Sign in with
Your question

Upgraded CPU and motherboard with OEM license

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
July 1, 2011 6:57:30 AM

I recently about two weeks ago upgrade from an i3 530 and msi p55a-g55 to an i5 2500k and msi p67a-gd65 and if it's relevant, I changed my graphics card from a 5750 to 560 ti. I had the OEM version of Windows 7 home premium and had heard I'd end up having to buy a new copy and also heard that with all the drivers for 7 that everything should work fine.

Well, the day I swapped in the new parts, everything was just fine and I was asked to activate windows, I did, and everything was still okay. After a couple of days though some of my programs like superantispyware (just downloaded), starcraft II, and gamespy comrade won't open. Trend Micro says there's no virus yet I can't for the life of me get these programs to open and most of the time the computer just seems to be slow. I've tried to restore multiple times and that didn't fix anything.

So my question is, do I need to get a new copy of Windows 7 and if I do can I get the upgrade version? Since I'm a student I can get the Windows 7 professional upgrade for $30 which seems to be the most logical choice if a new Windows license is going to fix my problem. Also, if I do have to reinstall Windows, do I have to back up my entire HDD or can I back up just my school files and my games since those are the only two things that I use my computer for? Thanks for any help on this matter.
a c 353 $ Windows 7
July 1, 2011 2:05:00 PM

If Windows installed OK and activated, it would not be causing anything to be slow or not open. If you change your motherboard, you do need to re-activate Windows 7 though, but that looks to be set.

Do a scan with another virus program like Avira, they have a rescue disk you can boot do and do a scan, don't even have to install anything.

The upgrade version won't work for you as you don't have a old windows version to upgrade from. But as I said, if Windows installed OK and the key registered, getting yet another version won't fix things. You can try to do a full re-installation again though, maybe with a new hard-drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 1, 2011 4:16:26 PM

If you changed the motherboard and CPU by rights windows 7 home OEM won't activate. It may be giving you a false activation. If you upgrade from win Home to win 7 pro you should be ok. Check Microsoft web site for more info on upgrading and also ask support about if it is really activating. I would backup all the files you want to save to be on the safe side.
m
l
Related resources
July 1, 2011 4:32:46 PM

Well I ran Avira and it didn't find any viruses either. What happens if I do upgrade to professional and want to reformat the HDD afterwards? Does it come with recovery disks so that I can reload the operating system or would I need the retail version of windows to do that? At this point I can't think of much else to do other than reinstall windows. I just want to make sure I don't lose any of my other games or programs or documents in the process that do work.
m
l
a c 353 $ Windows 7
July 1, 2011 4:50:41 PM

If you re-install Windows you will have to re-install the applications as well, but unless you format the drive you will have your files.

If you get a new Windows 7 version it will come with a disk, you use that to reload it again.

To backup your saved games though you need to find out how for each game.
m
l
July 1, 2011 5:00:04 PM

If I get the upgrade to 7 professional since it is the cheapest route for me to go and just install it does it automatically delete the current applications, programs, games, etc? Also, if I get the upgrade, install it, and then decide to format the hard drive, will the upgrade version come with recovery disks? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just completely clueless when it comes to the these types of scenarios and I appreciate the help so far.
m
l
July 2, 2011 6:38:09 PM

Well, I ran chkdsk as well and got nothing from it, so I'm assuming that my only hope now is to reinstall the OS?
m
l
a c 353 $ Windows 7
July 5, 2011 3:16:56 PM

Re-installing Windows fixes pretty much anything that's an issue with hardware. You may even be able to use your old OEM version if you call MS and see what they can do to get you a new activation key. I have read quite a few times where they got a new key even after a motherboard has been swapped. Just try not to mention that till later :-)
m
l
July 5, 2011 10:10:06 PM

Well now some of the non-working programs run while others don't. Those that don't, it won't let me uninstall either so I guess a new install of windows is in the future.
m
l
!