re-install WIN EXPLORER only after virus attack

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

restoring EXPLORER and IEXPLORER after virus infection.

I seem to have lost access to Windows Explorer after a virus infection. I
am now running programs from the task manager (although I can still browse
my computer via task manager).

How do I just re-install explorer from the WIN 2K CD? I also have SP4
installed so will my CD bbe outdated?

Thanks in advance
5 answers Last reply
More about install explorer virus attack
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Check that explorer.exe is the default shell to start. Look at the Reg_Sz
    string value of;
    "Shell"="Explorer.exe"
    found at
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

    The profile may also be corrupt so try creating a new account and logging on
    with that or these may help you.

    No Desktop or Blank Desktop After Logging On to Windows 2000 (Q256194)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q256194

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

    What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

    Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
    network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "JM7" wrote:
    | restoring EXPLORER and IEXPLORER after virus infection.
    |
    | I seem to have lost access to Windows Explorer after a virus infection. I
    | am now running programs from the task manager (although I can still browse
    | my computer via task manager).
    |
    | How do I just re-install explorer from the WIN 2K CD? I also have SP4
    | installed so will my CD bbe outdated?
    |
    | Thanks in advance

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Thanks for your help Dave,

    An upgrade would be too much for me now. I would have to reinstall SP4 etc.

    Explorer won't start as it says a component is missing. I will try to
    create a new account but then I can't as I don't have a START menu and so no
    control panel - could you please tell me how to get to the USERS control
    panel screen when I don't have a CONTROL PANEL. I was looking through all
    the *.cpl files but couln't find one for users.

    I was also hoping you could just re-install explorer by expanding things
    from the CAB files.

    Thanks, John
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    JM7 wrote:
    > Thanks for your help Dave,
    >
    > An upgrade would be too much for me now. I would have to reinstall SP4 etc.

    True, but you could probably do an in-place
    upgrade complete with updates within, say, an hour
    or so. You could spend an awful lot longer than
    that trying to patch things up to save time and
    effort and still end up with a flakey system.

    In my experience it's usually better to bite the
    bullet. In fact, one of the options I always at
    least consider in these circumstances is a clean
    new install.

    Yeah, I know "horror of horrors" and reinstalling
    all the apps and everything. In fact, it's never
    *all* the apps - perhaps nearly half I use so
    infrequently that they are not an issue. And I
    just get all the latest drivers that I need and
    burn them to one CD (I do have a spare sytem to
    download them with).

    Generally, the whole business takes 4 - 6 hours
    including Windows Updates and I get a nice clean
    system. I've always been glad I took the plunge.
    It's the option that most people seem to avoid
    like the plague because of the perceived hassle
    and yet I'm convinced it's often the best (and
    easiest) option.

    Sorry .... soapbox off (:-)
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Task Manager|File|New Task
    control.exe %windir%\nusrmgr.cpl

    --

    "JM7" wrote:
    | Thanks for your help Dave,
    |
    | An upgrade would be too much for me now. I would have to reinstall SP4
    etc.

    | Explorer won't start as it says a component is missing. I will try to
    | create a new account but then I can't as I don't have a START menu and so
    no
    | control panel - could you please tell me how to get to the USERS control
    | panel screen when I don't have a CONTROL PANEL. I was looking through all
    | the *.cpl files but couln't find one for users.
    |
    | I was also hoping you could just re-install explorer by expanding things
    | from the CAB files.
    |
    | Thanks, John

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Related to this problem:

    my explorer started getting flaky when I map drives from other PCs or from a
    Network data server.

    It maps them (as it always did) but goes in and out of connection. so I
    might be browsing the directories and then explorer quits and when I look at
    my mapped files it shows an X as if its disconnected.

    Any help on this would be helpful.

Virus Explorer Task Manager Microsoft Windows