Can't add/remove software apps on w2k member server

Hello:

A w2k member server doesn’t allow to install the application Power Console
(LSI Logic) for a MegaRAID SCSI cage.

Background: I need to expand a RAID 5 on the server by adding another SCSI
drive, the process consists of two steps:
1. Enable a setting on the MegaRAID BIOS utility to allow RAID expansion.
2. Install the application Power Console on the server to perform the RAID
expansion.
The first process was successful. The second one is the actual problem and I
will describe in detail as follow:

A. The installation processes begins and at the stage were the Windows
Installer Services is running the process halts. No error is display or log
on the event viewer, the process just stays there forever. I try to uninstall
other applications that are misbehaving (Norton antivirus, ARCServer) and the
same thing happens. To fix these I check the location and path of the Windows
Installer services and its fine, then I re-register and Re-installed it to be
sure, also I run a SFC and a chkdsk on the server and the same problem
remains.

B. Boot in safe mode and try to install the Power Console and the following
error is displayed: “ 1607 Unable to Install installshield Scripting…Run time
error..”. To fix this I followed the indications of InstallShield web site
and renamed the driver folder for the installshield files and try to install
an updated software to match the version of the Installshield program on the
Power Console app, the installation of the upgrade failed in safe mode saying
the Windows installer service couldn’t be contacted and in normal mode the
installation process hangs the same way the Power Console app.

I look on the event viewer like a 100 times and I don’t see anything related
to these issue, the strange things is that I can’t even uninstall
applications like the ARCServer or the Norton Antivirus. Also, the Norton
Auto-protect service is disable and I can’t enable it. In addition, I can’t
enable or disable Services in windows normal mode only in Safe mode, if I try
to disable or re-start a service the process takes forever and then fails.

I’m out of Ideas, can anybody help me.

Thanks in Advance
Alvaro Soto

These two may help you.

http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

System with APC Powerchute 6.x UPS Software gives strange symptoms
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555386/

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Alvaro Soto" wrote:
| Hello:
|
| A w2k member server doesn't allow to install the application Power Console
| (LSI Logic) for a MegaRAID SCSI cage.
|
| Background: I need to expand a RAID 5 on the server by adding another SCSI
| drive, the process consists of two steps:
| 1. Enable a setting on the MegaRAID BIOS utility to allow RAID expansion.
| 2. Install the application Power Console on the server to perform the RAID
| expansion.
| The first process was successful. The second one is the actual problem and
| will describe in detail as follow:
|
| A. The installation processes begins and at the stage were the Windows
| Installer Services is running the process halts. No error is display or
log
| on the event viewer, the process just stays there forever. I try to
uninstall
| other applications that are misbehaving (Norton antivirus, ARCServer) and
the
| same thing happens. To fix these I check the location and path of the
Windows
| Installer services and its fine, then I re-register and Re-installed it to
be
| sure, also I run a SFC and a chkdsk on the server and the same problem
| remains.
|
| B. Boot in safe mode and try to install the Power Console and the
following
| error is displayed: " 1607 Unable to Install installshield Scripting.Run
time
| error..". To fix this I followed the indications of InstallShield web site
| and renamed the driver folder for the installshield files and try to
install
| an updated software to match the version of the Installshield program on
the
| Power Console app, the installation of the upgrade failed in safe mode
saying
| the Windows installer service couldn't be contacted and in normal mode the
| installation process hangs the same way the Power Console app.
|
| I look on the event viewer like a 100 times and I don't see anything
related
| to these issue, the strange things is that I can't even uninstall
| applications like the ARCServer or the Norton Antivirus. Also, the Norton
| Auto-protect service is disable and I can't enable it. In addition, I can't
| enable or disable Services in windows normal mode only in Safe mode, if I
try
| to disable or re-start a service the process takes forever and then fails.
|
| I'm out of Ideas, can anybody help me.
|
| Thanks in Advance
| Alvaro Soto

Mr. Patrick:

Thank you very much for the input, it help me to fix the issue.

Best regards
Alvaro Soto

Good to hear. You're welcome.