dl

I have an app that has started generating errors - previously OK -
The vendor says its a system problem and thus cannot help, of course!
The error, only occurs when using one specific 'menu part' of the App.
According to Dr.Watson it appears to be an application 'stack overflow' but
I'm having difficulty in interpreting the log any further.
Any guidence?
thanks

dl

PS the log is 26kb if it helps I'll attach.

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> I have an app that has started generating errors - previously OK -
> The vendor says its a system problem and thus cannot help, of course!
> The error, only occurs when using one specific 'menu part' of the App.
> According to Dr.Watson it appears to be an application 'stack overflow'
but
> I'm having difficulty in interpreting the log any further.
> Any guidence?
> thanks

Assuming the OS is OK, just the appspace is crashing:

- Check that app sets its own stack size(s); see if there's a way to
enlarge that allocation. I believe it's normally the case than an app
declares the stacksize it needs.
- Check that no infinite recursion can be set up by any use of the app;
this will blow away any stack.
- Check that under no conditions will the app place a very large demand
(like a large matrix) on the stack.

App tech support might be willing to explore the above with you.

MS might be willing to tell you whether there's a "trigger" condition
involving stack allocation at which point the sys will kill the app. Or,
conceivably, refuse to fully honor a stackspace request and regardless
of consequences.

DL wrote:
> PS the log is 26kb if it helps I'll attach.
>
> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
>
>>I have an app that has started generating errors - previously OK -
>>The vendor says its a system problem and thus cannot help, of course!
>>The error, only occurs when using one specific 'menu part' of the App.
>>According to Dr.Watson it appears to be an application 'stack overflow'
>
> but
>
>>I'm having difficulty in interpreting the log any further.
>>Any guidence?
>>thanks

dl

ugh!

Unfortunately the vendor simply repeats that it is a sys problem - it is a
bus. app, purportedly much used -
Because of the numerous protection (copying app) features built into the
installation I am unable to 'simply' uninstall and reinstall on a different
system to test.

ta

"Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
> Assuming the OS is OK, just the appspace is crashing:
>
> - Check that app sets its own stack size(s); see if there's a way to
> enlarge that allocation. I believe it's normally the case than an app
> declares the stacksize it needs.
> - Check that no infinite recursion can be set up by any use of the app;
> this will blow away any stack.
> - Check that under no conditions will the app place a very large demand
> (like a large matrix) on the stack.
>
> App tech support might be willing to explore the above with you.
>
> MS might be willing to tell you whether there's a "trigger" condition
> involving stack allocation at which point the sys will kill the app. Or,
> conceivably, refuse to fully honor a stackspace request and regardless
> of consequences.
>
> DL wrote:
> > PS the log is 26kb if it helps I'll attach.
> >
> > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> >
> >>I have an app that has started generating errors - previously OK -
> >>The vendor says its a system problem and thus cannot help, of course!
> >>The error, only occurs when using one specific 'menu part' of the App.
> >>According to Dr.Watson it appears to be an application 'stack overflow'
> >
> > but
> >
> >>I'm having difficulty in interpreting the log any further.
> >>Any guidence?
> >>thanks

dl

Further,
From the err.log how do I, within registry or?, identify the application
shown in the error log as 'PID=1944'
searching regedit produces nil
ta

> ugh!
>
> Unfortunately the vendor simply repeats that it is a sys problem - it is a
> bus. app, purportedly much used -
> Because of the numerous protection (copying app) features built into the
> installation I am unable to 'simply' uninstall and reinstall on a
different
> system to test.
>
> ta
>
> "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
> > Assuming the OS is OK, just the appspace is crashing:
> >
> > - Check that app sets its own stack size(s); see if there's a way to
> > enlarge that allocation. I believe it's normally the case than an app
> > declares the stacksize it needs.
> > - Check that no infinite recursion can be set up by any use of the app;
> > this will blow away any stack.
> > - Check that under no conditions will the app place a very large demand
> > (like a large matrix) on the stack.
> >
> > App tech support might be willing to explore the above with you.
> >
> > MS might be willing to tell you whether there's a "trigger" condition
> > involving stack allocation at which point the sys will kill the app. Or,
> > conceivably, refuse to fully honor a stackspace request and regardless
> > of consequences.
> >
> > DL wrote:
> > > PS the log is 26kb if it helps I'll attach.
> > >
> > > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message

> > > but

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hi DL,
Don't hate it when application support staff wont support the application :)
Anyway....
Check out this page
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/drwatson_logfile.mspx
it say XP but I think the info is the same for 2000. They removed the
2000 link. Bastards!!
The PID and app name are under the Task list section.

Hope this helps.
Dave

DL wrote:
> Further,
> From the err.log how do I, within registry or?, identify the application
> shown in the error log as 'PID=1944'
> searching regedit produces nil
> ta
>
> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
>
>>ugh!
>>
>>Unfortunately the vendor simply repeats that it is a sys problem - it is a
>>bus. app, purportedly much used -
>>Because of the numerous protection (copying app) features built into the
>>installation I am unable to 'simply' uninstall and reinstall on a
>
> different
>
>>system to test.
>>
>>ta
>>
>>"Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Assuming the OS is OK, just the appspace is crashing:
>>>
>>>- Check that app sets its own stack size(s); see if there's a way to
>>>enlarge that allocation. I believe it's normally the case than an app
>>>declares the stacksize it needs.
>>>- Check that no infinite recursion can be set up by any use of the app;
>>>this will blow away any stack.
>>>- Check that under no conditions will the app place a very large demand
>>>(like a large matrix) on the stack.
>>>
>>>App tech support might be willing to explore the above with you.
>>>
>>>MS might be willing to tell you whether there's a "trigger" condition
>>>involving stack allocation at which point the sys will kill the app. Or,
>>>conceivably, refuse to fully honor a stackspace request and regardless
>>>of consequences.

> overflow'

dl

Thanks, silly me was not reading the log correctly :(

Presumably the module listing that follows, in the log, refer to the modules
loaded by the App that generated the error?
However the module list is only a list of addresses, no names are given.
This means they are not win modules?

ta

"Dave" <BillG@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi DL,
> Don't hate it when application support staff wont support the application
:)
> Anyway....
> Check out this page

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/drwatson_logfile.mspx
> it say XP but I think the info is the same for 2000. They removed the
> 2000 link. Bastards!!
> The PID and app name are under the Task list section.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Dave
>

> DL wrote:
> > Further,
> > From the err.log how do I, within registry or?, identify the application
> > shown in the error log as 'PID=1944'
> > searching regedit produces nil
> > ta
> >
> > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> >
> >>ugh!
> >>
> >>Unfortunately the vendor simply repeats that it is a sys problem - it is
> >>bus. app, purportedly much used -
> >>Because of the numerous protection (copying app) features built into the
> >>installation I am unable to 'simply' uninstall and reinstall on a
> >
> > different
> >
> >>system to test.
> >>
> >>ta
> >>
> >>"Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message

Or,

App.

> > overflow'

Dunno if this helps, but Task Manager gives PIDs with module names.

DL wrote:
> Thanks, silly me was not reading the log correctly :(
>
> Presumably the module listing that follows, in the log, refer to the modules
> loaded by the App that generated the error?
> However the module list is only a list of addresses, no names are given.
> This means they are not win modules?
>
> ta
>
> "Dave" <BillG@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi DL,
>>Don't hate it when application support staff wont support the application
>
> :)
>
>>Anyway....
>>Check out this page
>>

> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/drwatson_logfile.mspx
>
>>it say XP but I think the info is the same for 2000. They removed the
>>2000 link. Bastards!!
>>The PID and app name are under the Task list section.
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>>Dave
>>

>>DL wrote:
>>
>>>Further,
>>>From the err.log how do I, within registry or?, identify the application
>>>shown in the error log as 'PID=1944'
>>>searching regedit produces nil
>>>ta
>>>
>>>"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message

>>>different

> Or,

> App.

>>>overflow'

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Maybe this can help
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

Dave

DL wrote:
> Thanks, silly me was not reading the log correctly :(
>
> Presumably the module listing that follows, in the log, refer to the modules
> loaded by the App that generated the error?
> However the module list is only a list of addresses, no names are given.
> This means they are not win modules?
>
> ta
>
> "Dave" <BillG@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi DL,
>>Don't hate it when application support staff wont support the application
>
> :)
>
>>Anyway....
>>Check out this page
>>

> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/drwatson_logfile.mspx
>
>>it say XP but I think the info is the same for 2000. They removed the
>>2000 link. Bastards!!
>>The PID and app name are under the Task list section.
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>>Dave
>>

>>DL wrote:
>>
>>>Further,
>>>From the err.log how do I, within registry or?, identify the application
>>>shown in the error log as 'PID=1944'
>>>searching regedit produces nil
>>>ta
>>>
>>>"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message

>>>different

> Or,

> App.

>>>overflow'

dl

Thanks, unfortunately I have insufficient expertise to determin, using this
or Dependancy Walker as to whether the problem lies with the sys or the