen this on a well-known brand), is that the power supply is just not up to running it. Some computer manufacturers specify power supplies barely capable of running the motherboard, primary HD, and CD drive. The addition of an add-in card or a second HD (which might require a couple of dozen watts at startup) appears as a "short circuit" to the supply, and it simply shuts down.
Try augmenting the supply with a separate +12V/+5V supply which runs JUST the second IDE drive (one out of a very OLD PC would work just fine). Better yet, get one of those external IDE/USB boxes and put the drive in that. Yes, it won't be as quick as the internal one, but it's fine for storing all those MS-Word documents, your music downloads, pictures from that website, etc. Besides, you can either lock up that data or take it away elsewhere.

mooney101

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
Well power supply shouldn't be a problem. I have a modular 750 watt thermaltake and I have this hard drive and the floppy on its own power line coming out of the supply. :wink: I'll try a few of the suggestions as soon as I can and get back, thanks for all the help.

chogo

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I've ran into a similar problem which was due to the IDE cable.

I was trying to use a 40 conductor cable with a IDE drive at ultra DMA mode 5 and it would freeze my machine with a black screen.

Solved the problem by using an 80 conductor IDE cable.

A 40 conductor cable only supports up to ultra DMA mode 2.

The hard drive was working fine at ultra DMA mode 2 with a 40 conductor IDE cable but I messed with the BIOS settings and that is when it switched to DMA mode 5 and all the problems began. :?