Whirlwind vs Great Cleave Feats

Hiya,

I'm kind of stuck wondering about the Whirlwind attack feat. When is this
supposed to be beneficial to use? If i get mobbed down by 6 weak creatures
its better to let your char Great Cleave them down to size. I can't really
find any situation where Whirlwind is a good tactic to use. Anyone?

Drax

On Mon, 3 May 2004 15:27:13 +0200, "UbeR NuKeR"
<shaveurpussy@largenats.biz> wrote:

>Hiya,
>
>I'm kind of stuck wondering about the Whirlwind attack feat. When is this
>supposed to be beneficial to use? If i get mobbed down by 6 weak creatures
>its better to let your char Great Cleave them down to size. I can't really
>find any situation where Whirlwind is a good tactic to use. Anyone?

Great Cleave only works if you kill the target and most times at mid
to high levels it takes more then one shot to kill. As for Whirlwind
its cost a lot of feats but, its good because in most cases your
character will never get more than 3 attack per round yet Whirlwind
let you hit all enemies near you.

In HotU you face lots of Ogres yet, each one takes more than 1 hit to
kill. With Great Cleave you drop 1 Ogre then hit the next one and if
your very luck you drop him and attack a 3rd Ogre but, don't kill him
ending Great Cleave. With Whirlwind attack you could hit 5 Ogres even
if you miss an Ogre you still get a chance to hit the others.

IMO its Great Cleave that worthless not Whirlwind attack

"UbeR NuKeR" <shaveurpussy@largenats.biz> wrote in message news:<c75hbo$sg6$1@news.dataguard.no>...
> Hiya,
>
> I'm kind of stuck wondering about the Whirlwind attack feat. When is this
> supposed to be beneficial to use? If i get mobbed down by 6 weak creatures
> its better to let your char Great Cleave them down to size. I can't really
> find any situation where Whirlwind is a good tactic to use. Anyone?

It is quite beneficial ... if you're a powerhouse.

As a fighter/weapon master I have enjoyed using Whirlwind Attack when
surrounded by big tough baddies. Great Cleave requires that you *drop*
a foe to get a hit on the other targets. By Whirlwinding, I can make a
good hit against all surrounding foes whether or not any of them
actually drop. After the WA I have many weaker foes surrounding me
that I can then dispatch with my friend ... Mr. Great Cleave.

Whirlwind Attack (cool animation BTW) is not used as often (by me) as
Great Cleave but it is worthwhile if you have the ranks. IMO.

- Sheldon

"Sheldon England" <sheldonengland@netscape.net> wrote in message
> It is quite beneficial ... if you're a powerhouse.
>
> As a fighter/weapon master I have enjoyed using Whirlwind Attack when
> surrounded by big tough baddies. Great Cleave requires that you *drop*
> a foe to get a hit on the other targets. By Whirlwinding, I can make a
> good hit against all surrounding foes whether or not any of them
> actually drop. After the WA I have many weaker foes surrounding me
> that I can then dispatch with my friend ... Mr. Great Cleave.
>
> Whirlwind Attack (cool animation BTW) is not used as often (by me) as
> Great Cleave but it is worthwhile if you have the ranks. IMO.
>

> - Sheldon

I agree with alot of what you say, that seems to be my perspective of the WA
feat too. However, i would rather use all my attacks on 1 mob and kill him
quickly rather than damage alot of mobs slightly. If we take a closer look
at this optimal scenario where every attack is assumed "a hit":

x-x-x
x-o-x
x-x-x

x = Attacker
o = WA enabled hero

Whirlwind Tactic: There are 8 attackers. Say each have 2 attacks per round,
and have 40hps each. Lets say our hero makes average WA attacks that deals
10ish to each mob. He will have to do WA each round for 4 rounds to kill
them all (lets say he hits everytime). In this time, the attackers have made
64 attacks (8*2*4).

1rnd: 16 attacks made (mobs at 30hps)
2rnd: 16 attacks made (mobs at 20hps)
3rnd: 16 attacks made (mobs at 10hps)
4rnd: 16 attacks made (all mobs killed)
5rnd: loot em up

Standard Tactic: Our hero makes 3 attacks per round on 1 mob, maybe 4 if he
is dualwielding weapons (lets forget attack penalties for simplicity) like
my warrior usually does (i switch to shield if the mobs make nasty procs
like level drain etc). In 1 round you would kill 1 mob (lets say he does 10
dmg per swing) plus get a Great Cleave on another mob (also assume 10dmg on
a great cleave attack too).

1rnd: 16 attacks made (4 attacks = 1 mob killed + great cleave on next mob,
mob at 30hps) [1 dead]
2rnd: 14 attacks made (3 attacks = 1 mob killed + great cleave on next mob +
1 normal attack, mob at 20hps) [2 dead]
3rnd: 12 attacks made (2 attacks = 1 mob killed + great cleave on next mob +
2 normal attacks, mob at 10hps) [3 dead]
4rnd: 10 attacks made (1 attack = 1 mob killed + great cleave on next mob +
3 normal attacks, another mob killed + great cleave on next mob, mob at
30hps) [5 dead]
5rnd: 6 attacks made (3 attacks = 1 mob killed + great cleave on next mob +
1 normal attack, mob at 20hps) [6 dead]
6rnd: 4 attacks made (2 attacks = 1 mob killed + great cleave on next mob +
2 normal attacks, mob at 10hps) [7 dead]
7rnd: 2 attacks made (1 attack = 1 mob killed + smoke a phat joint with the
remaining time left in this round) [8 dead]

Which brings us to a total of 64 attacks made against our hero maximum using
just Great Cleave instead of Whirlwind. Ofcourse if we calculated Inititive
rolls and delays it would most likely be less than 64. In this scenario we
also played it in Whirlwinds favor by using attackers on all flanks, and it
still didn't outperform Great Cleave. If we played the same scenario with
only 5 attackers, Whirlwind tactics would yield 40 attacks made against
"hero", and Great Cleave feat would only give the attackers an oppurtunity
for 28 attacks (which is kinda a huge difference in the amount of damage our
hero would be taking).

There are a few things that where not taken into account here. Weapon
delays, initiatives, time of death within rounds. But these basics make
Whirlwind look very grim. The only thing Whirlwind has over using Great
Cleave and normal attacks is that Whirlwind is made at maximum attack bonus,
and you kill everything in shorter time, especially good if your momma is
yelling at you to get off the computer and go to bed etc. I'm not sure my
math is correct, or if i drank one too many beers, but this seems to be my
perception in game too... Whirlwind feat is nice to look at (cool graphics),
but in actuall combat situations it's just hype, unless your momma or GF are
nagging at you to hurry up and your HP bar isn't a problem. I think i gotta
look more at this situation. I almost never have 8 mobs surrounding me,
unless its orcs which usually die with 1 hit and that causes my hero to
cleave everything and slaughter everything within a round anyway. Maybe
Whirlwind was made as a meatcleaver so u could kill trashmobs faster to
reach the casters thats nuking away at you from a distance. I usually always
charge the casters first anyway, then slaughter the fighters.

IMO, they need to beef up whirlwind to make it more worthwhile using on the
computer (its easier in p&p to get flanked, because the mobs are aware of
eachother, in NWN AI, the creatures seem to not care whether their friends
are in melee range or not and block them out hehe). Or maybe i'm still
missing the point... comments are welcome.

PS: I still want my FPS mode NWN !!!! Grrr :)

UbeR
(Retired Everquest Player)

Drax

On Tue, 4 May 2004 05:36:20 +0200, "UbeR NuKeR"
> [...]

>mob at 30hps) [1 dead]
>2rnd: 14 attacks made (3 attacks = 1 mob killed + great cleave on next mob +
>1 normal attack, mob at 20hps) [2 dead]
>3rnd: 12 attacks made (2 attacks = 1 mob killed + great cleave on next mob +
>2 normal attacks, mob at 10hps) [3 dead]
>4rnd: 10 attacks made (1 attack = 1 mob killed + great cleave on next mob +
>3 normal attacks, another mob killed + great cleave on next mob, mob at
>30hps) [5 dead]
>5rnd: 6 attacks made (3 attacks = 1 mob killed + great cleave on next mob +
>1 normal attack, mob at 20hps) [6 dead]
>6rnd: 4 attacks made (2 attacks = 1 mob killed + great cleave on next mob +
>2 normal attacks, mob at 10hps) [7 dead]
>7rnd: 2 attacks made (1 attack = 1 mob killed + smoke a phat joint with the
>remaining time left in this round) [8 dead]
snip

>UbeR
>(Retired Everquest Player)

I think you confused Cleave and Great Cleave? Everything you said
applies to Cleave, when you kill someone you get a free attack. Great
Cleave just lets you Cleave more than once a round. In most cases
your not going to kill more then 1 enemy a round so, you really don't
need Great Cleave.

"Drax" <Drax@never.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> >30hps) [5 dead]
> >5rnd: 6 attacks made (3 attacks = 1 mob killed + great cleave on next mob
+
> >1 normal attack, mob at 20hps) [6 dead]
> >6rnd: 4 attacks made (2 attacks = 1 mob killed + great cleave on next mob
+
> >2 normal attacks, mob at 10hps) [7 dead]
> >7rnd: 2 attacks made (1 attack = 1 mob killed + smoke a phat joint with
the
> >remaining time left in this round) [8 dead]
> snip
> >
> >UbeR
> >(Retired Everquest Player)
> >

> I think you confused Cleave and Great Cleave? Everything you said
> applies to Cleave, when you kill someone you get a free attack. Great
> Cleave just lets you Cleave more than once a round. In most cases
> your not going to kill more then 1 enemy a round so, you really don't

All depends on what your fighting.

> > It is quite beneficial ... if you're a powerhouse.
> >
> I agree with alot of what you say ... However, i would
> rather use all my attacks on 1 mob and kill him quickly
> rather than damage alot of mobs slightly.

Oh sure ... agreed.

> IMO, they need to beef up whirlwind to make it more
> worthwhile using on the computer (its easier in p&p to
> get flanked, because the mobs are aware of eachother,
> in NWN AI, the creatures seem to not care whether their
> friends are in melee range or not and block them out hehe).
> Or maybe i'm still missing the point... comments are welcome.

Heh. FWIW I agree that WA seems cooler than it actually is.
Considering the experience and feats required to achieve it, Whirlwind
Attack could be a bit more potent for my liking.

I also dislike that, *after* a WA, I have to again select (click on) a
new opponent to attack as my character stands stupidly gawking at the
foes surrounding him. A minor inconvenience but a PITA nonetheless.

> PS: I still want my FPS mode NWN !!!! Grrr :)

With the new HotU zoom-in and over the shoulder I find the NwN
compromise quite acceptible. I mainly explore this way and only 'zoom
out' when I get disoriented ... which is happening less and less with
experience.

> UbeR
> (Retired Everquest Player)

No serious players ever truly retire ... they just get distracted by
new challenges. ;p

- Sheldon